Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vehicle through the ice... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20243)

upthesaukee 02-12-2016 12:39 PM

Vehicle through the ice...

Just heard a tone on the scanner for a vehicle through the ice in the vicinity of Whaleback Is. as seen from Bryant Point. Caller reported two or three people in the water, trying to swim to shore.

Call was for the air boat and other emergency equipment.

Call came in about 5 or 6 minutes ago, and the boat is enroute to the lake.

ishoot308 02-12-2016 12:58 PM

???

Where is that??....

Pricestavern 02-12-2016 01:27 PM

Locale

Whaleback Island is up near the split between Lee's Mill and Green's Basin

winni83 02-12-2016 01:38 PM

Near Marker 50 I believe.

Shreddy 02-12-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 257030)
Where is that??....

It's the island that is in between the two no wake zones. It separates Balmoral Bay from Lee's mills.

dam1960 02-12-2016 02:15 PM

Always a bit of a slush spot there between the island and main land, if that's the spot it happened. Even on a good ice winter.

upthesaukee 02-12-2016 03:23 PM

Sorry, I had to leave the house after my initial post..

Had to leave before the responders got on scene, and I have looked at WMUR, Union Leader, and WBIN, and see no new info. Guess we will have to wait for the 11 o'clock news or tomorrow for more info.

webmaster 02-12-2016 05:51 PM

http://www.unionleader.com/Large-veh...-Winnipesaukee

http://www.citizen.com/news/2016-02-...onborough.html

gwhite13 02-12-2016 07:24 PM

I believe two snowmobilers drown right there a few years ago, late at night. Always thin ice in that area. Hope for the best.

Phantom 02-16-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 257046)
http://www.citizen.com/news/2016-02-12/Front_Page/SUV_goes_through_ice_in_Moultonborough.html[/URL]

Don -

Your second link is a dead link unfortunately

VitaBene 02-16-2016 09:28 AM

Both people in the Suburban are OK. The SUV was still in the water last night. It is a difficult spot to recover a vehicle from.

It is a bad area for ice with the current running from Lee's Mills and the Basin. I recall a pickup bobbing closer to the channel about 8 years back- it sat for a long time until they could safely get it out.

The vehicle owner is a forum member...

Pineedles 02-16-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 257140)
Both people in the Suburban are OK. The SUV was still in the water last night. It is a difficult spot to recover a vehicle from.

It is a bad area for ice with the current running from Lee's Mills and the Basin. I recall a pickup bobbing closer to the channel about 8 years back- it sat for a long time until they could safely get it out.
The vehicle owner is a forum member...

The Suburban owner or pickup owner VitaBene?

VitaBene 02-16-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 257142)
The Suburban owner or pickup owner VitaBene?

Suburban, but he was not in the vehicle- brother and father were.

Yes it was quickly nicknamed the Suburbmarine and we are going to start a pool at Buckey's as to when it will be recovered:)

Pineedles 02-16-2016 09:45 AM

That's great that they got out OK, but with all our chatter about thin/no ice looks like the father and brother should become forum members too. :laugh:

BTW, sorry you are having such a poor snowmobile season.

VitaBene 02-16-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 257144)
That's great that they got out OK, but with all our chatter about thin/no ice looks like the father and brother should become forum members too. :laugh:

BTW, sorry you are having such a poor snowmobile season.

Thank you- I have pretty much written this season off! Time to start thinking about boats and motorcycles!

I hear you on the ice- they have lived here there entire lives and likely knew better but...

Winnisquamer 02-16-2016 11:25 AM

Whats a Suburban weight 6k empty? And I get nervous just walking out there.

dmjr 02-16-2016 01:19 PM

This incident involved my brother and father. I would appreciate no more comments about this matter.

thinkxingu 02-16-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjr (Post 257157)
This incident involved my brother and father. I would appreciate no more comments about this matter.

I understand not wanting to see criticism of family, but I'm not sure your request is reasonable on a public forum.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

GTO 02-16-2016 02:16 PM

No negativity,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjr (Post 257157)

Now I can see if it was your family involved in the guy in the kayak thread but I have not read any negativity regarding your family at all here, just discussion. You can't call the local news stations and local media to stop writing the news. We are just glad that they are safe!

ITD 02-16-2016 03:49 PM

We all do boneheaded things, just happy they are ok.

Pricestavern 02-16-2016 06:44 PM

It happens

Erasers on pencils.

dpg 02-17-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 257162)
We all do boneheaded things, just happy they are ok.

Maybe just slightly un-called for???

Mink Islander 02-17-2016 07:44 AM

Political Correctness

I seem to recall some years back a lot of humor tossed about when a guy drove his Ford Bronco (a white one, no less) out off of Glendale to see whether the ice was thick enough. It wasn't.

