Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fuller Oil and Propane (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16969)

jeffk 03-04-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand (Post 220387)
Why would they deliver just 10 gallons, unless they were on some sort of allocation from Sprague because of payment/cash flow issues? And what do phone issues have to do with folks on automatic delivery?
There is a lot more to this story. I feel concern for all the folks who prepaid and must now beg for oil to keep their families warm.

When you run out of fuel they send a "tech" down with 10 gallons and restart your furnace. The 10 gallons is enough for a day or two, during which time they are supposed to get a full delivery to you. So delivering just 10 gallons, in itself, doesn't mean too much about availability of fuel.

However, I agree about the phones having nothing to do with the auto delivery customers. Fuel. oil or propane, companies have computer programs that calculate fuel usage and the temperature is taken into account. They should be able to calculate and adjust delivery for MOST people. If a few people ran out, I would say that it was just an oops due to the extreme cold. But the scope of problem they are having is incomprehensible. Common sense should have told them they were not delivering oil in a timely manner.

When we ran out in January it had been 8 weeks since a delivery. Normal winter deliveries are no more than 6 weeks apart and in this cold should have been even sooner, not longer. So WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??? That is the question that Fuller has yet to answer and if he doesn't and continues to have these very public and troublesome problems, he is going to lose a lot of customers come next heating cycle.

My totally speculative guess is that Fuller planned on buying oil later in a season at a certain price and the price has skyrocketed past that point and every gallon he has to buy is losing him money on prebuy and capped customers. So he delays his buys as long as he can, hoping for prices to drop, but the cold lingers on and prices are staying high. I'm guessing but if supply is OK, per Sprague, and Fuller is not in financial trouble, WHAT else could it be? A grossly under planned delivery fleet?

ishoot308 03-05-2014 09:40 AM

Get With It Fred!

We just started using Fullers about 1 1/2 years ago and have nothing but good to say about their service thus far. Unfortunately it sounds like I am in the minority and the wagons have started circling...

While Fred himself may be of questionable character, one thing we all need to think about is that he also employs a lot of GOOD local people in the state who I am sure don't want to worry about losing their job...

It's been a long cold winter and I sure hope this mess with Fred Fuller gets resolved quickly and amicably and doesn't domino effect him out of business for the sake of the good people he employs and services...

Dan

Sue Doe-Nym 03-05-2014 09:41 AM

All the negative information stated above has been public knowledge for many years.

It is therefore very difficult to understand why so many people have continued to use Fred Fuller.

jeffk 03-05-2014 10:26 AM

Probably no jobs "lost"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 220422)
While Fred himself may be of questionable character, one thing we all need to think about is that he also employs a lot of GOOD local people in the state who I am sure don't want to worry about losing their job...
Dan

Oil (and propane) delivery is a relatively local business. People from New York are not coming to New Hampshire to deliver heating oil or do service. People will continue to need heating oil and service whether Fuller delivers it or some other company does. There are lots of other local companies that can take up the slack. Local drivers and techs will simply follow the business from Fuller to whoever it migrates to. If Stafford picks up 500 of Fuller's customers they will probably hire a new delivery driver. The business will not disappear because Fuller doesn't supply it.

Other NH companies seem to be meeting customer needs this winter. How come the biggest, who should have the best resources and deepest pockets, is continuing to struggle?

Rusty 03-05-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 220428)
Oil (and propane) delivery is a relatively local business. People from New York are not coming to New Hampshire to deliver heating oil or do service. People will continue to need heating oil and service whether Fuller delivers it or some other company does. There are lots of other local companies that can take up the slack. Local drivers and techs will simply follow the business from Fuller to whoever it migrates to. If Stafford picks up 500 of Fuller's customers they will probably hire a new delivery driver. The business will not disappear because Fuller doesn't supply it.

Other NH companies seem to be meeting customer needs this winter. How come the biggest, who should have the best resources and deepest pockets, is continuing to struggle?

By reading your posts about this issue, I like your logic about what might be happening. It appears that Fuller needs someone like you to get him straightened out. Give him a call. :)

brk-lnt 03-05-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 220422)
We just started using Fullers about 1 1/2 years ago and have nothing but good to say about their service thus far. Unfortunately it sounds like I am in the minority and the wagons have started circling...

