Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Groceries (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25427)

SailinAway 03-16-2020 05:59 PM

Groceries

(1) Best day and time to shop at Tilton Market Basket now? It was mobbed at 11:00 am today (Monday). I heard it was packed at 7:00 am on Saturday. What about 7:00 am midweek?

(2) Any idea how I can hire a shopper? Health problem makes me wary of going to the grocery store.

I drove up to the Plymouth Wal-Mart today as an alternative. Many grocery shelves were empty or almost empty. Maybe because they hadn't receive delivery after the weekend panic buying.

Descant 03-16-2020 10:39 PM

Shopping service

Try "Hannaford to Go"online shopping. I think Walmart has something similar. They pack it all up and you pick up. Some deliver. Without advertising a lot, I bet your local small town grocer will deliver if you ask. I think if you call 211 or your local town hall welfare office, they know somebody who will help. I'd bet your Pastor knows somebody who will help. Should have said that as the first option.

fatlazyless 03-17-2020 04:00 AM

...... the Walmart scanner super

Normally, the Plymouth Walmart is very quiet at 7:15-am on a weekday, and it is open from 6-am to midnight. But yesterday on Monday, March 16, all six of the self-service scanners were in use plus there also was a line of five customers waiting to use them. Normally, there's like zero or one person there at 7:15-am ....... so's how about that!

No big deal, all things considered, the store was very orderly but was a lot busier than usual, at that early hour. As soon as I drove into the parking lot it was obvious with a lot more cars than usual, too.

On a side note, the Walmart scanners are more user friendly and a better experience than the scanners in Hannaford, plus the six Walmart scanners always have a 'scanner person' at a separate 'puter screen station that makes it all run smoother.

Sometimes, customers at the Hannaford scanners can get really annoyed, and that does not seem to be an issue at Walmart probably because they have a 'scanner super' station.

codeman671 03-17-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailinAway (Post 327983)
(1) Best day and time to shop at Tilton Market Basket now? It was mobbed at 11:00 am today (Monday). I heard it was packed at 7:00 am on Saturday. What about 7:00 am midweek?

(2) Any idea how I can hire a shopper? Health problem makes me wary of going to the grocery store.

I drove up to the Plymouth Wal-Mart today as an alternative. Many grocery shelves were empty or almost empty. Maybe because they hadn't receive delivery after the weekend panic buying.

On the seacoast Walmart and Hannaford to Go work great.

WINNI BOB 03-17-2020 01:21 PM

Shopping

I stopped at the SHAWS in Gilford on Monday noon, and I was amazed. there were very few shoppers and the aisles were full of items. They are doing a great job handling the virus problem. When I got to the register to pay... I was 2nd in line No Problem !!!

Winni Bob

WinnisquamZ 03-17-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WINNI BOB (Post 328066)
I stopped at the SHAWS in Gilford on Monday noon, and I was amazed. there were very few shoppers and the aisles were full of items. They are doing a great job handling the virus problem.

Winni Bob

Agree, was there this morning. Meat was limited. Seafood plentiful. For some reason no one likes Devil Dogs! Remember to thank the workers for being there and doing a great job

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 03-17-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WINNI BOB (Post 328066)
I stopped at the SHAWS in Gilford on Monday noon, and I was amazed. there were very few shoppers and the aisles were full of items. They are doing a great job handling the virus problem. When I got to the register to pay... I was 2nd in line No Problem !!!

Winni Bob

If it's anything like the Shaw's in my town, it's because the prices are criminal. Two days ago, all they had was 6-packs of eggs...that were ripped apart dozens selling for dozen pricing ($1.39).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TiltonBB 03-17-2020 01:35 PM

I went into a Target store yesterday: No produce or bread left. Canned goods like soup were wiped out. Most of the cold and flu medicines were out too.

I guess if you really want something try first thing in the morning since many of the shelves are restocked overnight. Plus, you can avoid the crowds later on and the germs that they may carry.

gravy boat 03-17-2020 01:48 PM

Groceries

Wal-Mart Monday after 2 pm and not crowded. No TP, of course, limited paper towels, but we went for food. Snagged the last 2 onions, last butternut squash -- plenty of fresh stuff and that's what we went there for. Limited: pastas, pasta/tomato sauces, soups.

Shaws after 3 pm Monday: Not crowded. No TP, had some paper towels, plenty of food, fresh and other. (Wal-Mart doesn't have so went to Shaw's).

Hannaford Tuesday 815 am -- Not crowded. no TP, some paper towels and tissues. Plenty of veggies. Soups picked over but a few left, good amount of broth available.