Two guys in a Suburban driving THIS WINTER through an area well known to be unsafe in the best of years and suffering the same experience is a indeed a pretty bonehead thing to do.

We're all glad no one was hurt. And there wouldn't be much to laugh about here if they had been injured or killed. But given that they are fine, it's pretty easy to see the humor in this -- especially given the vehicle involved.

So please, to suggest that we aren't allowed to poke a little fun at this because a member of this forum is related to the lakes region's latest winter aquanauts is beyond silly. Just my opinion.

ITD 02-17-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 257167)
Maybe just slightly un-called for???

I don't think so, but whatever.

I remember in my youthful days walking out onto ice I knew was only about 1.5 inches thick. I, along with several friends got about 15 feet from shore when I heard the first crack under me. I scrambled for shore but the ice gave out in about 4 feet of water. My other friends made it but I ended up wading out of chest deep water. It was about 15 degrees that day and we had a 2 mile walk out of the woods. Plus another 3 mile walk home. I made it out of the woods before I had to call mom for a pickup because my pants had frozen solid and I was getting too cold.

Bone head move, we've all made them.

rsmlp 02-17-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 257171)
I seem to recall some years back a lot of humor tossed about when a guy drove his Ford Bronco (a white one, no less) out off of Glendale to see whether the ice was thick enough. It wasn't.

Two guys in a Suburban driving THIS WINTER through an area well known to be unsafe in the best of years and suffering the same experience is a indeed a pretty bonehead thing to do.

We're all glad no one was hurt. And there wouldn't be much to laugh about here if they had been injured or killed. But given that they are fine, it's pretty easy to see the humor in this -- especially given the vehicle involved.

So please, to suggest that we aren't allowed to poke a little fun at this because a member of this forum is related to the lakes region's latest winter aquanauts is beyond silly. Just my opinion.

Agreed. Moreover, to ask that this important story not be discussed is naive to the extreme. EVEN if people were hurt-in fact more so if people were hurt. The forum has a responsibility to at the very least elucidate the facts such as they are so that in the future these witless ideas are hopefully mitigated.

ApS 02-17-2016 08:19 AM

Steep Curve...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 257172)
I don't think so, but whatever. I remember in my youthful days walking out onto ice I knew was only about 1.5 inches thick. I, along with several friends got about 15 feet from shore when I heard the first crack under me. I scrambled for shore but the ice gave out in about 4 feet of water. My other friends made it but I ended up wading out of chest deep water. It was about 15 degrees that day and we had a 2 mile walk out of the woods. Plus another 3 mile walk home. I made it out of the woods before I had to call mom for a pickup because my pants had frozen solid and I was getting too cold. Bone head move, we've all made them.

My respect for thin ice was developed while playing hockey as a teenager in Rhode Island. This ice was about 1" thick, and I'd "fallen through" a dozen times.

Fortunately, the ice covered a flat pasture, and the earth was only another inch below the playing surface. ;)

Later, on Lake Winnipesaukee, I discovered you can have icy water fill your shoes while still 150 feet from shore and ice-eaters!

:eek:

fatlazyless 02-17-2016 09:20 AM

So, supposedly because a Suburban is an suv with 4-wheel drive, the insurance company will cover the big expense of removing it from the lake, while a 2-wheel drive Suburban would not be covered. The thinking being that 4-wheel drive vehicles are designed for going off road.

That's what has been mentioned on this forum in the past, but it would be interesting to actually see how a specific claim like this one gets treated?

Something tells me the Progressive claims adjuster who reviews individual claims is a person different from Flo, the Progressive tv lady?

AC2717 02-17-2016 10:38 AM

Insurance does not exclude "oh crap moments," not saying this was the case here but we in the industry tend to say: Insurance does not exclude stupidity. Again not saying these people are stupid by any means.

As past discussion has shown and questions asked (and might not apply to this particular situation in this thread), there is where direct writers like the Progressive's and geico's try to cheapen the price of your policies by restricting coverage (where is wher they say they are saving you money. Whether it is a SUV 4x4 or sedan makes no difference, most regional carriers and carriers written through independent agents, this type of situation will not be excluded.

OhYah 02-18-2016 11:20 AM

Good luck trying to get this covered by insurance. Shame on the guys who decided to drive out there- smarten up next time.

AC2717 02-18-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhYah (Post 257215)
Good luck trying to get this covered by insurance. Shame on the guys who decided to drive out there- smarten up next time.

I am sorry, but being in the industry, this is a case by case basis, depending on your carrier.

side note: really nice first post

Winnisquamer 02-18-2016 12:36 PM

I would hope to god people would take the 2 minutes to make a phone call to their agent before driving any car onto the ice before you find out you're sol with a toast car. Then again who knows my brain works atleast 50% of the time :laugh:

TiltonBB 02-18-2016 01:26 PM

And even worse

This would really s*** if the insurance company said no and you had 4 more years of payments on it! :(

secondcurve 02-21-2016 02:00 PM

Retrieval

Was the truck retrieved this week?