It's been a long cold winter and I sure hope this mess with Fred Fuller gets resolved quickly and amicably and doesn't domino effect him out of business for the sake of the good people he employs and services...

Dan

We've used Fuller for 13 years now. In the past we've always had prompt service, it was easy to get through to them, and their service techs were generally very good.

While I haven't had the need for service on my equipment this year, we have had a heck of a time getting access to our pre-buy fuel. Supposedly we are on the delivery schedule for tomorrow, but it seems that only happened because my wife and I spent the better part of Monday morning constantly dialing their numbers until we got through.

As others have pointed out, you should not need ANY phone system in order to determine that your pre-buy customers need fuel deliveries. Sure, that would impact the customers that buy on demand, and THEY would have trouble getting through. However, these problems seem to have impacted Fuller customers across the board, and the explanations so far have been very weak.

Currently we have just over 1200 gallons left with Fuller in our pre-buy. If I get my delivery tomorrow as planned, that will use about 450 gallons. So, I'll still have about 800 gallons, or roughly $2400 sitting in an account that I'm worried about being able to get delivered before the company totally implodes.

I've seriously contemplated just going to Home Depot and buying 3 oil tanks and having Fuller fill them all with my remaining pre-buy oil.

ishoot308 03-05-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 220428)

I wish I could answer that Jeff but unfortunately I am not someone that is "in the know" and certainly don't pretend to be in this instance.

Maybe you answered your own question, because they are the biggest and this has the been the coldest winter on record in a long time they were caught shorthanded, not prepared, whatever you want to call it...I just don't know...

As far as other companies picking up employees of Fullers should the unthinkable happen...Your probably right, BUT I don't think any employee ever wants to start all over again and lose time and grade, vacation, (pension maybe) and all the other benefits accrued by a long term employee...

Like I said previously, I just hope this all works out for all parties involved, the business "Fred Fuller Oil", their employees and those they service.

I just know I can't be the only one who was happy this past year with Fuller...

Dan

upthesaukee 03-05-2014 12:44 PM

We are customers from at least 24 yrs.

I have service tags going back to 1990, and I suspect my folks contracted with them before that. I would guess back to the early 1980's, and perhaps as early as 1976 when they bought the land and brought over the trailer and porch that started our residence here.

I have dealt with Fuller Oil personally from 1996 and we have never had a problem. I too am on automatic delivery, and although I heat primarily with wood, I do have to run the oil burner in very cold weather, like this year. We are on automatic delivery, but we do monitor our oil supply, and on a few occasions, we have contacted them to report we are down to about a 1/4 tank. Usually within the next week or so, we get a delivery of Kerosene (outdoor tank). From my perspective, automatic delivery does not mean the oil company (any oil company) is going to be able to always calculate oil supplies. I feel that as a homeowner, I have a stake in monitoring the amount of oil I have on hand.

I will be glad when this winter is over, and hopefully Fuller's headaches will end.

Chaselady 03-05-2014 12:52 PM

And I heard they let the Alton Central School run dry. The kids were in cold classrooms this week. They weren't answering calls from the town either.

Happy Gourmand 03-05-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 220433)
I wish I could answer that Jeff but unfortunately I am not someone that is "in the know" and certainly don't pretend to be in this instance.

Maybe you answered your own question, because they are the biggest and this has the been the coldest winter on record in a long time they were caught shorthanded, not prepared, whatever you want to call it...I just don't know...

As far as other companies picking up employees of Fullers should the unthinkable happen...Your probably right, BUT I don't think any employee ever wants to start all over again and lose time and grade, vacation, (pension maybe) and all the other benefits accrued by a long term employee...

Like I said previously, I just hope this all works out for all parties involved, the business "Fred Fuller Oil", their employees and those they service.

I just know I can't be the only one who was happy this past year with Fuller...

Dan

Commendable thoughts, I think we all share them. But maybe Mr Fuller should have thought of these things before he decided to let his business "go south" twice this winter. This does not in any way seem to be an industry wide issue and it doesn't seen feasible that the issues are related to the size of the company. This appears to be a mismanagement issue.
I'm not a Fuller customer, but if I were, especially after this second debacle, I would be searching for another supplier.
I believe there is a procedure in place to recover any prepaid funds.

brk-lnt 03-05-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 220447)
From my perspective, automatic delivery does not mean the oil company (any oil company) is going to be able to always calculate oil supplies. I feel that as a homeowner, I have a stake in monitoring the amount of oil I have on hand.

