Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is there any Ice???? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18613)

Dhuberty24 01-02-2015 08:58 AM

Is there any Ice????

Anybody have any reports on ice. 19 mile bay? Alton?

Closetzguy 01-02-2015 09:11 AM

ice - not

Here is the webcam view of Melvin Village Marina looking South-South West
http://www.melvinvillagemarina.com/webcam.html

Just starting to skim over in spots…..but mostly open.

skprbob 01-02-2015 10:09 AM

19 mile bay

The bay is fully skimmed over out to Chase & Farm Islands, but it has been so for only a couple of days. I would not venture out on it yet!

CAVU 01-02-2015 11:45 AM

I would say in the Suissevale area another week or so. I took a few steps on it yesterday near shore in about knee deep water and it felt solid. Its clear ice, very smooth, good for ice skating. We've had ice here for the last few weeks maybe a little longer. The ice even survived the xmas thaw. Looking at the Mboro bay webcam with the snow this morning, it looks like midwinter but, don't let fool you. Still a lot of weak spots. Hope this helps.

Slickcraft 01-02-2015 12:52 PM

Alton Bay has a thin coating up most of the bay with some scattered open spots. Some spots of open along the shore including the bottom of the boat ramp.

The expected snow will add an insulating blanket and slow further ice formation.

upthesaukee 01-02-2015 02:14 PM

Just to add...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 238278)
Alton Bay has a thin coating up most of the bay with some scattered open spots. Some spots of open along the shore including the bottom of the boat ramp.

The expected snow will add an insulating blanket and slow further ice formation.

We came back from Laconia this morning and the ice in Alton bay is out near Echo Point, with some in the little coves outside Echo point.

Big point here would be that there is ice, but certainly not safe ice, and the snow and temps over the next few days will not help. Grrrrrrr. :(

Closetzguy 01-02-2015 02:57 PM

ice no more

the wind cleared out what was in Melvin Village marina this morning…..looks wide open again
http://www.melvinvillagemarina.com/webcam.html

jrc 01-02-2015 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went hiking today. The first is from Mt Major no ice on the Broads. The 2nd is from Straightback, you can see the ice in Alton Bay

Slickcraft 01-02-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 238285)
We came back from Laconia this morning and the ice in Alton bay is out near Echo Point, with some in the little coves outside Echo point.

Big point here would be that there is ice, but certainly not safe ice, and the snow and temps over the next few days will not help. Grrrrrrr. :(

Yes I should have emphasized the thin part. Safe only to view from a distance.

Merrymeeting 01-02-2015 04:02 PM

As I've mentioned before, Merrymeeting tracks Winnipesaukee fairly closely on Ice-Out, water temps, and ice formation.

Merrymeeting skimmed over in many places just after Christmas. But then the winds came up and opened everything up again. Since then we've had a recurring cycle of some ice formation during the calm nights, followed by breakup during the day as the winds drive the ice pieces east.

The eastern shore is frozen about 100' out due to the constant accumulation of ice from other parts of the lake. But it is a very rough, thin, jumbled cover, and really being hammered by winds and waves this afternoon.

Unfortunately, the snow forecast for all the lakes tomorrow will create a snow cover over all these thin areas, creating the illusion of safety that will tempt some. I expect we'll hear a few through-the-ice news reports next week.

upthesaukee 01-02-2015 04:21 PM

No problem....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 238291)
Yes I should have emphasized the thin part. Safe only to view from a distance.

I just wanted to back up your statement...

And there were people out on Halfmoon Lake in Alton / Barnstead yesterday, out in the middle:eek:.

Also saw some people on the ice on Winnisquam, on the far side of the lake behind the Hampshire house on Rte 3.

Can't believe the ice is safe in either location.

Dhuberty24 01-02-2015 04:27 PM

Thanks for the updates. Last year at this time I was ice fishing on 12"

upthesaukee 01-02-2015 05:02 PM

Last year, the ice runway at Alton Bay opened on Jan 12th.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Sal 01-02-2015 11:02 PM

The fat part of Moultonborough Bay

1 Attachment(s)
usually freezes weeks ahead of the main part of the lake. The photo shows it's still wide open.

Blue Thunder 01-03-2015 07:19 AM

The forecasted temps for next week look favorable for ice formation. Going to get very cold after Monday with nighttime lows near zero and possibly colder from Tuesday to Friday.

Duke's 01-03-2015 09:09 AM

People are fishing in the middle of Smith Cove this morning!

cowislander 01-03-2015 06:01 PM

some pictures from Friday 1/2

4 Attachment(s)
Center Harbor bay, Harilla Landing, the Weirs and Alton Bay.