Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Randolph, NH, Big Truck Crash...Bikers killed. (2019) (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24587)

ApS 06-22-2019 09:26 AM

Randolph, NH, Big Truck Crash...Bikers killed. (2019)

For those of you out-of-state, there was a big crash not long after the Lakes Region's Bike Week ended.

In a double-yellow zone, it involved seven fatalities (maybe eight, including the truck driver). :eek:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/7-...cid=spartandhp

Practically in sight of the B&B they were staying in. :(

Hillcountry 06-22-2019 10:19 AM

Just saw this on a FB post...damned tragedy.

WinnisquamZ 06-22-2019 02:25 PM

Truck was towing a trailer which appears to have jackknifed into the bikes. The feds have been called in to recreate. Smart of Jackson and the state to let them handle it

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Red apple 06-22-2019 03:33 PM

An absolute shame. No words to describe this.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Outdoorsman 06-22-2019 03:49 PM

From another source: This group were Ex-Marines

On June 21st 2019 Jarheads MC was riding to a charity event at the local American Legion in Gorham, New Hampshire Post #82. Our pack was struck by an oncoming vehicle and we lost 5 patch holders and 2 supporters, and many others are injured

Tragic all the way around.

Jersey Bob 06-22-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 313845)
From another source: This group were Ex-Marines

On June 21st 2019 Jarheads MC was riding to a charity event at the local American Legion in Gorham, New Hampshire Post #82. Our pack was struck by an oncoming vehicle and we lost 5 patch holders and 2 supporters, and many others are injured

Tragic all the way around.

Sorry, but they were former Marines. Once a Marine always a Marine. Oorah!
And when they get to heaven, St Peter they will tell "Another Marine reporting, Sir. I've served my time in Hell!"

Music Man 06-23-2019 05:49 AM

WMUR is doing a good job of keeping up with the story.

What is known so far: accident involved ten bikers, heading eastbound, 500 feet from where they were staying. The bikers were part of the Marine Jarhead Motorcycle Club, having a reunion in Randolph. The truck was an auto mover from Massachusetts, heading westbound. Investigation is still underway, but it appears to be distracted driving on the truck's part, possibly speeding as well. It was along a stretch of straight road, so no turns were involved. Seven bikers dead. Two treated locally and released. One was med-evaced to Maine and is critical condition.

Outdoorsman 06-23-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Man (Post 313856)
WMUR is doing a good job of keeping up with the story.

What is known so far: accident involved ten bikers, heading eastbound, 500 feet from where they were staying. The bikers were part of the Marine Jarhead Motorcycle Club, having a reunion in Randolph. The truck was an auto mover from Massachusetts, heading westbound. Investigation is still underway, but it appears to be distracted driving on the truck's part, possibly speeding as well. It was along a stretch of straight road, so no turns were involved. Seven bikers dead. Two treated locally and released. One was med-evaced to Maine and is critical condition.

I road this route with a group yesterday. There were many groups of bikers, antique cars and even a convoy of tractors bobtailing. Local law enforcement did an outstanding job halting traffic traveling East on Rte. 2 so the groups of riders could merge onto Rte. 2 and stay together.

As music man stated, this is still under investigation.... but, I can assure you that this did not happen on a stretch of straight road. The bikes traveling East had just crested the top of a hill, the truck had just rounded a bend in the road on an uphill climb. There was not even a 100 yard view of the road in either direction. You could clearly see where this accident happened by the burned grass on the side of the road and the fluid remains on the pavement in the travel lanes.

Hillcountry 06-25-2019 07:11 AM

Saw on this morning’s news that the truck driver is being charged with 7 counts of negligent homicide. He also has a DUI record with the latest infraction a month ago. I hope he spends many years thinking about the pain he has caused.

WinnisquamZ 06-25-2019 08:48 AM

This site won’t be for everyone, but his information is spot on

https://turtleboysports.com/westfiel...tting-corners/

joey2665 06-25-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 313964)
This site won’t be for everyone, but his information is spot on

https://turtleboysports.com/westfiel...tting-corners/

Absolutely agree he should have NEVER been hired with his driving record. I had 50 drivers on the road who were heavily screened for drug use and safety with random drug testing and I had them all on a DMV service that immediately notified me of any DMV violations.

Safety first and this tragedy would have NEVER happened. Thoughts and prayers to the families of those involved.

