Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bad BBQ? Restraining Order? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24867)

Outdoorsman 08-11-2019 06:25 PM

Bad BBQ? Restraining Order?

Scott Buitta, who operates the Barbecue Shack and Smokehouse at 559 Route 104, is accusing Chris Bell who operates the Traveling TexasSmokeShop at 368 Route 104, with writing a negative review of his business and then having a hand in subsequent disparaging reviews on social media.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...cf6807500.html

ericnh 08-13-2019 08:20 PM

Judge denies restraining order

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...750a0936b.html

Garcia 08-13-2019 08:35 PM

Anyone have any reviews of either place? Which place is better - or are they both equally good?

ishoot308 08-13-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 317501)
Anyone have any reviews of either place? Which place is better - or are they both equally good?

Personally I prefer the Traveling Texas Smokehouse. Great food!!

joey2665 08-13-2019 08:43 PM

Ahhh!! Competition at its best. [emoji23]. Never had BBQ Shack but I do like Traveling Texas Smokehouse

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 08-13-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 317501)

I've not been to the Shak, but I wasn't impressed with Traveling Texas when I tried it last summer. I did mention at one point, on another thread, that it seemed weird the Shak would open up so close to, and before, Traveling Texas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 08-13-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317503)
Ahhh!! Competition at its best. [emoji23]. Never had BBQ Shack but I do like Traveling Texas Smokehouse

Lol, yeah I can see a new reality show coming out of this...”Smokehouse Wars”!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seaplane Pilot 08-14-2019 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 317505)
Lol, yeah I can see a new reality show coming out of this...”Smokehouse Wars”!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Like pigs wrestling in the mud! :argue::argue:

thinkxingu 08-14-2019 06:45 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I don't know why, but this story fascinates me. Here are some of the reviews--for each, the user only has two reviews, one 5-star positive for one place and one 1-star negative for the other. I don't know who started it (the last one, by the owner of Traveling Texas, appears to be the first), but clearly neither has taken the high road!Attachment 15198Attachment 15199Attachment 15200Attachment 15201Attachment 15202Attachment 15203

joey2665 08-14-2019 06:55 AM

I know why. The bickering back and forth is comical [emoji23].

Does anyone have an “honest review “ of the BBQ Shak?

thinkxingu 08-14-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317516)
I know why. The bickering back and forth is comical [emoji23].

Does anyone have an “honest review “ of the BBQ Shak?

I've never tried it--to be frank, it's because I thought it was bollocks setting up where he did--but most of his reviews seem honest.

AC2717 08-14-2019 07:38 AM

been to the Shack multiple times, food is good and Scott really is into his cooking and has a major passion for his food. Have never had a bad meal out of there

I am planing on hitting Texas Smokehouse this weekend.

Good BBQ should be a little pricey due to using quality meats and time put in, the Shack has never had unreasonable prices.

Hillcountry 08-14-2019 11:48 AM

I’ve been to both and both are good! TTS seemed he didn’t know where he wanted to set up there for a while. Then he set up this year before the BBQ SHAK But before that the BBQ SHAK had set up before the TTS on 104.
Now I guess they’re battling for business...both put out good BBQ.

joey2665 08-14-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 317535)
I’ve been to both and both are good! TTS seemed he didn’t know where he wanted to set up there for a while. Then he set up this year before the BBQ SHAK But before that the BBQ SHAK had set up before the TTS on 104.

Now I guess they’re battling for business...both put out good BBQ.

TTS was on 104 by the moccasin store 4 years ago then went to the weirs then on 3 by Meredith police station last year not back on 104. He also had a small storefront on Main Street and Messer street in Laconia 3 years ago

HellRaZoR004 08-14-2019 12:47 PM

The BBQ SHAK is amazing. Scott is very passionate and knows how to cook both Brisket and Pulled Pork. The corn bread is also very yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outdoorsman 08-14-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 317515)
I don't know why, but this story fascinates me. Here are some of the reviews--for each, the user only has two reviews, one 5-star positive for one place and one 1-star negative for the other. I don't know who started it (the last one, by the owner of Traveling Texas, appears to be the first), but clearly neither has taken the high road!

