Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Free Franklin Stove (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19134)

rgilfert 05-10-2015 10:18 AM

Free Franklin Stove

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have interest in obtaining a free Franklin stove? We're located on Rattlesnake Island and are replacing our old Franklin stove with a new pellet stove this year. Before I toss the old stove out I want to check if anyone might like to have it. I'm not sure how old the stove is .... It came with the cottage when we bought it 4 years ago. We used the stove primarily in Oct before closing the cottage for the season and it has always kept us comfortable on chilly days/evenings. As you can see in the picture the front bi-fold doors don't close tightly .... I'm guessing that someone with tinkering skills could fix the issue. The stove is a combination of cast iron and sheet metal and therefore is not as heavy as a totally cast iron stove. I'm ball parking it at about 150 lbs (based on my son-in-law and I moving it out of the cottage yesterday. First person responding that they want it ..... Gets it....and by that I mean that they must come pick it up (delivery is not an option). PM me if you would like to come check it out or I'm happy to provide answers to any questions, etc.

rgilfert 05-12-2015 02:00 PM

Cricket sound, cricket sound .... cricket sound! OK ...... I 'll carry it off the island to the dump myself. Nice try though!

MGWillia 05-13-2015 08:44 AM

Not so sure about the Island thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgilfert (Post 244745)
Cricket sound, cricket sound .... cricket sound! OK ...... I 'll carry it off the island to the dump myself. Nice try though!

But I have had GREAT success getting rid of stuff (without straining my back) by posting it on Facebook. There are at least a half dozen yard sale/FREEcycle type pages for the area. Just a thought

secondcurve 05-14-2015 06:21 PM

Power Outage

The primary issue I have with pellet stoves is when the power goes out they go out. With the good old fashion wood stove this isn't a problem. Therefore, I stay with a wood stove, especially on an island.

rgilfert 05-15-2015 05:25 AM

Secondcurve, I have the same concern as well but in my estimation the benefits (moving 40 lb bags of pellets vs finding/lugging/storing firewood, ease of starting, speed of turning off, etc) outweigh the drawbacks. I'm thinking that if it's truly cold enough to be miserable if the power is out then we probably won't be on the island anyway. A battery backup is always an option plus at some point I would like to have small portable generator (Honda makes a quiet one) on the island.

pontoonbarge 05-15-2015 10:30 PM

Perfect!

As the new owner of the stove - many thanks - it's great!

Thanks to Mike at Winnipesaukee Island Services for the help in getting it down your stairs, and up mine!

Hooray for another season on the lake!

-pontoonbarge

rgilfert 05-18-2015 08:45 AM

You are welcome!

Pontoonbarge ..... I'm very glad that you are happy with it!!

rgilfert 05-23-2015 09:02 AM

Baby It's Cold Outside .....

.... Note to self for future reference, make sure the new stove is installed and working before getting rid of the old one!

secondcurve 05-23-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgilfert (Post 245303)
.... Note to self for future reference, make sure the new stove is installed and working before getting rid of the old one!

Ouch. The good news is the weather is about to turn and really heat up.