Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > CaptJP
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
Lake Level
12-30-2023 08:45 AM
by nj2nh
Last post by ApS
Yesterday 09:08 PM
29 Replies, 8,024 Views
50 condos proposed for...
04-12-2024 06:54 AM
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 07:29 PM
19 Replies, 2,731 Views
Dive, Belle, Doris?
Yesterday 02:48 PM
by Descant
Last post by Descant
Yesterday 02:48 PM
0 Replies, 417 Views
Laconia State School...
03-14-2024 11:38 AM
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 10:38 AM
53 Replies, 5,896 Views
On Demand HW
Yesterday 09:25 AM
by JMR
Last post by JMR
Yesterday 09:25 AM
0 Replies, 385 Views
» Made in USA
  1. Old Comment

10 Clues You Don't Have A Clue

Well, I have to admit that I am being a bit facetious with this list. It's the accumulation of input from various sources and comes from perceptions others typically have of these sorts of things. I actually share some of this in jest with new boaters to help them become more knowledgeable. Joking around helps the info stick.

I suppose I should add a few of my own "clueless" moments where I was pretty embarrassed:

- Leaving my ladder down when departing an anchorage
    - Losing my stern anchor because it wasn't tied to the boat (but I did go for a swim and recover it)
    - docking perfectly, but three feet away from the dock (I get stage fright sometimes when people know who I am and have high expectations of my docking abilities).... a sure guarantee for me to screw it up.
  2. Old Comment

10 Clues You Don't Have A Clue

While I agree with many of your points, I would take issue with two of them.
    Number 1...could just be an honest mistake. Or maybe someone in a major rush due to an emergency. I don't think anyone would think they are supposed to leave the fenders out.
    Number 2... I think many of us have done this when first starting out. I remember 4 years back when I was completely baffled at how easily everyone else could dock a boat, and I just could not seem to get the hang of it. I often would come in, try to pull up, fall a bit short, and toss a stern line, only to fall short. I don't think it was because I didn't "have a clue", but rather would get big time stage fright as I pulled up to dock with people everywhere. It lasted almost that whole first season, but happy to report, it has become second nature now. I guess I "got a clue".