FlyingScot 06-25-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 313948)
Saw on this morning’s news that the truck driver is being charged with 7 counts of negligent homicide. He also has a DUI record with the latest infraction a month ago. I hope he spends many years thinking about the pain he has caused.

I hope he's doing his thinking from jail.

I hope the politicians who make the rules on drivers' licenses spend many years think about this, but just a few weeks deciding to do something about letting guys like this behind the wheel at all. How many DUIs does it take to lose your license?

jbolty 06-25-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 313971)
I hope he's doing his thinking from jail.

I hope the politicians who make the rules on drivers' licenses spend many years think about this, but just a few weeks deciding to do something about letting guys like this behind the wheel at all. How many DUIs does it take to lose your license?

Seriously, how many times do you hear about a crash like this all over the country only to find out the driver has multiple previous suspensions or convictions.

iw8surf 06-25-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 313965)
Absolutely agree he should have NEVER been hired with his driving record. I had 50 drivers on the road who were heavily screened for drug use and safety with random drug testing and I had them all on a DMV service that immediately notified me of any DMV violations.

Safety first and this tragedy would have NEVER happened. Thoughts and prayers to the families of those involved.

The issue with the drug testing too is the DOT is a 5 panel drug test... Even today most companies do I believe a 10 panel for pre employment, so they could be high as a kite as long as it isn't those top 5 drugs. I always thought that was dumb.

joey2665 06-25-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iw8surf (Post 313992)
The issue with the drug testing too is the DOT is a 5 panel drug test... Even today most companies do I believe a 10 panel for pre employment, so they could be high as a kite as long as it isn't those top 5 drugs. I always thought that was dumb.

We did the 12 panel random test. But more importantly to me was the constant dmv monitoring on all dmv renewals, suspensions, infractions etc and this system was updated within 24 hours.

WinnisquamZ 06-25-2019 06:38 PM

And it begins

Head of Mass RMV Erin Deveney resigns over tragic NH fatal crash case
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/06...al-crash-case/
(Via Boston Headline News)

Top-Water 06-26-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 314017)
And it begins

(Via Boston Headline News)

First, my heartfelt sympathies to all the families that lost loved ones, without question a genuine tragedy.

Second, and the jest of my thoughts. But I can't help wondering why she resigned. Are we going to find out more in the next few weeks something else? Granted innocent until proven guilty, but is there more to this story about how this person was still driving after what has been reported on the news. Is this going to be one of those stories like the Ma. state police overtime scandal that seems like a lot of folks tuned a blind eye to. Or lead in drinking water in Detroit among other things that seem to happen in large state agencies. Or is it the way things go these days if you are connected. Something seems a little off here but can't seem to find just the right words to describe it.

FlyingScot 06-26-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 314101)
First, my heartfelt sympathies to all the families that lost loved ones, without question a genuine tragedy.

Second, and the jest of my thoughts. But I can't help wondering why she resigned. Are we going to find out more in the next few weeks something else? Granted innocent until proven guilty, but is there more to this story about how this person was still driving after what has been reported on the news. Is this going to be one of those stories like the Ma. state police overtime scandal that seems like a lot of folks tuned a blind eye to. Or lead in drinking water in Detroit among other things that seem to happen in large state agencies. Or is it the way things go these days if you are connected. Something seems a little off here but can't seem to find just the right words to describe it.

My hope is that she was forced to resign as a matter of accountability. She allowed a grievous error to occur, she's paying the price as the top proximate official. Good. Now the new boss will implement systems to make sure the mistake is not repeated.

Top-Water 06-26-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 314102)
My hope is that she was forced to resign as a matter of accountability. She allowed a grievous error to occur, she's paying the price as the top proximate official. Good. Now the new boss will implement systems to make sure the mistake is not repeated.

I agree & hope you are correct, and that is all that this is. But, I thought that all these systems were already in place, for lack of a better term, how did they get short-circuited on what appears to be maybe more than one occasion.

As WinnisquamZ wrote "And it begins" ........ Just wondering out loud, what is the end on this story.

Hillcountry 06-26-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 314111)
I agree & hope you are correct, and that is all that this is. But, I thought that all these systems were already in place, for lack of a better term, how did they get short-circuited on what appears to be maybe more than one occasion.

As WinnisquamZ wrote "And it begins" ........ Just wondering out loud, what is the end on this story.

Just another smaller, version of “the swamp” that will always be present as long as politicians work for themselves and not the electorate. Very difficult to “drain”

ApS 06-26-2019 09:18 PM

One-Man Crime Wave...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 314017)
And it begins

Driving drunk—underage: Nothing happens.

