Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Speed Limits (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Performance Boats- Alive and Well!!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7763)

Rose 06-03-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 96288)
I wish I had room. I literally am full up with a boat full of guys... Just need a rainbow flag and people would get a hell of a laugh.. :eek::D:laugh:

Hey, it's LGBT Pride month...go for the flag.

OCDACTIVE 06-03-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose (Post 96338)
Hey, it's LGBT Pride month...go for the flag.

UMMM NEGATIVE!!! .. Don't think my wife would like that.. nor I.. Going on the record here... Just making a joke...... :D (any Sienfeld fans here) "Not that there is anything wrong with that":laugh:

ApS 06-04-2009 06:36 AM

Parsing: To break down into component parts of speech...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 96197)
"...Is there a particular reason you like to piecemail many different posts then bring them together to make points..."

1) I'm not sure what you mean, but some of us use "parsing" to keep unrelated, excessive, verbiage out.

2) If you meant controversy, it's what brings viewers (and advertisers) to forums in the first place. The word "controversy" even appeared in Tuesday's fishing-poles discussion!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...11&postcount=6

3) Don has put together a very sophisticated site for us: If this site doesn't load, it's only then that I check on one other (an even more sophisticated site) to check on blips within the Internet or server operability.

4) One example of this sophistication is a small box at the lower right corner of our posts here. You can click on several posts for your response, then click "quote" to answer all at once in a single post. (Just as I have done with today's response).

Most forums don't have this capability (including this country's largest forum), which has the advantage of keeping posters from "serial posts". (Answering one person in a single post, then another in the following post, then a third in the following post—and so on).

(You might know those posters by a much-less-than-complimentary term that can't be mentioned at family-friendly sites). :eek:

Although you have been extended a honeymoon-moratorium on a recent restriction—a maximum of five-posts-per-day here—"parsing" allows more information using fewer posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 96197)
"...Oftentimes I get so lost in the logic I get a brain cramp..."

...and...
Quote:

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 96210)
"...I'll bet you have absolutely no idea how many acres per second your boat occupies on the lake at any given rate of speed do ya...?"

Hopefully, OCD can work out the Logic and does know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 96179)
"...Not only would the ticketee need to be in court but also the ticketor..."

Isn't this a bit premature? NOBODY (that we know of) has shown us a 2009 citation yet and we don't know what is written on it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 96179)
"...That will mean either alot of dismissed cases or the MP will be off the lake fairly often..."

Officers' appearances are scheduled to combine different court appearances by the officer during the same workday. Depending on the officer's activities, that day could include an array of a citations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 96175)
If that is the case Woodsy, it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the case INTO court! A month, 6 months, a year???

I think you're thinking of your civil court experiences where delays are the general rule. You might consider a "hardship" delay for traffic court—especially if from out of state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 96214)
"...OCD, didn't you know that APS was a member of the Warren Commission...?"

You have no idea just how close you were with that.

Shoot a PM to member Skip.

hilltopper 06-04-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 96281)
Remember when they had the hydroplane boat races over at the Moore dam in Littleton?? That was a while ago and not sure why they stopped as quite the crowd would show up. It was great fun to watch!

Dan

I remember sitting on the rocks and wathching those. Good times.....

Woodsy 06-04-2009 07:10 AM

APS...

As usual your a more than little short on the facts.... We dont need to see a 2009 Citation to know exactly how the law works.

The way the HB-847 is written, there is NO set fine. If the person is found guilty, the fine is to be set by the presiding judge. This INSURES that both the MP Officer that wrote the ticket, and the person who recieved the ticket will have to appear in front of a Judge! The prosecutor may plea the case down to a small fine or driving class with no driving record infraction, etc as they see fit on a case by case basis to save the court time and money. They do this all the time with automotive speeding tickets.

I am also not confusing criminal court with civil court. A friend of mine got an automotive speeding ticket and his court date was set for approximately 3 months after the date of the alleged violation. (I say alleged because he hasnt gone to court yet) Speeding tickets are a VERY LOW priority as far as the courts are concerned..... especially given the current budget crunch the courts are facing.

Woodsy

OCDACTIVE 06-04-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 96357)
APS...

As usual your a more than little short on the facts.... We dont need to see a 2009 Citation to know exactly how the law works.

