Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mount One! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22241)

sarahk718 07-09-2017 06:32 PM

Mount One!

When the Mount passes by, the first person to notice it at our cabin yells "Mount One"; a chorus of "Mount Two", "Mount Three", and so forth among family and cabin guests soon follows. This was a staple of my childhood summers at the lake, and my now, almost adult children have always played along with great gusto. Urged by my kids, I recently asked my father where this tradition came from. My father said he didn't know because he had played the same "game" since his childhood at the lake, as did many of his other summer friends at neighboring cabins. So I pose this question to the forum....who else plays our silly game?

Formula260SS 07-09-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahk718 (Post 281538)
When the Mount passes by, the first person to notice it at our cabin yells "Mount One"; a chorus of "Mount Two", "Mount Three", and so forth among family and cabin guests soon follows. This was a staple of my childhood summers at the lake, and my now, almost adult children have always played along with great gusto. Urged by my kids, I recently asked my father where this tradition came from. My father said he didn't know because he had played the same "game" since his childhood at the lake, as did many of his other summer friends at neighboring cabins. So I pose this question to the forum....who else plays our silly game?

We call out "spotted it" first one wins

Reilly 07-10-2017 04:53 AM

Lsp

I believe it may have started in Lake Shore Park, My wife has been doing it for her entire life & got it from her grandparents who were original owners of the park, It still continues with our kids & grandkids today

winniskier 07-10-2017 05:33 AM

Lake Shore Park?

This has been a tradition in Chanticleer Shores (in front of Broadview in Gilford) for all my life. Since many of the families started in LSP in the 1950s, I figured it came from there. Any from LSP want to comment?

Donzi Minx 07-10-2017 05:51 AM

Mount Washington FIRST

Well there were 12 of us all in one spot at my uncles cottage in West Alton and by Gawd there would be necks straining to see who could catch a glimpse of the Mount first. And the ensuing "no you didn't, I did, what great childhood memories.

Just yesterday out in the boat, #3 son exclaims "Mount Washington First" so the tradition sticks!

Doobs41378 07-10-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniskier (Post 281554)
This has been a tradition in Chanticleer Shores (in front of Broadview in Gilford) for all my life. Since many of the families started in LSP in the 1950s, I figured it came from there. Any from LSP want to comment?

My family have 2 places in LSP and I have been saying Mount 1 for about 35 years now. I just thought everyone did it. No idea why I thought that.

Barney Bear 07-10-2017 06:54 AM

Flashing the Mount

For many years, we have turned our dock lights on and off as the Mount approaches our location on East Bear Island. Frequently, the Mount acknowledges our greeting, and returns the salute by flashing her lights near the pilot house. Thank you, Mount!

chaseisland 07-10-2017 07:45 AM

Still looking from our front porch, haven't seen her yet.

neckdweller 07-10-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 281563)
For many years, we have turned our dock lights on and off as the Mount approaches our location on East Bear Island. Frequently, the Mount acknowledges our greeting, and returns the salute by flashing her lights near the pilot house. Thank you, Mount!

Saw your post title before reading and thought you were going in a completely different direction.:laugh:

Barney Bear 07-10-2017 09:04 AM

Flashing the Mount Update

Years ago, our family and guests were on a dinner cruise on the Mount. On this cruise, she passed between Varney Point and Locke's Island and on through Glendale Harbor. On Locke's Island, lights were flashing to greet the Mount as she passed by. The Mount turned her searchlight on to respond. The beam picked up a group of young men on a dock "flashing" back. The searchlight was quickly turned off. 😱

Tallyho 07-10-2017 09:04 AM

This was also a tradition in Alton Bay, but it was, "I see the Mount first". I picked it up from my family in the 1950s, so who knows how long it been going on.

hapeboatr 07-10-2017 01:33 PM

Whether at our house or on our boat you always want to be the first one to say "there's the Mount!"

chachee52 07-10-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 281561)
My family have 2 places in LSP and I have been saying Mount 1 for about 35 years now. I just thought everyone did it. No idea why I thought that.

Same here, My father's been in LSP for ~ 70 years, I all my life. Everyone still yelling it all up and down the beach. Although as a I kid I do remember it was Mt By 1, now its shortened to Mount 1.
Also, Since I was a kid, when the Mount was first spotted in the afternoon I remember that was when all the adults went up to get their drinks. Now that the Mount doesn't have the same schedule, I just say the first time you see it is a good time to get a drink :laugh:

Aunt Lula 07-10-2017 05:50 PM

I love this! We are on Wentworth, so no Mount sightings for us. Over the years, we would wait to hear Camp Bernadette play taps.

Doobs41378 07-11-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 281634)
Same here, My father's been in LSP for ~ 70 years, I all my life. Everyone still yelling it all up and down the beach. Although as a I kid I do remember it was Mt By 1, now its shortened to Mount 1.
Also, Since I was a kid, when the Mount was first spotted in the afternoon I remember that was when all the adults went up to get their drinks. Now that the Mount doesn't have the same schedule, I just say the first time you see it is a good time to get a drink :laugh:

Then I would assume your father knows/knew my grandparents as I believe they have been there for 60 or so years at least.

chachee52 07-11-2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 281681)
Then I would assume your father knows/knew my grandparents as I believe they have been there for 60 or so years at least.

Probably, We know pretty much everyone. Or used to. Now I just sit in my grandfather's spot on the porch listening to the Red Sox games like he used to.

Kings Bluff 07-12-2017 08:50 AM

Love it! But I still miss the sound of the Mount approaching with the old engines.

chattypatty 07-12-2017 02:13 PM

My ex-husbands family grew up at LSP and moved over to Chanticleer Shores with the original families. I spent many weekends and vacations there as did my daughter. I remember all of the kids waiting and watching to see who would yell it first. When I am up there even now and see the Mount, the first thing out of my mouth is " Mount One!!"

gravy boat 07-12-2017 06:54 PM

Mount One!

I recall "Mount 1" for as long I can remember at Lake Shore Park. And that goes back to the mid 60s. We left the Park in the 70s but we and our numerous family members still play at Aqua Vue and around the lake - we are everywhere up here. :)

Dickie B from HB - did you, Mom and Uncle Bill play this at LSP as kids?

Susie