VitaBene 02-21-2016 03:24 PM

Yes it is out! They probably have it running! Mechanical family.

secondcurve 02-21-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 257319)
Yes it is out! They probably have it running! Mechanical family.

Thanks. Good to hear. They are a nice family.

budman 02-22-2016 01:47 PM

Vehicle through the ice

I was out there fishing on Saturday and about 4:00 one of my flags went up. When I went to check it, I discovered that the hole was filled with black oil. I checked the other traps we were using most of them were covered with oil. I had to bring the traps home and clean them with dish detergent. I hope the oil is gone before next weekends fishing derby.

Winnisquamer 02-22-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budman (Post 257351)
I was out there fishing on Saturday and about 4:00 one of my flags went up. When I went to check it, I discovered that the hole was filled with black oil. I checked the other traps we were using most of them were covered with oil. I had to bring the traps home and clean them with dish detergent. I hope the oil is gone before next weekends fishing derby.

Who pays for the oil/gas clean up? I would be a little ticked off if that affected my water front property. Does insurance cover that type of thing assuming your insurance covers an incident like this or do they only cover the cost of the vehicle and the environmental damage is on the owner?

AC2717 02-22-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnisquamer (Post 257353)
Who pays for the oil/gas clean up? I would be a little ticked off if that affected my water front property. Does insurance cover that type of thing assuming your insurance covers an incident like this or do they only cover the cost of the vehicle and the environmental damage is on the owner?

yes, if it is a result of a covered type of loss, however your policy will have a specific limit for pollution $5k, $10K, $20k and the like.

if the fluids come out of the vehicle itself yes there is coverage, if you were transporting the fluids, i.e gas can, oil can or container, then there would not be coverage

Woodsy 02-22-2016 03:27 PM

take a breath...

Not that I want to see anything go into the lake, and I will probably get flamed for this..

But you guys are talking like a car is the same as the Mount or some sort of major spill!

A typical car or truck only holds 5-8 quarts of "heavy oil" and at most 30-40 gallons of gas assuming a full tank. Both which are pretty sealed up. So while some oil and or gas would leak out, it would be very minimal. Any gas will eventually evaporate and any oil would most likely be dissipated rapidly.

There is very little possibility of damage to the lake...

Woodsy

SAB1 02-22-2016 04:25 PM

Agree with Woodsy.

thinkxingu 02-22-2016 04:55 PM

I don't want ANY unnecessary oil or chemicals in the lake, especially as the result of a dumb decision.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

NoBozo 02-22-2016 06:46 PM

Woodsy is correct. Today's automotive systems are pretty tight. Next to nothing will escape the vehicle. :) NB

PS: Who is Budman..? 13 posts in 10 years.../ Just wondering. Methinks Budman has an agenda. He was never there. It never happened. He doesn't even fish.......NOPE :)

Mink Islander 02-22-2016 08:48 PM

No trolling Budman!

Not unless it's after ice out and you're trolling for salmon!

ITD 02-22-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 257360)
Not that I want to see anything go into the lake, and I will probably get flamed for this..

But you guys are talking like a car is the same as the Mount or some sort of major spill!

A typical car or truck only holds 5-8 quarts of "heavy oil" and at most 30-40 gallons of gas assuming a full tank. Both which are pretty sealed up. So while some oil and or gas would leak out, it would be very minimal. Any gas will eventually evaporate and any oil would most likely be dissipated rapidly.

There is very little possibility of damage to the lake...

Woodsy

Gasoline is highly volatile and evaporates quickly. Oil dissipates and breaks down plus there are microbes that eat it, I doubt it will be a long term issue.

Outdoorsman 02-22-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 257374)
Gasoline is highly volatile and evaporates quickly. Oil dissipates and breaks down plus there are microbes that eat it, I doubt it will be a long term issue.

You pretty much repeated exactly what "woodsy" said.....

ITD 02-22-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 257377)
You pretty much repeated exactly what "woodsy" said.....

Woodsy said microbes eat oil? Sorry Woodsy, I missed that.

Rusty 02-23-2016 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This image is in today's LDS:

budman 02-23-2016 08:59 AM

Vehicle through ice

I stand corrected. I should have said "what looked like oil". DES was there yesterday and said it was remnants of campfires but it sure looked like oil. In all the years I have fished I've never had my holes fill with anything black. I thought that because we were in the bay where the truck went in it was oil.
NoBozo you're wrong. Because I only have 13 post in 10 years it doesn't mean I have an agenda. I'm glad nobody was hurt. I was there, it did happen, and I do fish. I was just concerned that there might be oil in the lake.

NoBozo 02-23-2016 07:38 PM

Hey Budman

No worry's Budman. I accept your explanation. You need to post more often. :) NB