All three had plenty of bottled water and fresh veggies. Had breads, dairy, etc., as well. Just low or out of what you'd expect -- paper products, pasta, sauces, soups, etc.

magicrobotmonkey 03-17-2020 04:32 PM

If you search for specific stores on goolgle, the results will often include a "live" graph of how busy the store currently is. Big brother can be useful sometimes!

rick35 03-17-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 328016)
Try "Hannaford to Go"online shopping. I think Walmart has something similar. They pack it all up and you pick up. Some deliver. Without advertising a lot, I bet your local small town grocer will deliver if you ask. I think if you call 211 or your local town hall welfare office, they know somebody who will help. I'd bet your Pastor knows somebody who will help. Should have said that as the first option.

Hannaford in Bedford and Nashua have no pickup times through Monday. I’m picking up an order tomorrow night and it could be the reason why I’m not seeing any times. Maybe they don’t want people to hog the system by booking multiple times. We’ll see after I pick up my order but I suspect its just because people have booked all the times.

DickR 03-17-2020 05:17 PM

Hannaford Meredith mid-afternoon today had some shoppers, but neither a lot nor very few. Yesterday a sign by the muffins said that for now you couldn't pick your own from the trays behind the glass doors. Both days the shelves for toilet paper, facial tissues, and paper towels were bare, with signs limiting amounts each customer could buy. I didn't need any of those three, but I couldn't resist looking to see if the shelves were indeed bare anyway.

I wonder if anyone has done calculations or studies on how long a run on toilet paper and paper towels can realistically last. Supplies come in daily (I was told by the manager). People use those items at some predictable and overall constant rate, and eventually, those who felt the need to panic buy will have amassed a big enough stash that they won't buy more, and the shelves will go back to normal stock levels.

Top-Water 03-17-2020 06:38 PM

(all of what you said)

I simply don't understand the run on toilet paper.

https://i.imgur.com/vVYFQYr.png

Mr. V 03-17-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

http://https://i.chzbgr.com/full/945...l-toilet-paper

swnoel 03-17-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 328106)
(all of what you said)

https://i.imgur.com/vVYFQYr.png

You may have put your life at risk! :laugh:

rick35 03-17-2020 08:08 PM

Wanna trade?

I’ll trade you a box of Cheezits and a package of double stuff Oreos for a couple of rolls of Charmin.

JEEPONLY 03-18-2020 02:27 AM

Irony?

Is it not odd that when discussing the availability of rolls of TP we use phrases like "There's been a run ...", or, "They've been wiped out"? :rolleye2:

fatlazyless 03-18-2020 03:44 AM

...... on the roll!

Saw one of those Cascades Transport-Quebec semi tractor trailers rolling south down Rt-93 yesterday with its' trade mark roll of toilet paper, truck trailer art motif, that looks like an unrolling roll of toilet paper running the outside length of the tractor and the 53' long trailer van.

Was that a 40-ton truck loaded with toilet paper enroute to Boston, NYC, or someplace?

dpg 03-18-2020 05:02 AM

But on a serious note do the major stores in the area have toilet paper stocked? Wal Mart, Dollar General (Moultonborough), Hannafords, do they have any on the shelves?

gravy boat 03-18-2020 05:58 AM

No TP, DPG

Not seen any TP on any shelf since I found some a week ago at Ocean State Job Lot. And we have enough for a few weeks at this point. As I shop for other items as needed (been to CVS, Hannaford, Shawn, WalMart) I do pick up a few rolls of paper towels or package of tissues when I see them (one, not all of them). I figure will serve as backup if needed.

upthesaukee 03-18-2020 06:01 AM

More important question

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 328127)
But on a serious note do the major stores in the area have toilet paper stocked? Wal Mart, Dollar General (Moultonborough), Hannafords, do they have any on the shelves?

Better question, are any of these retailers taking a responsible position of limiting purchases?

We were in an Ocean State Job Lots and they had four packs of toilet paper, limit 2 per customer. We picked up 2 packages (no, didn't take 4, 2 for her, 2 for me ;)).

We thanked the cashier for OSJL showing social responsibility for limiting. Too bad <insert virtually any other retailer > can't be this responsible. 🙄

Dave

Slickcraft 03-18-2020 06:57 AM

I just signed up at Hannaford so our next grocery run will be using Hannaford to Go. At over age 70 we have been limiting any trips out to essentials.

On that other subject: Maybe Sears catalogs will make a come back:D
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:.../metadc303557/

Top-Water 03-18-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 328130)
Better question, are any of these retailers taking a responsible position of limiting purchases?