Some months ago (6+)? I had posted that online reviews (for restaurants at least) were ridiculous. I stated something about how family & friends or fellow employees would post positive reviews and the competition would post negative reviews. A number of people, including restaurant owners, dismissed it as BS. So here we are, some months later, and the courts are involved with such shenanigans :rolleye1:

I have not been to either establishment nor do I know anyone involved. I do know that as far as random "internet reviews" go, they get no consideration from me.

Oddly enough though, the reviews from forum members on this site get a great deal of consideration. Reputation, reputation, reputation.

baygo 08-14-2019 05:04 PM

Between the lines

The best thing that ever happened to McDonald’s was Burger King. Restaurant business is a bit different than all others. I think it’s really better for a restaurant owner to bite his/her tongue before trashing competition. An element many people may like about One restaurant is the same element others may not.

Personally I believe if a restaurant owner is trashing another restaurant it says more to me about that restaurant owner’s product then it does the competition’s.

jetskier 08-14-2019 07:45 PM

No one wins

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 317554)
The best thing that ever happened to McDonald’s was Burger King. Restaurant business is a bit different than all others. I think it’s really better for a restaurant owner to bite his/her tongue before trashing competition. An element many people may like about One restaurant is the same element others may not.

Personally I believe if a restaurant owner is trashing another restaurant it says more to me about that restaurant owner’s product then it does the competition’s.

When restaurant owners publicly denigrate one another, it just motivates me to patronize NEITHER. I don't see how there are winners in such a fight. When the day is done (as indicated by baygo), it should be about product, value and customer experience.

Just my 2 cents,
Jetskier :cool:

ITD 08-14-2019 09:11 PM

Lol, Really???

Biggd 08-15-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 317554)

Trashing other people and businesses online seems like the politically correct thing to do these days. Sad but true! :(

BroadHopper 08-15-2019 07:46 AM

Shack vs Smokehouse

Both are very good, but the beans set them apart LOL! Personally I like the Smokehouse beans!

It's all about the beans!

Time to try Rubbin' Butts!

AC2717 08-15-2019 08:35 AM

I like Rubbing Butts, but I found them to be inconsistent in their portions and flavors over the course of 4 visits. Still would eat there as it is good

ishoot308 08-15-2019 08:56 AM

Rubbin Butts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 317573)
Time to try Rubbin' Butts!

This past weekend we had O's / Rubbin Butts cater an island party we had. Food was fantastic and their help / servers could not of been nicer. It was also a pleasure to work with Scott Ouellette and crew. Very professional and very accommodating!!

Oh yeah...the beans were great also!!!

Dan

dpg 08-16-2019 06:15 AM

Yankee Smokehouse does have ok beans but they simply taste like any old canned baked bean from a supermarket that they try to kick up a notch. Nice pieces of meat (pork?) in it but the taste automatically reminds me of a can of B&B Baked Beans.

Irish mist 08-16-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 317616)
Yankee Smokehouse does have ok beans but they simply taste like any old canned baked bean from a supermarket that they try to kick up a notch. Nice pieces of meat (pork?) in it but the taste automatically reminds me of a can of B&B Baked Beans.

A lot of places take cans right from the supermarket & pawn them off as fresh. Seen a local seafood place (not to be named here) use Hannaford brand clam chowder in place of the real thing & up-sell for big $$$.

Mr. V 08-16-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish mist (Post 317650)
Seen a local seafood place (not to be named here) use Hannaford brand clam chowder in place of the real thing & up-sell for big $$$.

Oh, quit being a chowder tease and spill it.

Descant 08-18-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

A lot of places take cans right from the supermarket & pawn them off as fresh. Seen a local seafood place (not to be named here) use Hannaford brand clam chowder in place of the real thing & up-sell for big $$$.

That's what "Home style" cooking means: open the same can that Mom did. Just because it has a brand name doesn't mean it isn't the real thing. Most supermarkets don't sell anything in restaurant size/quantity so it is uneconomical to operate that way. And, whatever they use for a base, you never know how they have added to it. Or in the case of soup or chowder, carried it too long in the soup warmer so it steams off and becomes salty. So, you thin it down a little to lessen the salty and now the ratio of broth to contents is"watery". Maybe should have discarded it. Tough decisions. This is a tough business.

baygo 08-18-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

You are being fed a lot more canned food than you know. A can from the grocery store or a can from the chains Commissary or a can from Cisco’s is still a can. Many restaurants rely on conglomerates to prepackage food today. A telltale sign that the food wasn’t made on site from scratch is the pace that it comes out of the kitchen. There is a small restaurant chain/group with a location here in the lakes region that contracts Cisco to prep its food. The customers don’t know the difference.

brk-lnt 08-18-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 317794)
The customers don’t know the difference.