In possession of a crack pipe: Nothing happens.

2013 Larceny of Home Depot Warehouse: Nothing happens.

Wallet left at gas station, contained heroin and cocaine packets: Nothing happens.

Flipped 18-wheeler in Texas, another crack pipe: Nothing happens.

Arrested in Texas one month ago, gave fake name: Nothing happens.

May 11, crashed into brush, fails sobriety test in parking lot, arrested:

Connecticut RMV notifies Massachusetts RMVReceives acknowledgment...Nothing happens.

June 13th, Lane infraction: Nothing happens.

➼ Something Happens! :eek:

60 hours after NH wreck: Nothing happens.

Arrested in Massachusetts, heroin and cocaine found in home... :rolleye1:

dickiej 06-26-2019 09:32 PM

We will never take impared driving seriously in this country. In Europe, you get significant jail time and long term license revocation after your second offense. No plea bargaining and no special deals. The reason why we won't take it seriously: most of our legislators are lawyers and many of them are drunks.

thebix 06-26-2019 10:15 PM

Many suspensions and suspended jail time, hardly nothing happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 314117)

Wallet left at gas station, contained heroin and cocaine packets: Nothing happens.

From story on NECN
https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...N-5obO4EZ-iu34

'In all, Zhukovskyy served at least six license suspensions in Massachusetts after obtaining his license in April 2013, though some of the sanctions overlapped, according to records provided by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. He also completed two safe driving education courses through the National Safety Council.'

SAMIAM 06-27-2019 04:32 AM

Ever notice that when a public official reigns in disgrace they simply retire early with 10K monthly retirement payout plus benefits such as the deputy sheriff in Broward county that stood by as children were shot.
Even Blagojevich...the Chicago mayor in prison for corruption is getting his big payday each month.
In the real workplace if you screw up....you're fired.No bennies from the taxpayers.
Sorry to hijack this serious discussion.......heartfelt sympathy to the families and victims

joey2665 06-27-2019 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 314121)
Ever notice that when a public official reigns in disgrace they simply retire early with 10K monthly retirement payout plus benefits such as the deputy sheriff in Broward county that stood by as children were shot.

Even Blagojevich...the Chicago mayor in prison for corruption is getting his big payday each month.

In the real workplace if you screw up....you're fired.No bennies from the taxpayers.

Sorry to hijack this serious discussion.......heartfelt sympathy to the families and victims

You summed up exactly why these people want to take office. The benefits, not to assist the public.

fatlazyless 06-27-2019 05:27 AM

For towing a big, long, heavy, old(?), goose neck trailer like that, the tow vehicle should be a dually with four wheels in the back, and it probably was a dually for a transport company hauling cars with cdl drivers ...... but we don't know this for sure .....maybe it was a Dodge Ram 2500 pickup with four wheels as opposed to six wheels?

Having six wheels is more solid with better control ..... less swing and sway especially when the goose neck trailer is empty.

A loosie-goosie trailer driven by a loosie-goosie driver can be a double-bad loosie-goosie combination?

Top-Water 06-27-2019 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 314124)
For towing a big, long, heavy, old(?), goose neck trailer like that, the tow vehicle should be a dually with four wheels in the back, and it probably was a dually for a transport company hauling cars with cdl drivers ...... but we don't know this for sure .....maybe it was a Dodge Ram 2500 pickup with four wheels as opposed to six wheels?

Having six wheels is more solid with better control ..... less swing and sway especially when the goose neck trailer is empty.

A loosie-goosie trailer driven by a loosie-goosie driver can be a double-bad loosie-goosie combination?

It always seems to amaze me how you love to inject your twisted sense of humor at every opportunity when ever there is a an event causing great suffering.

swnoel 06-27-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Connecticut RMV notifies Massachusetts RMVReceives acknowledgment...Nothing happens.

Unfortunately , I believe there is more to this story. Hopefully it won't be covered up...

Top-Water 06-27-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 314128)
Unfortunately , I believe there is more to this story. Hopefully it won't be covered up...