The way the HB-847 is written, there is NO set fine. If the person is found guilty, the fine is to be set by the presiding judge. This INSURES that both the MP Officer that wrote the ticket, and the person who recieved the ticket will have to appear in front of a Judge! The prosecutor may plea the case down to a small fine or driving class with no driving record infraction, etc as they see fit on a case by case basis to save the court time and money. They do this all the time with automotive speeding tickets.

I am also not confusing criminal court with civil court. A friend of mine got a speeding ticket and his court date was set for approximately 3 months after the date of the alleged violation. (I say alleged because he hasnt gone to court yet) Speeding tickets are a VERY LOW priority as far as the courts are concerned..... especially given the current budget crunch the courts are facing.

Woodsy

Hey Woodsy,

Do you know or are you able to post the details of the alleged speeding? location? what the officer said? etc etc?

Woodsy 06-04-2009 07:34 AM

OCD...

\I was referring to an automotive violation. Not a lake violation. Sorry about that! I will edit my post!

Woodsy

DoTheMath 06-04-2009 08:44 AM

I love this site! :D

hazelnut 06-04-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

APS...

I am also not confusing criminal court with civil court. A friend of mine got an automotive speeding ticket and his court date was set for approximately 3 months after the date of the alleged violation. (I say alleged because he hasnt gone to court yet) Speeding tickets are a VERY LOW priority as far as the courts are concerned..... especially given the current budget crunch the courts are facing.

Woodsy

Thanks for the qualification Woodsy. I had no idea that there were no set fines. Why would they write it that way?????? Especially if they didn't want it to cost the state any money???? Pretty stupid in my opinion.

VtSteve 06-04-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 96125)
:confused:

So you wrote on the 27th—but on the previous day, you state this:
:rolleye2: :confused: :rolleye1: :confused:

Was there a memo involved here? :confused:

Write non sequiturs much? :rolleye2:

Real estate references are everywhere on these pages: Lake Winnipesaukee's edges have evolved into a decidedly residential, even suburban, environment.

The days of open exhaust are gone: Every season, discussions of boat damage to lakefront properties are raised.

Lake Norman, mentioned here this week, once had a boat run out of the lake to hit a truck on the Interstate!

We have a member here who not only knows Donzi/Donzi-supporters on this lake, he has ample "street creds". Thank you, but I'll await a comprehensive report from Woodsy on this.

1) After all, I very well could have witnessed "history in the making".

2) "Flank" means all-out: "Velocity" and "rapidity" are word-substitutes for s***d—which, I think you'll agree—is to be avoided in these times.

3) Maybe you haven't observed "The NHMP Inboards of Antiquity". The one described had its engines screaming: even then, I doubt it broke 35. :blush: :p:o :blush: :rolleye2:

I was trying to think back, Waaaaay back to the old days, when the MP had Century Ravens, the old wood ones. I beieve they got some updates when they bought some Century fiberglass boats. I'm sure they could do at least 40's in those beasts, but they didn't look comfortable at all.

The entire viewing of this "chase" (such as it was, for the MPs) took place within 1½ miles of my stationary position. :rolleye1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 96350)
1) I'm not sure what you mean, but some of us use "parsing" to keep unrelated, excessive, verbiage out.

2) If you meant controversy, it's what brings viewers (and advertisers) to forums in the first place. The word "controversy" even appeared in Tuesday's fishing-poles discussion!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...11&postcount=6

3) Don has put together a very sophisticated site for us: If this site doesn't load, it's only then that I check on one other (an even more sophisticated site) to check on blips within the Internet or server operability.

4) One example of this sophistication is a small box at the lower right corner of our posts here. You can click on several posts for your response, then click "quote" to answer all at once in a single post. (Just as I have done with today's response).

Most forums don't have this capability (including this country's largest forum), which has the advantage of keeping posters from "serial posts". (Answering one person in a single post, then another in the following post, then a third in the following post—and so on).

(You might know those posters by a much-less-than-complimentary term that can't be mentioned at family-friendly sites). :eek:

Although you have been extended a honeymoon-moratorium on a recent restriction—a maximum of five-posts-per-day here—"parsing" allows more information using fewer posts.

...and...

Hopefully, OCD can work out the Logic and does know.

Isn't this a bit premature? NOBODY (that we know of) has shown us a 2009 citation yet and we don't know what is written on it yet.

Officers' appearances are scheduled to combine different court appearances by the officer during the same workday. Depending on the officer's activities, that day could include an array of a citations.

