Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Non Disposable furniture (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27013)

MotorHead 05-16-2021 09:13 AM

Non Disposable furniture

We are in the market for a new bedroom set, Bob's, Jordans and Bernie are the big three, unfortunately most of their furniture is disposable.

Any stores around other then Ippolito's Furniture?

WinnisquamZ 05-16-2021 12:31 PM

Ippolitos went to Ashley Furniture. Find their offerings to be terrible. Last two purchases were from Harris in Laconia. Happy with both. There is American Cottage in Gilford, very high end terrific service. Home Comfort in Center Harbor is good. But, I must say I also go second hand for wood based furniture. Second hand stores or Craigslist. Both are terrific for deals. Pennies on the dollar

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 05-16-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 355392)
Ippolitos went to Ashley Furniture. Find their offerings to be terrible. Last two purchases were from Harris in Laconia. Happy with both. There is American Cottage in Gilford, very high end terrific service. Home Comfort in Center Harbor is good. But, I must say I also go second hand for wood based furniture. Second hand stores or Craigslist. Both are terrific for deals. Pennies on the dollar

I noticed the change the other day. I like green mountain furniture is Ossipee. A bit of a ride but great quality furniture with excellent service.

WinnisquamZ 05-16-2021 12:58 PM

Agree. Forgot about Green Mountain. It is a bit of a ride

MotorHead 05-16-2021 03:03 PM

I just went to the Harris Furniture Website, bedroom sets show

"Call for out best price".... Ha ha ha, I would rather sleep on the floor then get reamed.

I am sorry to hear about Ippolito's, they had decent furniture.

Thank you all.

stingray60 05-16-2021 03:58 PM

Could be worse.

IKEA .
Good news this is, when you move, rip it with a hammer and throw it out the window.
Even in North Carolina, former USA furniture manufacturing capital, much of the stuff is precut and shipped from China and "assembled in USA."

case66 05-16-2021 05:24 PM

American cottage in Gilford is a great spot. Dont let the exterior scare you off

Sent from my SM-G988U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

jenfa 05-16-2021 05:24 PM

LaChance Interiors

I bought a solid cherry shaker bedroom set from LaChance Furniture in Gardner MA. They use local furniture makers. Quality furniture...25 years old and it is in amazing shape.

TheTimeTraveler 05-16-2021 05:30 PM

Here's another vote for Green Mountain Furniture on Route 16 in Ossipee....

marinewife 05-16-2021 06:40 PM

Home Comfort in Center Harbor, behind the supermarket, has beautiful furniture as well- the pieces I bought were all manufactured in the USA.

GTO 05-16-2021 06:59 PM

Country Cottage Furniture

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355381)
We are in the market for a new bedroom set, Bob's, Jordans and Bernie are the big three, unfortunately most of their furniture is disposable.

Any stores around other then Ippolito's Furniture?

Country Cottage Furniture in Meredith on Rte 104. They have finished and unfinished. We bought a table with butterfly leaf and hutch there years ago. Top quality! We had shopped all those other stores you had mentioned in the Nashua area before stopping here. Well worth it. They do sell bed room furniture there as well

Sue Doe-Nym 05-16-2021 07:11 PM

Here’s another vote for Green Mountain in Ossipee. Stay away from Allen’s Wayside in Wolfeboro, formerly Parsons.

I.C.Isles 05-17-2021 08:25 AM

My take....

American Cottage great for decorating help and custom furniture, but pricey

Green Mountain best around for off the floor selection with quality stuff

Hubbingtons in barrington NH works with a lot of US based Amish companies and can get pretty good prices with large catalog selection

Everyone has long delivery times these days. So be patient.

camp guy 05-17-2021 08:36 AM

Furniture

Another vote for Green Mountain Furniture in Ossipee. Our house is full of furniture from Green Mountain and it is all still in fine condition.

MotorHead 05-17-2021 08:39 AM

WOW

None of them have online pricing.
I do not like that. What are they trying to hide.

TheTimeTraveler 05-17-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355462)
WOW

Some businesses in the Lakes Region are a bit behind the times, but my feelings are let them run their business however they see fit.

Maybe they don't have the IT capabilities for whatever reasons.

MotorHead 05-17-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 355466)
Some businesses in the Lakes Region are a bit behind the times, but my feelings are let them run their business however they see fit.

Maybe they don't have the IT capabilities for whatever reasons.

Of course, they can run their business however they see fit.
Nothing wrong with that.

It just makes me suspicious, looks like they are being sneaky.

WinnisquamZ 05-17-2021 09:28 AM

Availability is key. Doing a bit of remodeling this fall. Took a few minutes in Lowe’s to look at kitchen cabinets. 16 to 20 weeks on custom order cabinets

XCR-700 05-17-2021 10:59 AM

Anyone know if Hitchcock furniture is still in business? They always seemed to have quality products.

What about Copeland in VT, again looked pretty good to me.

Good Luck, finding quality wood furniture is getting tough,,,

8gv 05-17-2021 11:59 AM

I have bought from Harris several times.

It was always quality, on time and delivered with care.

Their pricing was reasonable for the quality we got.

We were similarly satisfied with Green Mountain.

When it comes to Ippolito's, last time I shopped there you could get lower priced "disposable" furniture or better stuff as well.

