Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cold(est) Memorial Day Weekend? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27056)

Geneva Point 05-30-2021 04:49 PM

Cold(est) Memorial Day Weekend?

Just wondering if anyone can remember a Memorial Day weekend in Lakes Region colder than this one? I'm sure there's been some but it escapes me. Anyone?

gillygirl 05-30-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geneva Point (Post 356298)
Just wondering if anyone can remember a Memorial Day weekend in Lakes Region colder than this one? I'm sure there's been some but it escapes me. Anyone?

I remember some like this in the 70s, when I was there for all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

WinnisquamZ 05-30-2021 05:30 PM

On the positive, we will all have green lawns for Father’s Day

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 05-30-2021 07:10 PM

I can't remember which weekend in May it was last year, but one of our first Saturday mornings of the season was coated with snow.

Not sure about the coldest MD weekends, but it certainly was a far cry from what we were hoping for—let's hope this isn't a sign of the summer season!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Winilyme 05-30-2021 08:37 PM

Random Thoughts

Coldest Memorial Day I can remember no matter where I was during that holiday weekend. A train wreck for anyone here for the holiday.

This rain should put to bed any short term worries about a drought and earlier than normal low lake levels.

A positive spin is we got a lot of stuff done indoors that wouldn't have gotten done if it was sunny and in the 70s+. It's the stuff that if we don't get to it before Memorial Day, it tends to not get done until after Labor Day. Like vacuuming out the crawl space. Does anyone else vacuum out their crawl space? For some reason, my wife never volunteers for that activity.

I checked out the Mt. Washington weather...wondering if they might get some snow. Pretty much an all rain event. Temp there now is 38 degrees.

Here however, the forecast is looking up. About 10 degrees warmer tomorrow; then the temperature is on an incline for the rest of the week. By this time next week we could be flirting with 90.

steve-on-mark 05-31-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 356308)
I can't remember which weekend in May it was last year, but one of our first Saturday mornings of the season was coated with snow.

Not sure about the coldest MD weekends, but it certainly was a far cry from what we were hoping for—let's hope this isn't a sign of the summer season!

According to my photo archives it was on May 8th!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

MeredithMan 05-31-2021 09:15 AM

one in the 1970's....

not to be morbid, but several times this cold, dreary, Memorial Day weekend, my mind drifted back to a similarly cold, rainy Memorial Day weekend sometime in the 1970's...I think it might have been 1975-ish...I was 12 or 13. There was a terrible accident on the lake. Folks were in a speedboat at night...I think it was a big Cigarette boat, but I'm not sure...that was the generic term used anyway. It was a cold, rainy night on Memorial Day weekend and the boat came way too close to shore, going way too fast, and went airborne into a cottage.

That's about all I remember....maybe those of you that are a bit older than me that were adults at the time might remember more. I remember my parents and other adults being very shaken up at the time.

Newbiesaukee 05-31-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 356315)
According to my photo archives it was on May 8th!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I have photos of snow falling Saturday morning May 9 last year.

Sue Doe-Nym 05-31-2021 08:03 PM

Nutty relative

Ah youth........our grandson, 19, thought nothing of going out yesterday and the day before on one of the jet skis! Needless to say, both trips were fairly brief.....

SAMIAM 06-01-2021 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 356355)
Ah youth........our grandson, 19, thought nothing of going out yesterday and the day before on one of the jet skis! Needless to say, both trips were fairly brief.....

Haha......youth vs age Had a fire in my wood stove those days

tis 06-01-2021 04:52 AM

I think Channel 9 said one day set a record for the cold.

Kneedeep 06-01-2021 06:00 AM

Tough weekend weather wise for sure but had a beautiful sunset last night to top it off.

thinkxingu 06-01-2021 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kneedeep (Post 356368)
Tough weekend weather wise for sure but had a beautiful sunset last night to top it off.

Yup—just in time for us to head home for the weekend. Sad face.

Blue Thunder 06-01-2021 08:26 AM

The Boston media reported yesterday that this past weekend was the coldest last weekend in May since 1917....

BT

Merrymeeting 06-01-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 356366)
I think Channel 9 said one day set a record for the cold.

Yes, they had me chuckling a bit yesterday. The quote was, "We set the record for the lowest high temp for today."

tis 06-01-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 356381)
Yes, they had me chuckling a bit yesterday. The quote was, "We set the record for the lowest high temp for today."

Is that how they put it? I just barely caught it so I appreciate your telling me!

Flyfisha 06-01-2021 09:18 PM

Boating accident

I believe the accident you are referring to occurred on May 13,1975. Three occupants died.

ApS 06-02-2021 04:32 AM

The Wal-Mart Side...

Yes, Gilford. (Not the quiet side of The Big Lake).

The occupants died instantly. (You don't want to know). Meanwhile, things weren't going well for Don Aronow, either. :eek2:

Wolfeboro had a rare power-outage as well. Thank goodness the woodstove had already been cranking out the BTUs!

JEEPONLY 06-02-2021 07:36 AM

Off topic

Quote:

Reminds me of a terrorism news report of thirty years ago:
Female suicide bombers are rare, but increasingly less so!

MeredithMan 06-02-2021 07:38 AM

ApS and Fly--

Thanks for confirming/correcting my memory. I thought it had happened on Memorial Day weekend, but I guess that's what the fog of almost 50 years and the fact that I was just a kid at the time will do. I just remember that it was a horrific accident and my parents and other people in the area were really upset.

gillygirl 06-02-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Is that similar to putting your seat-back forward?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdPy5Ikn7dw

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

C-Bass 06-02-2021 08:15 AM

I remember memorial day 2013 as being one of the coldest, and we had a trace of snow in Moultonborough. I believe north of the notches made out quite well with snow.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weath...ekend/2363673/

https://www.wmur.com/article/memoria...-in-nh/5133050

Biggd 06-02-2021 10:12 AM

Now get ready for the heat wave.:D

phoenix 06-05-2021 04:58 PM

in wasn't quite as cold but in 2006 i had to go to my son's graduation at ND and it had rained so much when i came back end of May many of my dock sections had washed away. One I never found

ApS 06-09-2021 07:33 PM

Mt. Shaw...Even Looks Cold...!

1 Attachment(s)
Cold, but colorful weekend...