That is the better question. Crazy that folks are purchasing things that they don't need.

When will folks reach that saturation point and realize they don't need more toilet paper.

Merrymeeting 03-18-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailinAway (Post 327983)

SailinAway, I hope some kindly neighbor or friend has offered to help you out. I would do so if I was in the area.

ishoot308 03-18-2020 07:13 AM

T.P. Humor

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure why people are going crazy over toilet paper...

joey2665 03-18-2020 07:15 AM

[emoji23][emoji23] Hilarious

Top-Water 03-18-2020 07:16 AM

@ ishoot308 ............... now that was funny. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

joey2665 03-18-2020 07:20 AM

Groceries

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 328131)
I just signed up at Hannaford so our next grocery run will be using Hannaford to Go. At over age 70 we have been limiting any trips out to essentials

Is there an App for Hannaford to go? Or do you have to sign up in the store. I didn’t see it in the regular Hannaford App

codeman671 03-18-2020 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 328134)
Not sure why people are going crazy over toilet paper...

It is nuts out there....

Knomad 03-18-2020 09:31 AM

Just got back from DeMoulas Market Basket in Rochester. No crowds at 7:15 AM - 8:00 AM. For the most part shelves were stocked with the following exceptions:
  • Bread
  • Canned Vegetables
  • Frozen Vegetables
  • Some meats like chicken
They were stocking shelves while we were there.

Slickcraft 03-18-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 328137)
Is there an App for Hannaford to go? Or do you have to sign up in the store. I didn’t see it in the regular Hannaford App

I used their web site:
https://www.hannaford.com/

Look bottom left for Hannaford to go. Also shown are links to apps which I have not tried.

FlyingScot 03-18-2020 11:23 AM

The stores in Mass are also coming back to normal. The hard part on the shopping front is over--at least for now. But there could be multiple waves (the Feds are now discussing up to 18 months of issues). If you have extra food at home, I would not draw it down to zero as you might in a typical week. Keep some inventory at home for the duration, then you will not need to panic buy during a subsequent disruption.

fatlazyless 03-18-2020 05:54 PM

So I was in Heath's in Center Harbor at about nine this morning, and Heath's had about 25-rolls of Scott toilet paper, the good stuff, for 1.29/roll.

Also, it looks like Heath's has doubled their quantity of pre-prepared muffins/english/bagels with cream cheese or with american cheese & egg, swiss cheese & egg, bacon-cheese & egg, ham-cheese & egg that sell for .99/1.99/2.49 which are displayed in the heated storage just beyond the salad bar.

And the totally freebie Vermont Coffee Roasters coffee in six flavors in a styrofoam cup is still happening. If you take a coffee in a paper cup, it costs 50-cent, while in a styrofoam cup, it is free ..... the small sign explaining this is no longer there, but that's that way it is, capiche! ...... a super-secret, insider, freebie deal!

Andromeda321 03-18-2020 06:38 PM

Interesting, we were at Heath's at 11:30-ish and all the TP was gone! Go early if you need it I guess.

map 03-18-2020 07:04 PM

No toilet paper in Meredith Hannafords and very little in Shaws. Just one brand and had to pay $8.99 for 9 rolls and it killed me. Also no bread in Shaws or hand sanitizer, etc. Hannafords had no flour or powdered milk or stable shelf milk.

Can't even get stuff on Amazon.

ApS 03-18-2020 07:16 PM

Burglars and Thieves...

Quote:

Originally Posted by map (Post 328240)
No toilet paper in Meredith Hannafords and very little in Shaws. Just one brand and had to pay $8.99 for 9 rolls and it killed me. Also no bread in Shaws or hand sanitizer, etc. Can't even get stuff on Amazon.

Some guy broke out the rear window of an SUV, stole thirty rolls of toilet paper, and got away Scot free.

:look:

map 03-18-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 328243)
Some guy broke out the rear window of an SUV, stole thirty rolls of toilet paper, and got away Scot free.

I read that people are now stealing toilet paper from rest stops. SMH....

Mr. V 03-18-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

The thief is on a roll.

Thanks for that charmin story.

rick35 03-18-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 328137)

You can sign up online. We picked up a to go order in Bedford tonight and much of what was in stock when I entered the order Sunday night was out of stock when they picked the order earlier today The attendant told us they took the scheduled pickup times offline for a few days to give them time to restock. We went in to the store to find other food and it was unsettling to see all the empty shelves.

ApS 03-19-2020 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 328243)

I hear in Germany they are preparing for the crisis by stocking up on sausage and cheese.

That’s the Wurst Käse scenario.