In essence I agree with you. If your usage is much higher than "normal", then you might have to call and schedule a delivery early. But if you are not using excessive amounts of heat, the oil company can and should be able to anticipate your usage AND schedule their drivers on logical routes to make efficient deliveries.

I could see a rare instance where you might have to call them and request an early delivery, even with normal usage. If their business is running properly, it would be reasonable to expect you can get through on the phones with no issues, and they could give you a confirmed delivery in the next 24-48 hours. My experience this year with Fuller has not shown that to be true. In January we were well below 1/4 of a tank and I couldn't get through to anyone at Fuller for a full day, so I had to use an alternate supplier. I finally got through to Fuller, and they topped off the tanks a few days later. Based on historical data (over the last 13 years, I've logged every delivery date and amount) we would have been due for another refill mid-February. That didn't happen, and we were a couple days into March with our tanks running empty. Again, it took several attempts to get through the phones, and on the first call they couldn't give us any confirmation of a timely delivery, just a promise to "put us on the list".

IMO, if they are going to sign you up for *automatic* delivery on a pre-buy program, they should be able to manage that appropriately. Yes, as the homeowner I need to keep an eye on my oil levels, which I did. But Fullers performance this season has been pretty much consistently poor since December-ish.

tis 03-05-2014 01:27 PM

BRK, I feel sorry for you. I hope you get all your pre buy before and if anything happens.

ishoot308 03-05-2014 01:36 PM

Brk;

Sounds like you did everything right and were put in the same boat as many of the others who are rightfully unhappy.

I hope everything works out for you.

Dan

brk-lnt 03-05-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 220456)
Brk;

Sounds like you did everything right and were put in the same boat as many of the others who are rightfully unhappy.

I hope everything works out for you.

Dan

Thanks. It's not like we're in danger of freezing, I can afford to abandon whatever I have left with Fuller and just buy more oil someplace else. It would be disappointing for sure, but hardly something to put me in financial distress. I'm more concerned about people that have a chunk of money tied up with Fuller and no financial means to just go out and essentially re-buy their heating oil from another supplier. What Fuller is doing here is, IMO, a very significant disservice to the community. They are putting customers at risk, and I think it's reasonable to assume they are putting the income stream of their employees at risk through bad business practices.

While I've been a satisfied customer for 13 years, their handling of this is atrocious and when I look at the greater extent of the problem I'm not willing to cut them any slack. The rolling impact of this is too great for anything less than a complete and honest explanation by the company. They did NOT get into this because of a faulty phone system, and the longer they attempt to hide behind that excuse, the more worried I am about the sustainability of the company.

upthesaukee 03-05-2014 04:19 PM

I am not on a pre-buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 220454)
IMO, if they are going to sign you up for *automatic* delivery on a pre-buy program, they should be able to manage that appropriately. Yes, as the homeowner I need to keep an eye on my oil levels, which I did. But Fullers performance this season has been pretty much consistently poor since December-ish.

As I said earlier, I am fortunate (?) because I usually get one fill up a year, which is really good seeing how I have to use Kerosene. I am not on a pre-buy because of our low use, and because my experience with a pre-buy with an organization I am involved with was not good... for two years. The pre-buy was good if the price went higher than the pre-buy rate, but no relief if the price dropped below. but that is for another thread.

Back on track, I hope they get it together... I can see some legal ramifications coming about, either in a civil area, or by the state.

Legionnaire70 03-05-2014 05:47 PM

I'd say the writing on the wall is pretty clear, they will be claiming bankruptcy soon i'm sure....probably in the same line as THE MEAT HOUSE...

brk-lnt 03-05-2014 06:16 PM

BTW, if you were one of the Fred Fuller customers previously affected and had to buy oil elsewhere, you can read a fairy tale letter from Fred here, and download a form to submit a claim for reimbursement:

http://www.fullers.com/news/issue-claims-form

They have set up a fund equal to their "donation" to the state of NH, which had to step in to run their business for them. So, this fund is about $22,000 or so. That means the first, maybe, 150 people to submit a form might have a chance at reimbursement.

Lakemamma 03-06-2014 05:32 PM

Thank you BRK for that....

I called them today as I am still waiting for our delivery. Again I got told might b there in 10 days and that's what I was told last time I called. The receptionist said well we understand if you go somewhere else. Wow, ok I will thanks I need oil and I need it now.