Exactly! what I was thinking.

fatlazyless 06-27-2019 06:12 AM

.... there's no humor in that comment .... do not deserve your wrath .... it's could well be a loosie-goosie truck, goose neck trailer combination, driven by a loosie-goosie driver which makes it a double-bad loosie-goosie situation ..... where's the humor here? ..... ain't noth'n funny about it ...... all driving should be taken very seriously ..... and especially for truckers!

thinkxingu 06-27-2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 314130)
.... there's no humor in that comment .... do not deserve your wrath .... it's could well be a loosie-goosie truck, goose neck trailer combination, driven by a loosie-goosie driver which makes it a double-bad loosie-goosie situation ..... where's the humor here? ..... ain't noth'n funny about it ...... all driving should be taken very seriously ..... and especially for truckers!

Words matter. Using "loosie-goosie" and blaming the machine on a thread about a criminal driver killing a bunch of motorcyclists is abhorrent.

I hope this guy, and anyone negligently involved, gets slammed. I also hope the companies, and the people who knowingly employed him, are destroyed.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

joey2665 06-27-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Not letting RMV off the hook at all but the employer has a tremendous amount of culpability. If they used a license monitoring service or even ran his RMV record on a pre employment check they would have never hired him.

ishoot308 06-27-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 314132)
Not letting RMV off the hook at all but the employer has a tremendous amount of culpability. If they used a license monitoring service or even ran his RMV record on a pre employment check they would have never hired him.

I agree! Also the trailer that truck was towing was way too big and heavy for that truck, most likely not legal whatsoever! DOT will be involved and this is going to come back and bite that company in the a** as it should!

Both he and his irresponsible company should be put out of commission for good!!

Dan

ishoot308 06-27-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

APS;

Your summary of events really put this unfortunate event into perspective and how irresponsible many parties were to even let this punk drive.

Thanks for taking the time to put this post together as you did!

Dan

fatlazyless 06-27-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308
..... the trailer that truck was towing was way too big and heavy for that truck, most likely not legal whatsoever! .....

.... could be a Ram 2500 dually w/ 6-wheels or a Ram 2500 w/4-wheels ..... do not know?

.... truck management knows who is the good driver and what is the less good truck/trailer and maybe gives to the less good driver the lower quality rig .... isn't that the way it usually goes .... could be it was a 4-wheel pickup towing the goose neck trailer ..... is still unknown?

Dodge Ram makes a 3500 pickup which can be a dually, so's maybe this 2500 was a 4-wheeler and too small for this goose neck tow ..... is an unanswered question.

SAB1 06-27-2019 07:36 AM

Spot on dan. That trailer looked way to big for me on that truck. All kinds of issues surround this case including ICE now being involved. Kid never should have been driving. The woman at the registry surely got canned but aside from that I hold the owner of the company accountable for hiring him. But aside from that there hasn’t been a day gone by when I haven’t thought of those that died and the families they left behind.

ishoot308 06-27-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 314143)
But aside from that there hasn’t been a day gone by when I haven’t thought of those that died and the families they left behind.

Yes, these were good people, veterans, family members, who were out enjoying life. One useless punk in a matter of seconds takes their life away.

As a prior Marine I can tell you this tragedy has really upset me...

Dan

fatlazyless 06-27-2019 08:04 AM

It takes about two seconds to figure out that driving a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car. Just one fast look at the two, car and motorcycle, and you realize this safety issue.

Driving in New Hampshire will never be a perfect, totally safe experience ..... bad stuff can happen?

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety ..... In 2016 the risk of death was 28 times higher driving a motorcycle than a car.

If you think about this ..... 28-times is a very big difference .... a huge difference.

Motorcycles look very dynamic and are very fun to ride but are way more deadly ..... 28-times .... than driving a car.

ishoot308 06-27-2019 10:21 AM

Noodle Brain

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 314149)
It takes about two seconds to figure out that driving a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car. Just one fast look at the two, car and motorcycle, and you realize this safety issue.

Driving in New Hampshire will never be a perfect, totally safe experience ..... bad stuff can happen?

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety ..... In 2016 the risk of death was 28 times higher driving a motorcycle than a car.

If you think about this ..... 28-times is a very big difference .... a huge difference.

Motorcycles look very dynamic and are very fun to ride but are way more deadly ..... 28-times .... than driving a car.

This accident had NOTHING to do with the motorcycles FLL!! The "homicide" of seven innocent people was totally the cause of one drug addicted drunk p.o.s. who should have never been behind the wheel to begin with. There is no other way to look at it!!

Dan

MAXUM 06-27-2019 11:42 AM

It's also likely that if a car were in the same position of those bikes at the time, the occupants would have suffered a similar fate.