Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Failure at the Glendale Launch Ramp (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23508)

TiltonBB 07-05-2018 04:59 AM

Failure at the Glendale Launch Ramp

A hint at where this was going might be the seven attempts to back the trailer in.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...3dc38e9c4.html

MikeF-NH 07-05-2018 06:24 AM

There are SO many ramp horror stories and they never seem to grow old BUT I do have to say that I launched yesterday (July 4th) fully expecting the usual group of yahoos at the ramps and on the water and was very pleasantly suprised at the efficiency and courtesy at the West Alton marina ramp but the 3-4 boaters in front of me. Great guys! I hope they all had the fantastic day we had on the water. Lots of boats out but no problems with how everyone was behaving. Lots of wake action but no wind made the lake pretty smooth for a Holiday day.

Agreed that "7 tries" was probably the sign that it was time to break out the camera.

joey2665 07-05-2018 06:30 AM

Why in the world would you leave the Jeep in neutral and not place it in park on an inclined ramp?? Most emergency brakes will not hold a car on a steep ramp and should always be used in conjunction with park.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

brk-lnt 07-05-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 297130)
Why in the world would you leave the Jeep in neutral and not place it in park on an inclined ramp??

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.
:D

TiltonBB 07-05-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 297130)
Why in the world would you leave the Jeep in neutral and not place it in park on an inclined ramp?? Most emergency brakes will not hold a car on a steep ramp and should always be used in conjunction with park.

Leaving it is neutral when exiting a vehicle with an automatic transmission would be a conscious decision, not a normal habit.

I could be wrong but: My guess is that it is a standard shift and she didn't want to shut it off so she could keep the air conditioning running. Jeeps have a higher than usual percentage of standard shift vehicles.

Doobs41378 07-05-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 297131)

Hahahahaha

Not to Worry 07-05-2018 06:52 AM

"Agreed that "7 tries" was probably the sign that it was time to break out the camera

Just a random thought. I launch a boat and haul it 1x per year. I must say I am horrible at it since the muscle memory is just not there so it might take me a few attempts. Maybe instead of someone taking a video they could offer some help or least not point and stare might go a long way to speeding up the process. Just saying.

joey2665 07-05-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 297131)

I’ve owned two Jeeps, one automatic and the other standard. This was just not a very bright move by the driver.

TiltonBB 07-05-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not to Worry (Post 297134)
Just a random thought. I launch a boat and haul it 1x per year. I must say I am horrible at it since the muscle memory is just not there so it might take me a few attempts. Maybe instead of someone taking a video they could offer some help or least not point and stare might go a long way to speeding up the process. Just saying.

Offering to help is a slippery slope that could go very wrong.

If it is some "macho man" with a girlfriend watching you may offend his manliness and he could get mad. He may feel his 5 attempts show he is persistent.

If it was a woman she could be offended that you even thought she needed help.

If you did help, and you were the one who left it in neutral, you could be responsible for the damage. If you back it in and the plug is not in the boat who is responsible? If you get in their car and later something is missing from their glove compartment who will they suspect?

Too much potential for an ugly ending!

Believe me, I used to try but it is not worth getting involved. However, I do try to conceal any reaction and I never point and stare! :)

Garcia 07-05-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 297159)
Offering to help is a slippery slope that could go very wrong.

If it is some "macho man" with a girlfriend watching you may offend his manliness and he could get mad. He may feel his 5 attempts show he is persistent.

If it was a woman she could be offended that you even thought she needed help.

If you did help, and you were the one who left it in neutral, you could be responsible for the damage. If you back it in and the plug is not in the boat who is responsible? If you get in their car and later something is missing from their glove compartment who will they suspect?

Too much potential for an ugly ending!

Believe me, I used to try but it is not worth getting involved. However, I do try to conceal any reaction and I never point and stare! :)

I err on the side of helping without passing judgement. I don’t recall anyone being offende and if they are, I’ll still reach out to the next person. I suppose it’s a reality for many, but it makes me sad when our first reaction is to think about the bad things that might happen rather than the good.

Of course, island days like today make everyone see how great life is!

Phantom 07-05-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 297161)
I err on the side of helping without passing judgement. I don’t recall anyone being offende and if they are, I’ll still reach out to the next person. I suppose it’s a reality for many, but it makes me sad when our first reaction is to think about the bad things that might happen rather than the good.

Garcia -- I happen to take your approach but with that said fully understand the opposite opinions as (unfortunately) the world around us here in the U.S. has become "sue" first and gather facts later ……… thus the rationale for people taking the position of not getting involved.

Sue Doe-Nym 07-05-2018 03:20 PM

Have not been able to open the link, must be interesting.

Cal Coon 07-05-2018 04:14 PM

I'm sure there are many tricks of the trade that people use to back up trailers. I would be interested in hearing some other methods, but a simple rule of thumb that I was taught many years ago, and still use to this day, is to think of the steering wheel as the "face of a clock", put your hand at the very bottom where the number 6 would be (6 o'clock) and move your hand left or right, and the trailer will go in the same direction. Move your hand left, trailer goes left, move it right, trailer goes right. You will never have to break your neck again trying to turn around, just use the mirrors. Hope this helps someone the way it helped me. Just make sure you start with the wheels straight!!

thinkxingu 07-05-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Coon (Post 297178)
I'm sure there are many tricks of the trade that people use to back up trailers. I would be interested in hearing some other methods, but a simple rule of thumb that I was taught many years ago, and still use to this day, is to think of the steering wheel as the "face of a clock", put your hand at the very bottom where the number 6 would be and move your hand left or right, and the trailer will go in the same direction. Move your hand left, trailer goes left, move it right, trailer goes right. You will never have to break your neck again trying to turn around, just use the mirrors. Hope this helps someone the way it helped me. Just make sure you start with the wheels straight!!