Called another company and will get delivery tomorrow. :)

secondcurve 03-06-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakemamma (Post 220534)
Thank you BRK for that....

I called them today as I am still waiting for our delivery. Again I got told might b there in 10 days and that's what I was told last time I called. The receptionist said well we understand if you go somewhere else. Wow, ok I will thanks I need oil and I need it now.

Called another company and will get delivery tomorrow. :)

You're a good person for waiting so long to take your business elsewhere. But it is always the right move to make when a company is consistently unable to meet its customers' needs.

Charlie T 03-06-2014 06:27 PM

Who is accepting new customers?

Does anyone have any info on which oil companies are accepting new customers and who may be reliable? Many of us on the Forum are out of town and don't have the easy access that those of you who live at the lake 24/7 do to this type of info. It's a very uncomfortable feeling to not know how much oil is in the tank and not be able to rely on your supplier for fuel.
Thanks
CT

Lakemamma 03-06-2014 08:36 PM

Hi Charlie,

There is

Foley
Laconia Oil
Stafford

All local and it seems that everybody is willing to help this problem. It seems once you tell them your a Fred customer they really feel our pain. They would be happy to take on new customers.

Good luck with your search. This sure is frustrating.......

Sorry you are going through this also.

brk-lnt 03-06-2014 09:05 PM

FWIW, Fuller did come today as promised and topped us up with 420 gallons.

Lakemamma 03-06-2014 09:28 PM

Brk,

That is great news..... Glad you got your oil. :)

upthesaukee 03-06-2014 09:43 PM

We followed a Fuller tanker today...

We were coming out of Concord on 202/4/9 eastbound and were passed by a Fuller tanker going up the hill by Tractor Supply in Chichester. Obviously empty and heading back to the coast. A good sign.

BroadHopper 03-07-2014 09:46 AM

Foley Fuel in laconia

Has a big sign outside their office on S, main St in Laconia. 'Taking on new customers'.

ITD 03-18-2014 02:27 PM

Former Fred Fuller customer here..... ran out of oil, enough is enough. Hopefully the new company will be better....

Den65 03-18-2014 07:44 PM

thinking of leaving myself

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 221154)
Former Fred Fuller customer here..... ran out of oil, enough is enough. Hopefully the new company will be better....

Have been a long time Fuller oil customer both myself and my father-in-law, but he was suppose to get a delivery on the 17th an order that was put in 2 weeks earlier and when they didn't show he ran out. So I called and asked WHEN was the truck coming because he was out and I was told it would be sometime this week........unless we wanted an emergency delivery which would cost $97 more? So 3 trips to the gas station with two 5 gallon jugs we got him going. But if they don't show I'm gone. I do believe we have had worse winters than this and I have never had this type of problem, there has to be more to this story.

secondcurve 03-19-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den65 (Post 221178)
Have been a long time Fuller oil customer both myself and my father-in-law, but he was suppose to get a delivery on the 17th an order that was put in 2 weeks earlier and when they didn't show he ran out. So I called and asked WHEN was the truck coming because he was out and I was told it would be sometime this week........unless we wanted an emergency delivery which would cost $97 more? So 3 trips to the gas station with two 5 gallon jugs we got him going. But if they don't show I'm gone. I do believe we have had worse winters than this and I have never had this type of problem, there has to be more to this story.

Let me get this straight. Your father in law calls Fuller two weeks in advance for an oil delivery. They don't show up and you go back and forth to the gas station to keep him warm. You call Fuller and they say it will be an extra $97.00 fee to resolve an emergency they created. And you give Fuller another chance to resolve the situation? It is amazing to me how forgiving some of Fred Fullers customers are.

BroadHopper 03-19-2014 10:05 AM

Fuller Oil

My step daughter called Fuller Oil yesterday that they failed a promised delivery and that they are out of oil. Fuller actually told her to find another supplier! Now that is a twist! Are they going out of business?

Sunbeam lodge 03-19-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 221200)
My step daughter called Fuller Oil yesterday that they failed a promised delivery and that they are out of oil. Fuller actually told her to find another supplier! Now that is a twist! Are they going out of business?

