Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Turkeys (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22838)

barefootbay 12-03-2017 01:39 PM

Turkeys

Where have all the turkeys gone? There were many in our neighborhood,and used to see them beside the roads as well. Haven’t seen a single turkey in a couple of months.

thinkxingu 12-03-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootbay (Post 288297)
Where have all the turkeys gone? There were many in our neighborhood,and used to see them beside the roads as well. Haven’t seen a single turkey in a couple of months.

Umm...Thanksgiving?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Lakeboater 12-03-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 288299)
Umm...Thanksgiving?

That's awesome! Thanks for the laugh

barefootbay 12-03-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 288299)
Umm...Thanksgiving?

Lmao ,How about a serious answer.

garysanfran 12-03-2017 07:28 PM

No turkeys?

Are you complaining? These are obnoxious birds along with the snow geese.

Hillcountry 12-04-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootbay (Post 288297)

NH’s wild turkeys are nomadic, to an extent. Their travels take them to where they find the best food source for the season. In Summer, lots of insects and berries keep them well fed...Fall and the seeds and nut crops are where they can be found (unless molested or driven out by predators including hunters) in winter the neighborhood bird feeders are where they can be frequently, seen as well as scratching through the snow or leaves for leftover nuts. In short they spend their days foraging and their evenings roosting in treetops, usually, deciduous, treetops devoid of leaves so they might see a predator approaching while on the roost. It always blows my mind when I see them roosting up high in a bare tree on a frigid winter night! Brrrrrrr!

TCC 12-04-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 288313)

I could be wrong but I think NH is a bit too far north for snow geese in the winter (and waaay too far south for them in the summer). Are they often seen here during the migration?

KPW 12-04-2017 07:49 PM

I see them all the time in Tuftonboro. I saw a group of about 10 the other day crossing 109. They looked quite healthy!!

Barney Bear 12-04-2017 07:58 PM

Honk, Honk

Perhaps the fowl ones are Canada geese. 🐻

ApS 12-05-2017 02:49 AM

How So?

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 288313)

Other than occasionally off NH's Sea Coast, Snow Geese are a rare sight in New Hampshire. (I've never seen one). :confused:

Wild Turkeys, Guinea Fowl, and "free-range" Chickens forage on any crawling insect, including the tiny—but menacing—Deer Tick.

upthesaukee 12-05-2017 08:17 AM

Along with turkeys, in most areas, there are few birds feedings at bird feeders. According to several articles I have read, this is due to an abundance of natural foods in their habitat. I can hear birds in the woods surrounding our house, but we only see a scant few chickadees and nuthatches at the feeders, and no turkeys in the woods.
As nature takes it course, and snow covers the ground and food sources, I would anticipate that the birds well return to the feeders, and the turkeys will be on the move.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 12-05-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 288350)
Other than occasionally off NH's Sea Coast, Snow Geese are a rare sight in New Hampshire. (I've never seen one). :confused:

Wild Turkeys, Guinea Fowl, and "free-range" Chickens forage on any crawling insect, including the tiny—but menacing—Deer Tick.

Actually APS there are lots of snow geese that come into NH during their migration and not just at the coast. There is an extensive "inland" hunting season on them that runs from very early October till just after Christmas. The coastal season runs from early October till Mid January.

During the inland season snow geese are often seen and hunted for in the many fields along the Connecticut river. The Merrimack river and its many corn fields in the Litchfield and Hudson area is also another place where snow geese are regularly hunted as well.

You can see them flying over Winnipesaukee in large formations but I have rarely seen any land in the lake but I'm sure they have...

Dan

garysanfran 12-05-2017 09:43 AM

If not snow geese...

What are the pesky geese, for example in Hesky Park, Meredith, that many towns at trying to get rid of? Canadian?

ishoot308 12-05-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 288365)
What are the pesky geese, for example in Hesky Park, Meredith, that many towns at trying to get rid of? Canadian?

Those are Canada Geese....

Dan