Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Plum Island (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26522)

Sue Doe-Nym 11-07-2020 07:12 PM

Plum Island

Some years ago, I read Nelson DeMille’s book, Plum Island, and I always wondered what it was like there, imagining quaint, picturesque cottages with picket fences, etc. We decided today that we had to get out of here or go nuts, so off we went to Plum Island. It was not at all what we expected...and we were disappointed....but it was only 2 hours and 6 tolls away....and it made us appreciate the lakes region even more than before. There’s no comparison.

thinkxingu 11-07-2020 07:36 PM

A lot has changed there—just as everywhere—since you read that book. Among the things that haven't changed, however, are the horseflies. They'll still carry away small dogs and children.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

camp guy 11-07-2020 07:39 PM

Plum Island

For those people who have "long roots in Plum Island", it is a "state of mind", rather than a physical location.

8gv 11-07-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 346167)
A lot has changed there—just as everywhere—since you read that book. Among the things that haven't changed, however, are the horseflies. They'll still carry away small dogs and children.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

My wife has dark curly hair and horseflies attack her without mercy.

They are some busy harassing her that they have zero interest in me.

I tell her she is my bug repellant.

"Bob Lobster" is a seafood shack on the road out to Plum Island.

I highly recommend it!

webmaster 11-08-2020 05:39 AM

Where on the lake is Plum Island located?

joey2665 11-08-2020 07:07 AM

Plum Island

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 346174)
Where on the lake is Plum Island located?

In Massachusetts near Newbury east of Haverhill. Not to be confused with the one one the Long Island Sound were the government had a testing facility [emoji33][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 11-08-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 346175)
In Massachusetts near Newbury east of Haverhill. Not to be confused with the one one the Long Island Sound were the government had a testing facility [emoji33][emoji23]

I think the webmaster was being sarcastic.

joey2665 11-08-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 346177)

Maybe, maybe not

JEEPONLY 11-08-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 346177)

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hillcountry 11-08-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 346166)
Some years ago, I read Nelson DeMille’s book, Plum Island, and I always wondered what it was like there, imagining quaint, picturesque cottages with picket fences, etc. We decided today that we had to get out of here or go nuts, so off we went to Plum Island. It was not at all what we expected...and we were disappointed....but it was only 2 hours and 6 tolls away....and it made us appreciate the lakes region even more than before. There’s no comparison.

You have to go to Nantucket for that kind of picturesque...;)

Sue Doe-Nym 11-08-2020 11:37 AM

I think I goofed!

Our daughter just informed me that DeMille’s Plum Island is located somewhere off Long Island, NY, not MA. Ah well....it was still disappointing.

joey2665 11-08-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 346189)
Our daughter just informed me that DeMille’s Plum Island is located somewhere off Long Island, NY, not MA. Ah well....it was still disappointing.

It’s located on the Long Island Sound between Long Island and Connecticut near Southold NY in eastern Long Island. A lot of history and a scientific government facility where many genetic experiments where performed.

gillygirl 11-08-2020 10:42 PM

Plum Island

I think Don’s point is how is Plum Island lake related. There have been many non-lake related posts recently. Maybe he pulled the trigger in a passive way to remind people this is a Lakes Region forum. Or should I start posting my central Florida mini-golf experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

upthesaukee 11-08-2020 10:44 PM

Hmmm

Hmmm, I was surprised why the OP would drive 2 hrs and pay tolls to get to Plum Island. Just take rte 28 between Alton and Wolfeboro to Robert's Cove Rd, down to the marina. Plum Island is right out in the Cove. Nice little island, home to a floating loon nest that plays host to a nesting pair every year.

Ok, there's the lake connection. :)

Dave