I sure hope not.
I have been a customer since 1994 and never had any problems and he services my furnace every year

Den65 03-19-2014 12:38 PM

I hear ya

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 221190)
Let me get this straight. Your father in law calls Fuller two weeks in advance for an oil delivery. They don't show up and you go back and forth to the gas station to keep him warm. You call Fuller and they say it will be an extra $97.00 fee to resolve an emergency they created. And you give Fuller another chance to resolve the situation? It is amazing to me how forgiving some of Fred Fullers customers are.

I hear what your saying and you are right . I have contacted Irving oil to have them deliver my next tank, I have them for propane and adding oil was no big deal. I know you have oil thru Fullers and propane thru Irving ? Yup just they way it happen. Let you know how it goes. :)

fpartri497 03-20-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge (Post 221207)
I sure hope not.
I have been a customer since 1994 and never had any problems and he services my furnace every year

I have been a customer since 1990 this week It took me 3 phone calls to finally get my Oil. thats the 1st. time ever had a problem with fuller

:eek:

BroadHopper 03-20-2014 07:19 AM

Laconia Oil

http://laconiaoil.com/

They seem to have a good base. Any comments?

Lakeboater 03-20-2014 09:30 AM

My neighbor had been a long time Fuller customer. She came home after being away for the weekend to find herself out of oil and her house 42 degrees. No luck getting thru to Fuller so she tried another local company who came out and got her going and then filled her tank. She switched to them and the new company put a sign on the oil fill telling Fuller not to deliver.

upthesaukee 03-20-2014 09:38 AM

Feeling good...

On Monday, my wife called Fuller Laconia to order a delivery. We were right at a quarter tank of Kerosene. Phone answered in about a dozen rings.

The lady looked up our account and said that by their records, we should be at about 40%, and thanked us for letting them know.

She said they did not have any Kerosene, but would have a delivery and we should get oil next week. Ok, is it time to get worried??? Fortunately, we do heat primarily with wood, so our dependency is lessened somewhat on oil.

About 20 minutes ago, right after our driveway was plowed, Fred Fuller Oil truck pulled into our driveway. I had not shoveled out the path to the tank and the driver said "no problem". I did thank him for the delivery, and he thanked us for staying with Fuller.

We can now continue to be happy Fuller customers, and are pleased that we are getting our "senior" rate along with the prompt pay discount.

Some Fuller stories do have a happy ending. :D

Happy Gourmand 03-20-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 221267)
On Monday, my wife called Fuller Laconia to order a delivery. We were right at a quarter tank of Kerosene. Phone answered in about a dozen rings.

The lady looked up our account and said that by their records, we should be at about 40%, and thanked us for letting them know.

She said they did not have any Kerosene, but would have a delivery and we should get oil next week. Ok, is it time to get worried??? Fortunately, we do heat primarily with wood, so our dependency is lessened somewhat on oil.

About 20 minutes ago, right after our driveway was plowed, Fred Fuller Oil truck pulled into our driveway. I had not shoveled out the path to the tank and the driver said "no problem". I did thank him for the delivery, and he thanked us for staying with Fuller.

We can now continue to be happy Fuller customers, and are pleased that we are getting our "senior" rate along with the prompt pay discount.

Some Fuller stories do have a happy ending. :D

From many other posts, this story is not ended.

HellRaZoR004 03-20-2014 10:42 AM

My question now is why hasn't the media picked up on the issues once again? What happened to the state review of Fuller's prepaid contracts?

upthesaukee 03-20-2014 11:16 AM

Just a quick clarification...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 221273)
My question now is why hasn't the media picked up on the issues once again? What happened to the state review of Fuller's prepaid contracts?

While we are on "automatic delivery", we do not pre-buy our oil. Heating primarily with oil, we find it better to have our money in our checking account than in a utilities. We get a senior citizen discount, and we always prompt pay.

GTO 03-20-2014 12:54 PM

other oil companies

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 221253)
http://laconiaoil.com/

They seem to have a good base. Any comments?

How about any experience with the other companies in the lakes regions, Foley, Stafford, etc? Not just for delivery but for serviice as well

HellRaZoR004 03-20-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 221278)
While we are on "automatic delivery", we do not pre-buy our oil. Heating primarily with oil, we find it better to have our money in our checking account than in a utilities. We get a senior citizen discount, and we always prompt pay.

That's good clarification. It might mean the difference between getting oil because you have money to give them rather than getting oil that was supposed to be bought previously.