It is humorous how many people will go to places like Chili's and Applebees to get microwaved dinners and think of it as some kind of special outing.

fatlazyless 08-18-2019 05:56 PM

Ever eat at that Marie Callender's Restaurant and Bakery ..... www.mariecallendersmeals.com ......click on products ...... $2.50 at wallyworld and 6-9 minutes in the microwave ..... like, why go to any other restaurant?:D

For what you pay for one restaurant meal, you can eat for a week, or maybe a month, at Marie Callender's.

ishoot308 08-18-2019 06:11 PM

Yuck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 317801)
Ever eat at that Marie Callender's Restaurant and Bakery ..... www.mariecallendersmeals.com ......click on products ...... $2.50 at wallyworld and 6-9 minutes in the microwave ..... like, why go to any other restaurant?:D

For what you pay for one restaurant meal, you can eat for a week, or maybe a month, at Marie Callender's.

Yeah, Only 600 milligrams of sodium and 25 grams of fat in a one cup serving of their chicken pot pie!

I think I’m all set!

Dan

fatlazyless 08-18-2019 08:27 PM

Let's see if I can say something intelligent here.

For me, these ingredients probably don't make any difference and never having read the ingredients description, was unaware. I eat it mostly because it tastes good and is easy to microwave, plus drinking a lot of carbonated water or juice with it, helps too.

The chicken and turkey items along with the spaghetti seem to cook up the best in the microwave.

I have been living on this Marie Callender brand for about 10-months, am healthy as a horse, and just as smart! ..... :D

Wifi-1 08-18-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 317804)
Let's see if I can say something intelligent here....

Nice try :)

Bigstan 08-18-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

You are being fed a lot more canned food than you know. A can from the grocery store or a can from the chains Commissary or a can from Cisco’s is still a can. Many restaurants rely on conglomerates to prepackage food today. A telltale sign that the food wasn’t made on site from scratch is the pace that it comes out of the kitchen. There is a small restaurant chain/group with a location here in the lakes region that contracts Cisco to prep its food. The customers don’t know the difference.

I know of a certain Scallop Chowder I have only seen offered during the winter months at a place I cannot seem to recall right now that I can say with 99.99% certainty isn't from Cisco....

Descant 08-18-2019 10:44 PM

Ingredients + skill

Scratch may come in a 30 lb bag and "Our special gravy" may come in a 5 gallon drum. It's what you do after that that makes the difference. An unskilled bartender can screw up Scotch on the rocks. Those who don't drink Scotch won't know the difference.
Sometimes, you're just in the wrong place. I asked for Chivas on the rocks and the waitress came back a minute later and said we don't have that. OK. What Scotch do you have? I'll ask the bartender. Another minute. We have Jack Daniels and Smirnoff." "OK. Sam Adams will be fine." Obviously new staff, but helpful and cheerful, so it wasn't a big deal. A couple of months later, same place, charity banquet. Top shelf all the way.

BroadHopper 08-19-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

My first job in a kitchen was at Weirs HoJo in 1965. I was shocked that EVERYTHING came frozen and served. Well except for the bacon, eggs and salad greens. There weren't many cans, even the soup came frozen!

No wonder mom and dad rarely go out to eat!

upthesaukee 08-19-2019 06:48 AM

And the answer is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 317804)
Let's see if I can say something intelligent here.

For me, these ingredients probably don't make any difference and never having read the ingredients description, was unaware. I eat it mostly because it tastes good and is easy to microwave, plus drinking a lot of carbonated water or juice with it, helps too.

The chicken and turkey items along with the spaghetti seem to cook up the best in the microwave.

I have been living on this Marie Callender brand for about 10-months, am healthy as a horse, and just as smart! ..... :D

The answer to the first sentence is : No! (Sorry FLL, you left yourself wide open on this one!:D )

Dave