The easier one for me is "where the front of the car goes, the trailer goes."

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hillcountry 07-05-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 297179)
The easier one for me is "where the front of the car goes, the trailer goes."

Never heard of that one...boggles my mind just trying to think about it.
Trailer backing is easy for me as I did mowing/landscaping for years besides having many trailers over the years (boats, skidoos, motorcycles, landscaping, etc.)
Hand at “6 o’clock” and watch your mirrors...some people are intimidated by mirrors and can’t use them for some reason...thus 7 attempts.

kawishiwi 07-06-2018 01:20 PM

Well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 297182)
Never heard of that one...boggles my mind just trying to think about it.
Trailer backing is easy for me as I did mowing/landscaping for years besides having many trailers over the years (boats, skidoos, motorcycles, landscaping, etc.)
Hand at “6 o’clock” and watch your mirrors...some people are intimidated by mirrors and can’t use them for some reason...thus 7 attempts.

Way back in the day I could put a fully loaded 8 canoe trailer precisely where it needed to be, in my sleep, but putting my lil tin boat in Champlain last year was quite a bit less artful. One of 2 putins I've made in last 10 years. Anyone in their prime trailering years are obviously going to appear to not need help. All the others could probably use a hand. Ask once if they could use an assist & hang a bit to allow their pride to abate and they accept. I wouldnt drive the truck or their boat but I can be a good lookout.

upthesaukee 07-06-2018 02:17 PM

Longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up.

The lounger the trailer, the easier it is to back up (at least for me).

When I went from a 19 ft boat to a 25 ft er, I found the longer trailer far easier to maneuver than the shorter one. Far fewer jack knife moves. My wife has been surprised at how proficient I have got.

Now about that little 6 ft utility trailer 😨.

Dave

thinkxingu 07-06-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 297262)
The lounger the trailer, the easier it is to back up (at least for me).

When I went from a 19 ft boat to a 25 ft er, I found the longer trailer far easier to maneuver than the shorter one. Far fewer jack knife moves. My wife has been surprised at how proficient I have got.

Now about that little 6 ft utility trailer [emoji32].

Dave

I always thought it was more about the ratio between the towing vehicle and towed vehicle?

Poor Richard 07-06-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 297264)
I always thought it was more about the ratio between the towing vehicle and towed vehicle?

Nope. Short trailers have a short turn radius and are therefore much more interesting to back up with. Towing vehicle isn't so much a factor, if at all.

thinkxingu 07-06-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 297265)
Nope. Short trailers have a short turn radius and are therefore much more interesting to back up with. Towing vehicle isn't so much a factor, if at all.

Gotcha. Always seemed harder to back up with my F150 than it did with my Escape--same trailer.

Poor Richard 07-06-2018 05:50 PM

Can't say on the F150 vs Escape other than it might be the perception of looking over/ around the bed of the F150 vs the trailer being "right there" on the Escape.

I know my wood splitter is equally a PITA to back up with whether it's hooked to my Tundra, ATV, Kubota or riding mower.

I will say that I left out a small detail where the tow vehicle is a factor and that's "catching up" with the trailer in the event it's getting into jack knife territory. Steering lock and vehicle length will play a role in being able to correct for an over-angled trailer. My apologies for not including that detail or misleading anyone.

upthesaukee 07-07-2018 07:37 AM

same vehicle for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 297264)

In my case, all three trailers are / were hauled behind our 05 Trailblazer.

Maybe I just got better with age, but I doubt it. :)

Dave

SIKSUKR 07-11-2018 10:00 AM

I found that backing my short trailers was a lot easier by opening my back hatch to look right at the trailer.If your short narrow trailer is hard to see in the mirrors,by the time you it comes in view you have already turned it too far.Seeing it through the back made it much easier.fwiw

upthesaukee 07-11-2018 03:19 PM

Agreed

Agreed. However, old age makes it difficult to turn that far around.

What I did was install a vertical rod on each back corner of the trailer, with reflective tape around them. This enables me to look to the rear with the rearview mirror and see the start of any turn the trailer is making, and thus make corrections quickly.

I used two threaded rods, with flat washers on either side the hole I drilled, and used double nuts to lock the rods in place.

Dave

fatlazyless 07-11-2018 04:05 PM

....... just watch this!

Backing a trailer accurately is soooooo easy that even you, the person reading this, can do it!

Here's what you do ...... place either one or both hands at the very top of the steering wheel at the 12-o'clock position...... and the trailer will turn to the opposite direction from which the steering wheel is turned as you back up..... back down very slowly, and make a tiny, minute steering correction as you watch it go perfect in the outside rear mirrors ......... bingo ....... you are now capable to parallel park a 53' trailer into a 4-car length parking spot without touching the granite curb on a busy NH main street with other cars waiting and watching!

TiltonBB 07-11-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 297647)
Backing a trailer accurately is soooooo easy that even you, the person reading this, can do it!

Here's what you do ...... place either one or both hands at the very top of the steering wheel at the 12-o'clock position...... and the trailer will turn to the opposite direction from which the steering wheel is turned as you back up..... back down very slowly, and make a tiny, minute steering correction as you watch it go perfect in the outside rear mirrors ......... bingo ....... you are now capable to parallel park a 53' trailer into a 4-car length parking spot without touching the granite curb on a busy NH main street with other cars waiting and watching!

Even better: You can place your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel and the trailer will move in the direction you move your hands! Requires less thought!

ITD 07-12-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 297647)

Place your hand at the bottom of the wheel and the trailer will go in the direction you move your hand in reverse....

ITD 07-12-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 297655)
Even better: You can place your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel and the trailer will move in the direction you move your hands! Requires less thought!

You beat me, don't know why it didn't show up to me before I posted, but great minds think alike.