Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pontoon Rental (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26658)

stingray 01-03-2021 02:08 PM

Pontoon Rental

I have my 83 year old parents and 55 and up siblings coming to the Lake early June. I thought it would be nice to rent a pontoon for the week vs getting them in and out of my bow rider. Then I looked at prices for a 7 day rental. Could anyone recommend a reasonable place to rent a pontoon even if it is away from the lake and I would need to trailer and return?

Patofnaud 01-03-2021 02:53 PM

Not sure how competitive they are, but Winni Marine (old Channel) can't seem to keep rentals available. They have a major fleet and roll over a majority of it each year for new models and they are rented out constantly. I'm guessing they have over 40 rentals.

I'd get my request in early, and I would assume weekly rentals get priority.

granitebox 01-03-2021 03:43 PM

Y Landing Marina has a couple pontoons they rent - might be worth a shot as they are just not in the main tourist stream.

stingray 01-03-2021 03:49 PM

This was the 1st place I looked. It ranges from $320/day for an 8 seater to $640/day for a 14 seater.
I need a 12 seater that goes for $480/day or $3360 for a week. It almost makes sense to buy a used one and sell it when done.

Sue Doe-Nym 01-03-2021 04:14 PM

Thoughtful offspring

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingray (Post 348773)
I have my 83 year old parents and 55 and up siblings coming to the Lake early June. I thought it would be nice to rent a pontoon for the week vs getting them in and out of my bow rider. Then I looked at prices for a 7 day rental. Could anyone recommend a reasonable place to rent a pontoon even if it is away from the lake and I would need to trailer and return?

What a nice guy you are! My husband and I want to know if you would adopt us since we are about your parents’ ages.

Flotnjr 01-03-2021 06:44 PM

That is the going rate, and the bad news it's not looking like this coming summer is going to be any less busy than 2020. Finding a deal might be hard, and it probably will only be a couple hundred dollars. Not that's a drop in the bucket, but $3,300 v. $3,000 doesn't sound like a good value. Your idea isn't bad about buying one and selling, as the pontoon market is hot. You're still going to have to spend $8,000 to get something that is 15 years old with a decent running motor in decent shape. You will most likely get your whole investment back, but have to pony up more and deal with the buying/selling process. Just my .02. Good luck with which ever way you go!

winterh 01-03-2021 08:54 PM

I know it may not be easy to get them in and out of the bow rider but for way less than $3000 you can hire a crew to lift them in and out.

Sue Doe-Nym 01-03-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterh (Post 348794)
I know it may not be easy to get them in and out of the bow rider but for way less than $3000 you can hire a crew to lift them in and out.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. We are still able to get in and out of our bow rider.....both over 80, but it’s definitely not as easy as a few years back. There must be a way to do it without the hassle of renting a pontoon. Best of luck with it, however you manage it.

Descant 01-04-2021 12:27 PM

Share?

Will you use the rental every day? Perhaps, through this Forum, you can find somebody nearby who will share the rental for that week?

tis 01-04-2021 02:23 PM

This is kind of expensive (although if you rent a boat for a week, it will pay for itself) but maybe you could make something like this?

http://boardingramp.com

upthesaukee 01-04-2021 03:47 PM

Good at your own dock

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 348814)
This is kind of expensive (although if you rent a boat for a week, it will pay for itself) but maybe you could make something like this?

That device is good at your own dock, but doesn't look portable. It wouldn't do much good at the Weirs, Meridith, Alton Bay, etc.

Dave

Descant 01-04-2021 04:13 PM

Ramps

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 348814)

I've seen these in a variety of configurations, especially where the tide has an impact. Mostly they attach to the boat, often with a step and then a 90 degree turn so the plank doesn't extend across the dock very far. On a smaller boat, you might need a step inside to come down from the gunwale. I bet they cost the same as renting a 'toon for the week.

tis 01-04-2021 06:06 PM

Agree, but maybe he could adapt it if he is handy. Or get someone to make him one that would work but not be as heavy or awkward. Just a thought? I remember when my mom had a hard time getting into the boat.

thinkxingu 01-04-2021 08:29 PM

For my father, it was less about the step up or down than it was the stability of the surfaces—he could "easily" get on and off our 'toon when it was beached, but when free floating, he would stumble when it would bob under his weight.

To deal with this, we would tighten up the dock lines when it was his turn and have him enter where he had solid handholds.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Descant 01-04-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 348830)
For my father, it was less about the step up or down than it was the stability of the surfaces—he could "easily" get on and off our 'toon when it was beached, but when free floating, he would stumble when it would bob under his weight.
To deal with this, we would tighten up the dock lines when it was his turn and have him enter where he had solid handholds.

Good luck!

Yes, but you already had a pontoon boat. The question is about renting a pontoon vs. an owned bow rider and $3300 to rent a 'toon for a week.
Recall when a pre-toddler learns to go down stairs "on his bum"? There are similar ways an elder or handicapped person can be mobile. Physical and Occupational therapists are experts at site visits and suggesting mobility solutions.

thinkxingu 01-04-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 348838)
Yes, but you already had a pontoon boat. The question is about renting a pontoon vs. an owned bow rider and $3300 to rent a 'toon for a week.
Recall when a pre-toddler learns to go down stairs "on his bum"? There are similar ways an elder or handicapped person can be mobile. Physical and Occupational therapists are experts at site visits and suggesting mobility solutions.

My point was that the OP's parents may be in a similar situation—that even if they rented a pontoon, the problem might still exist as it did with mine: that the step down/up was less of an issue than the bobbing of the vessel, which a pontoon wouldn't necessarily solve and, depending on size and design, could be worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

SAMIAM 01-05-2021 08:03 AM

# 1 accidents on the water is getting in and out of boats.....current,waves,tide,slippery surfaces,whatever.
When a person falls between the dock and the boat some very serious injuries
can happen
Have a step stool in my boat and a grab bar on the dock post.We all "team up"
to help an elderly or compromised person getting on or off the boat.