Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   possible new forum subject (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25866)

Mr. V 06-04-2020 11:03 AM

possible new forum subject

I note that the admin and others try to minimize "political" discussions derailing discussions, e.g. in the covid-19 sub-forum.

My question: why not have a sub-forum devoted solely to "politics?"

webmaster 06-05-2020 06:30 AM

After 25 years I will close this site rather than allow it to become a political battleground. The site was created to be completely dedicated to Lakes Region activities and topics. What's wrong with that?

thinkxingu 06-05-2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 336233)
After 25 years I will close this site rather than allow it to become a political battleground. The site was created to be completely dedicated to Lakes Region activities and topics. What's wrong with that?

Agreed. Absolutely no reason to have a political section on this site.

I appreciate your dedication to the mission.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Skip 06-05-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Copy that! :D

Paugus Bay Resident 06-05-2020 07:40 AM

There are more than enough other places to discuss politics if that's what one wishes.

jbolty 06-05-2020 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
…………… …………….

WinnisquamZ 06-05-2020 08:48 AM

possible new forum subject

Morning, can understand your position. But, hopefully you consider political discussions on local lakes region issues. This is a great tool for those that don’t have a Facebook or Twitter account. This tool reaches many people. Gives a voice to those that have no other way to reach others with the same concerns. Yes, many take it too far. But, to start filtering on ones own options is wrong. Life is not just about floating unicorns and pink flamingos. Hopefully you reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Bear Guy 06-05-2020 09:17 AM

When I joined this forum, I agreed to the site rules, which state, in part,
"...messages directly related to Lakes Region topics, issues or activities..."
I, for one, have and do appreciate the free resource for exchange of questions, answers, and information related to the Lake.

jbolty 06-05-2020 10:44 AM

There is certainly validity in topics related to local politics that may affect the lakes region and members and a separate area might be ok for that but we have gotten along so far without it. National issues are better left elsewhere, IMHO and hopefully even the covid forum can be buried someday soon

webmaster 06-05-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 336247)
There is certainly validity in topics related to local politics that may affect the lakes region and members and a separate area might be ok for that but we have gotten along so far without it. National issues are better left elsewhere, IMHO and hopefully even the covid forum can be buried someday soon

There have been many threads about local politics and issues over the years and that seems appropriate for this forum. This thread about the Laconia Mayor's race is an example. It's when national politics come up that this forum veers away from its intended purpose.

Loub52 06-05-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Even the Covid 19 forum has bled over into politics. Another vote for no politics on the forum

smith point boater 06-06-2020 08:07 AM

THE site

As always a big THANK YOU to the Webmaster for creating and hosting this site. His site his rules (and I for one appreciate them) and he is very generous with those that take them a little sideways

- PLEASE don't close the site

- PLEASE< PLEASE don't allow a political forum

upthesaukee 06-06-2020 08:31 AM

No need to open to vitriol

I joined this site way back when in order to to learn more about the lake and its surroundings. In my early years, I appreciated that a discussion could be had on perhaps a somewhat controversial topic, and while there may not be agreement between two (or more) involved in the discussion, in most cases the disagreement was respectful.

Unfortunately, that "agree to disagree" behavior has become far less frequent, with too much back and forth, usually in a not so respectful manner, becoming the norm rather than the exception. There are uncensored sites that allow, and perhaps encourage, that type of "lively" discussion.

My boat owner days may be over, but I love coming on this site to enjoy all the things that attracted me here in the first place.

Thank you Webmaster.

Dave

WJT2 06-06-2020 01:03 PM

Thank You Webmaster. Plenty of non-sense on Facebook for politics.

FlyingScot 06-06-2020 08:05 PM

One interesting thing about this thread--if you look at the Thanks to Don--is that even many of those who regularly post political thoughts (myself included), don't want to be reading/posting political thoughts.

Winilyme 06-06-2020 09:03 PM

It’s nonsensical actually. Though I just joined this forum eight months ago, I’ve been reading it for five years. Even in that short period of time, I’ve noticed the deep polarization of opinion take root here. Of course, this is most prevalent when discussing national issues. It’s an unfortunate sign of the times. So much anger and disrespect.

I applaud all efforts to keep non-lakes region politics off limits here. The forum should be a refuge from all that.