I think you're thinking of your civil court experiences where delays are the general rule. You might consider a "hardship" delay for traffic court—especially if from out of state.

You have no idea just how close you were with that.

Shoot a PM to member Skip.

I tried this multi quote thing out. I obviously need much more practice, but every time, it says my post is too short. Frankly, I got lost while doing it and forgot what the heck I was looking at.

I know two things as a past lakefront guy that worried me.

1) Cruiser wakes
2) boats plowing at lower than plane speed.

I never worried about angry waves at high velocity. Most of the time fast boats went by their waves were barely high enough to call them bumps.

OCDACTIVE 06-04-2009 03:15 PM

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

So.......................... what performance boat enthusiast is around this weekend.. Thinking Naswa 11:30 on Sat?? 80 degrees.. If I have room I will grab you but as of now I am full up...

ApS 06-05-2009 04:35 AM

The "New Hampshire Way"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 96362)
Hey Woodsy,
Do you know or are you able to post the details of the alleged speeding? location? what the officer said? etc etc?

What OCD said... :rolleye1:

Quote:

"...The way the HB-847 is written, there is NO set fine..."

Then what, exactly, appears on "your friend's" citation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 96436)
"...I obviously need much more practice, but every time, it says my post is too short. Frankly, I got lost while doing it and forgot what the heck I was looking at..."

Well, you do need to write something! (But congratulations on this first successful attempt). ;)

If you see one of these (note the lower case) [/QUOTE] then it's a stray. Go back and delete the unnecessary [/QUOTE] .

You picked a difficult thread to practice on, due to the oversized photos—of the already oversized boats. :rolleye2:

Quote:

"...We dont need to see a 2009 Citation to know exactly how the law works..."

But have you seen a 2009 citation? :confused:

(You left out the word steenkin', btw). :rolleye2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 96394)
"...Why would they write it that way?????? Especially if they didn't want it to cost the state any money???? Pretty stupid in my opinion.

I'd agree.

BTW: I'm reading that boaters and residents are being discouraged :confused: from calling-in offenders!

And that this new rule was to be "self-enforcing".

>>>>>>>>>...sigh...<<<<<<<<<

Folks, "It's The New Hampshire Way".

brk-lnt 06-05-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 96443)
So.......................... what performance boat enthusiast is around this weekend.. Thinking Naswa 11:30 on Sat?? 80 degrees.. If I have room I will grab you but as of now I am full up...

We'll be up, not sure when/if we'll be on the water, but I'm right down the bay at South Down Shores...

OCDACTIVE 06-05-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 96497)
We'll be up, not sure when/if we'll be on the water, but I'm right down the bay at South Down Shores...

Well if you are around, stop by and please introduce yourself. I will have a white active thunder hat on and probably one of my offshore racing t-shirts.

We plan on getting there around 1130am to make sure we can get a spot.

fatlazyless 06-13-2009 11:44 AM

....hey holycowabunga!

Golly gee willikers....using my eye and my thumb as a speed guage, I just clocked a big green, blue and white go-fast, green & blue vinyl graphics on a white hull, maybe 32'er w/ some good loud exhausts, speed thru the Buoy 3 narrows at 56.4-mph. Excuse me while I go jump into my kayak and go make a citizen's arrest here.

Anyone seen the new speed limit, rules sign which has been placed at local boat launches like the Meredith town docks? :) NIce job to someone in Concord who crafted the sign at the DOT sign shop.:) It is short on words, and long on easy-to-understand pictures, which does a good job to quickly explain this new law to boaters.:D

Nadia 06-13-2009 11:32 PM

Too Funny...

I'm not sure about anyone else, but APS & FLL crack me up. You two are hysterical. I too have attempted the art of "parsing" and failed miserably. APS's use of different sized fonts, different colors, excerpts and quotes paint a very clear picture of what he is saying. Call me sick in the head, but I find it hilarious. Even when it's something I don't agree with I have to laugh. And I am laughing not AT you APS. Please don't take offense. Now the thought of FLL running out his door, diving into the water, struggling into his kayak and chasing a boat full of tourists screaming "citizens arrest" has me laughing out loud, very loud (LOLVL). My husband has asked me "what's so funny" five or six times now. Thank you for the free entertainment.