It really comes down to looking at the examples at each store and ordering what you want.

tis 05-17-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 355425)
Here’s another vote for Green Mountain in Ossipee. Stay away from Allen’s Wayside in Wolfeboro, formerly Parsons.

Sue, just curious what you don't like about Allen Wayside?

Sue Doe-Nym 05-17-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 355480)

Received poor service, no follow up, screwed up delivery of upholstered furniture, and it was raining....just painful to deal with. Furniture itself is fine once it arrives.

joey2665 05-17-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 355479)
I have bought from Harris several times.

It was always quality, on time and delivered with care.

Their pricing was reasonable for the quality we got.

We were similarly satisfied with Green Mountain.

When it comes to Ippolito's, last time I shopped there you could get lower priced "disposable" furniture or better stuff as well.

It really comes down to looking at the examples at each store and ordering what you want.

Ippolito’s is now Ashley’s so I’m sure it’s mostly if not all that disposable quality. Ugh

tis 05-17-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 355484)
Received poor service, no follow up, screwed up delivery of upholstered furniture, and it was raining....just painful to deal with. Furniture itself is fine once it arrives.

Interesting. My daughter got some from there and had the same issue.

Sue Doe-Nym 05-17-2021 05:36 PM

Final straw

Our final experience with them entailed their delivery man, who refused to bring the chairs inside. They were going to leave them on the driveway unless we ponied up $100. We refused because we had been assured that the price included delivery. The driver swore at us, screaming that “we don’t have to take this s###.” End of story. It’s true.

LoveLakeLife 05-17-2021 10:57 PM

What’s the definition of disposable furniture? What makes it disposable?

joey2665 05-18-2021 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 355520)

Lesser quality that doesn’t last long like from IKEA Bobs Ashley. Cheaply made no tongue and groove a lot of press board and glue

gillygirl 05-18-2021 07:43 AM

I wouldn’t consider all Jordan’s furniture to be disposable.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TheTimeTraveler 05-18-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 355520)

1). Not 100% solid wood

2), Lots of Fiberboard content

LoveLakeLife 05-18-2021 09:06 AM

Gotcha. Thanks Joey and Traveler.

ghfromaltonbay 05-18-2021 07:42 PM

New England Furniture

We have gotten some well made furniture at NE Furniture on Route 11 in Farmington. We have also had good luck there with mattress & box spring sets.

ApS 05-19-2021 05:11 AM

Veneer and Chipboard...

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 355523)
Lesser quality that doesn’t last long like from IKEA Bobs Ashley. Cheaply made no tongue and groove a lot of press board and glue

Not disagreeing, but a lot of beautiful furniture came out of Scandinavia made this way: Other terms include pressed-board, particleboard, chipboard, fiberboard. Highly resistant to termites, but don't let it get wet! :eek:

When a thin layer (a "veneer") of rare or expensive wood is applied (teak, cherry, Brazilian Rosewood), the costs are much reduced.

Veneers go back centuries: even valuable antiques have veneer applied to other solid-wood bases. https://theweekendcountrygirl-com.cd...ticle-board%2F

A lot of "fruitwood" kitchen cabinetry from the 1950s and 1960s was "upgraded" to chipboard. (Which didn't take long to show its weaknesses--but opened up an industry!) :eek2:

"Solid" wood furniture is commonly made from Red Oak wood. Much of our domestic (solid-wood) furniture originates from North Carolina.

tummyman 05-19-2021 06:01 AM

Another option is reupholstery We did this with a number of pieces that were solid frames. Worth the money....selected excellent fabrics, new foam, etc .etc. and the furniture was much better than what could be bought new. The older frames are significantly better than what is produced today. May be worth trying on one piece and se how you like it.

FlyingScot 05-19-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 355462)
WOW

Just visited American Cottage website--looks great. I don't know about "trying to hide", but I would say they are trying to avoid instant price comparisons with cheaper knockoffs.

A store like this cannot compete against disposables on price, but it can deliver beautiful furniture that will last forever.

WinnisquamZ 05-19-2021 10:33 AM

American Cottage is one of those places “if you have to ask you can’t afford it”. Saw a beautiful leather sofa there last summer. Price tag was 9k. But it’s French leather I was told. Sorry, my grandkids and dogs don’t know the difference between that and noggahide

Merrymeeting 05-19-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 355480)

Their obnoxious ads?

tummyman 05-19-2021 06:52 PM

One other option....we have done it once and almost did it a second time. We had our upholster actually order a wooden frame. They can get almost any style and even modify it if you need it, He then covered it in foam, etc. and new fabric. It is another way to get quality well built furniture that will last a long time !! TOP quality job !!! No cardboard or crap material.

TheTimeTraveler 05-19-2021 07:29 PM

Can someone recommend someone in the Lakes Region that can do a quality job reupholstering (spelling?) furniture to bring it back to life?

Anyone have idea of the costs to do this? How long might it take?

Thanks.

tummyman 05-19-2021 09:29 PM

We used John Londono at Town Upholstery in Moultonborough...next to Independent Marine. Phone 603-476-7105. Hard to give an estimate since it varies by piece and fabrics, etc. But he was very fair and did fabulous work. We eventually had 10 chairs/love seats, and sofa redone in 2019/2020. His work is top notch. Stop in for a chat.....he's a real nice guy. Google his website to see some of his work.

tis 05-20-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 355625)
Their obnoxious ads?

You like the one they had with their bikinis?