Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transmission work (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15803)

Belmont Resident 05-22-2013 05:51 AM

Transmission work

Has anyone used Ramsdell Transmissions for work?
I have a F-350 Diesel that is in need of some transmission work and I noticed they have an ad in the classifieds.

dippasan 05-22-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 204319)
Has anyone used Ramsdell Transmissions for work?
I have a F-350 Diesel that is in need of some transmission work and I noticed they have an ad in the classifieds.

I have not used Ramsdell but my neighbor and I have both used Dr. Steve's transmission in Manchester and we both liked dealing with them and would certainly use them again. 603-645-1033

Dave R 05-22-2013 03:36 PM

After a bad experience with a shop that simply swaps in rebuilt transmissions that they source elswhere, I would highly recommend working with a shop that actually rebuilds your transmission. I have no idea if Ramsdell does that or not, but you can ask.

Belmont Resident 05-22-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 204365)
After a bad experience with a shop that simply swaps in rebuilt transmissions that they source elswhere, I would highly recommend working with a shop that actually rebuilds your transmission. I have no idea if Ramsdell does that or not, but you can ask.

Thanks Dave, I'm dealing with an extended warranty company. And unless it can be proven that it us more cost effective to replace then rebuilding that is the way they will go.
As it is it is only overdrive that is slipping and that is only when it is being worked. I got through all winter plowing and found that if I leave it in tow and haul while I'm carrying my plow and about 500lbs of sand in the back I'm ok. If forget and have it in drive then it slips when it tries to downshift.

Dave R 05-22-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 204368)
Thanks Dave, I'm dealing with an extended warranty company. And unless it can be proven that it us more cost effective to replace then rebuilding that is the way they will go.
As it is it is only overdrive that is slipping and that is only when it is being worked. I got through all winter plowing and found that if I leave it in tow and haul while I'm carrying my plow and about 500lbs of sand in the back I'm ok. If forget and have it in drive then it slips when it tries to downshift.

Hopefully you have a bolt on OD unit.

A transmission shop owner told me a long time ago to leave OD off if driving less than 50 MPH; said it would make the OD last much longer. When I had to have my transmission rebuilt after 12 years (much of it towing my 7400 LB boat/trailer), the OD unit was still in great condition and it did not have to be repaired.

Belmont Resident 05-23-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 204372)
Hopefully you have a bolt on OD unit.

A transmission shop owner told me a long time ago to leave OD off if driving less than 50 MPH; said it would make the OD last much longer. When I had to have my transmission rebuilt after 12 years (much of it towing my 7400 LB boat/trailer), the OD unit was still in great condition and it did not have to be repaired.

From my understanding of how this transmission operates. When you push in the tow & haul button it drops the tranny down into lower gears but also keeps the torque converter from locking up. I only put it in tow & haul when towing my dump trailer and when plowing. Other then that I have always just left it in the normal drive mode.
2004 with over 130K on it, been plowing 11 or 12 years, towing boats and work trailers, I'd say it's been doing OK. Now if ford could make a truck that didn't rot out I'd be more inclined to buy a new one instead of keeping this and replacing my commuter vehicle.

songkrai 05-23-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 204377)
Now if ford could make a truck that didn't rot out I'd be more inclined to buy a new one instead of keeping this and replacing my commuter vehicle.

Kidders Automotive
Glen Road
West Lebanon, NH
603-298-8240

Make appointment early. As there can be a long wait.

Professional oil undercoating. I have done every year in September or October.

My truck is over 20 years old with zero rust.

VitaBene 05-23-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songkrai (Post 204381)
Kidders Automotive
Glen Road
West Lebanon, NH
603-298-8240

Make appointment early. As there can be a long wait.

Professional oil undercoating. I have done every year in September or October.

My truck is over 20 years old with zero rust.

How long will it leak oil after treatment?

Winnisquamguy 05-23-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 204365)
I have no idea if Ramsdell does that or not, but you can ask.

They rebuild it right at there shop. Been inside there shop a few times I saw trannys out and on benches plus he told me all work is done in house. I had one done on my plow truck and its been fine. Its not a road worthy truck but it does fine plowing all the driveways and roads I need to plow. He also does big trucks 8,10,15,and 18 speeds.

extremenewenglander 05-23-2013 08:05 AM

transmission

Do yourself a favor.........check out Portland Transmission also known as Russel Auto in Manchester. Absolutely the best there is and been there since 1957. They also work on the big stuff like PSNH trucks and fire trucks along with of course automobiles.

Dave R 05-23-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 204377)
From my understanding of how this transmission operates. When you push in the tow & haul button it drops the tranny down into lower gears but also keeps the torque converter from locking up. I only put it in tow & haul when towing my dump trailer and when plowing. Other then that I have always just left it in the normal drive mode.
2004 with over 130K on it, been plowing 11 or 12 years, towing boats and work trailers, I'd say it's been doing OK. Now if ford could make a truck that didn't rot out I'd be more inclined to buy a new one instead of keeping this and replacing my commuter vehicle.

My "truck" (99 Dodge Durango) does not have a tow haul mode, only "normal" or "OD off". It does not affect the TC lockup function.

I can understand your reluctance to use "tow haul" mode for normal driving if it keeps the TC from locking up. It probably increases the shift point RPM too.