OCD...would you happen to know how big of a foot print your boat makes on the lake, in comparison to a sea kayak? :D

On a more serious note...we have a police officer in the "family-in-law". He has confirmed that Police Officers are paid time and a half for their appearance in Court. Not sure if it's the same for MP Officers. SKIP TO THE FRONT DESK PLEASE! :laugh:

OCDACTIVE 06-17-2009 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 97173)
Golly gee willikers....using my eye and my thumb as a speed guage, I just clocked a big green, blue and white go-fast, green & blue vinyl graphics on a white hull, maybe 32'er w/ some good loud exhausts, speed thru the Buoy 3 narrows at 56.4-mph. Excuse me while I go jump into my kayak and go make a citizen's arrest here.

Anyone seen the new speed limit, rules sign which has been placed at local boat launches like the Meredith town docks? :) NIce job to someone in Concord who crafted the sign at the DOT sign shop.:) It is short on words, and long on easy-to-understand pictures, which does a good job to quickly explain this new law to boaters.:D

I think it looked differently from this angle :D

I did see a kayaker paddling as if their arms were going to fall off.. Was that you? :laugh:

partsman 06-17-2009 11:40 PM

I can tell by the wake that you are doing 44.2 mph in this picture:D

ApS 06-18-2009 05:32 AM

Yup...

And not facing forward...:rolleye1:

OCDACTIVE 06-18-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partsman (Post 97583)
I can tell by the wake that you are doing 44.2 mph in this picture:D

Great work.. I believe it was exactly 44.2 give or take 25 mph.. :D

OCDACTIVE 06-18-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 97585)
And not facing forward...:rolleye1:

Look closely at the picture.. It wasn't taken from the captains chair. :rolleye2:

VtSteve 06-18-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 97597)
Look closely at the picture.. It wasn't taken from the captains chair. :rolleye2:

Hey, even though his quick knock was inaccurate, as usual, at least he didn't add another barb towards GPS :laugh:

OCDACTIVE 06-18-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 97609)
Hey, even though his quick knock was inaccurate, as usual, at least he didn't add another barb towards GPS :laugh:

Haven't installed or purchased a GPS yet.... Due to those postings I am afraid of heading to Alton and end up on Point Sabago and get ridiculed. :eek::D:laugh:

colt17 06-18-2009 10:21 AM

tickets

is there a place to find out how many speeding tickets have been given todate?

Seaplane Pilot 06-18-2009 10:46 AM

Look in here

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by colt17 (Post 97618)

Sorry - couldn't resist :laugh:

OCDACTIVE 06-18-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Not that I know of... That would mean that actual data is available. Something that proponents have tried to keep out of public knowledge.

By the way the toilet picture made me LMAO!!!!!!!:laugh:

VtSteve 06-18-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Given the issue, I would think that every local and state news organization would be keeping their ears and eyes peeled for just such an instance. The Marine Patrol isn't expecting to issue many tickets, and I think they'll be issued as needed when other actions come into play. ie: perhaps reckless, too close, whatever. They don't seem particularly concerned or bothered by boats that may be doing 60 or so. Most don't do it for long.

Merrill Fay stated last year that people had already slowed down, and he noted an increase in activity with more people on the lake. He also said it quieted the lake down, and apparently the law was working and all was well. BTW, the law went into effect January 1st this year, after everything was ok.

My guess is the MP would want the first few tickets issued to Gross offenders that were also doing something else wrong that everybody disagreed with. I'm quite positive they'll have a couple of those to issue if history is any guide.

hazelnut 06-18-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 97597)

But OCD those are facts :rolleye2: Don't clog it up with facts.... It plays much better if APS can say you were driving and taking the picture at the same time. Oh wait I just smelled the picture.... yup... I smell beer. You reckless crazy man! :laugh::laugh::laugh: And I can tell from the picture that you have a toddler on the bow of the boat.... Not that I can see it I just..."sense" it. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OCDACTIVE 06-18-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 97626)
But OCD those are facts :rolleye2: Don't clog it up with facts.... It plays much better if APS can say you were driving and taking the picture at the same time. Oh wait I just smelled the picture.... yup... I smell beer. You reckless crazy man! :laugh::laugh::laugh: And I can tell from the picture that you have a toddler on the bow of the boat.... Not that I can see it I just..."sense" it. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Damn.. You must have been the kayaker who saw me and tried to make a citizens arrest:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

I was trying to take apart multiple posts you have made in the past years to prove a point but I couldn't figure out how to do it.:D

Anyway, leaving shortly for the lake. I was going to put the boat in today but may wait until tomorrow or maybe not at all... Weather is not looking good.

trfour 06-30-2009 09:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 95845)
WOW Gorgeous boat!!!! Would love to see a pic of the engines!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I had a hard drive crash, did some traveling and had to buy a new computer.

I lent the only picture I had to a buddy to dress up his office when he moved from the shop into sales when we worked together at Grappone Ford heavy Truck, down in Concord. It ended up missing.

I do have a picture of two 750 HP engines that look very simaler, excepting the 900 HP had two 1350 cfm doual feed hollies on a high rise
tunnle Ram intake manifold.
750's http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?photo=461

Distant Thunder Getting Wet.

Short Throttle's Up, while heading for open water.

OCDACTIVE 07-01-2009 07:13 AM

Wow.. Great looking boat!!... I wished mine looked like that when heading to open water. :D

trfour 07-03-2009 12:52 AM

Hey, you bring a great boat to Lake Winnipesaukee as well....

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 98782)
Wow.. Great looking boat!!... I wished mine looked like that when heading to open water. :D

Getting to open water is a rush, although "Distant Thunder" was built to roam the oceans! I enjoyed the offshore boat races here on Lake Winnipesaukee while I lived here, and they lasted. I can't help but feel the rush that you feel by being able to enjoy your beautiful boat here as well.

I think that the new speed limit is very limiting, however the verdict will
be limiting as well.

Now to get back to where we left shore.

On only two engines, mind you and everyone. "Because of the deep V hull, the third outdrive was mounted lower on the transom, and when under full power the rooster tail was 75' tall behind this boat." Trust me.

"Boats Or What", ya got to love Em':)

HUH 07-04-2009 11:20 AM

Speed

Personaly I think speed is relative.. My boat did not come with a speedometer but id guess it goes 70 something.. We were out the other day heading across the broads.. Typical situation where the 4 big cruisers all headed across my bow from the west all failed to stand down.. upon looking to my stern I realized another 35+ footer was full bore up my stern.. IMHO I had no choice but to avoid this typical situation with liberal use of the throttle.. It all worked out well and I remembered to give them all the universal signal.. :D

Airwaves 07-04-2009 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by colt17
Quote:

Originally posted by VTSteve
Quote:

Given the issue, I would think that every local and state news organization would be keeping their ears and eyes peeled for just such an instance.
Not to contradict, but as I pointed out during the debate that must not be mentioned, Lake Winnipesaukee is just a blip on the overall news screen outside of the Lakes Region in NH, and isn't even a blip on the Boston media screen.

A speeding ticket does not news make! A forum like this is the place where that information is most likely to show up but only if someone wants to do the legwork and go over to Glendale on a regular basis and look.

Bear Islander 07-04-2009 01:55 PM

I don't see where the number of tickets make any difference. If there are many, it will be said the limit was needed. If there are few (or none) it will be argued the limit is working.

This is the oppositions "Kobayashi Maru" scenario.

BroadHopper 07-06-2009 09:09 AM

Last weekend.

The MP's must have been concentrating their time looking for speeders.
The Captain Boneheads and Drunks were out full force!
Captain Pontoon came within feets of my boat as I am anchored in a Timber Island cove with grandkids in the water!

jrc 07-09-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 98973)
I don't see where the number of tickets make any difference. If there are many, it will be said the limit was needed. If there are few (or none) it will be argued the limit is working.

But remember "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" or was it the other way around?

VtSteve 07-10-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 98973)

Perhaps some will. But the MP had a statement in the paper not long ago about proponents expectations. Did you read it?

Kings Bluff 07-11-2009 11:01 AM

From what I saw last week the MP's aren't enforcing the speed limits in Alton Bay. Boats continue to roar by at all hours of the day and night.:eek:

fatlazyless 07-11-2009 01:31 PM

Today, for the last two hours, that expensive looking helicopter slowly moving about the lake up at 500' or so, is probably the state police chopper. So, don't forget to smile and wave :):D, and maybe you'll get to be televised on a soon-to-be-seen TruTV police epic!

Live from Lake Winnipesaukee....those boats can run....but can they hide....from the law enforcement eye in the sky:cool:?