Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > Roy Sanborn
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
Laconia State School...
03-14-2024 11:38 AM
Last post by TiltonBB
Today 06:16 AM
7 Replies, 1,786 Views
Big Boom
Yesterday 08:11 PM
by LongBay
Last post by Slickcraft
Today 05:30 AM
9 Replies, 530 Views
Update to Lake Related...
01-16-2024 03:37 PM
Last post by Fishcat
Today 05:02 AM
157 Replies, 21,238 Views
Laconia Planning Director
05-01-2023 05:00 PM
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 05:09 PM
9 Replies, 2,395 Views
Huge Commercial Project...
01-30-2024 03:29 PM
Last post by codeman671
Yesterday 10:34 AM
111 Replies, 22,648 Views
» Made in USA
Rate this Entry

Looking for an immaculate home??

Submit "Looking for an immaculate home??" to Facebook Submit "Looking for an immaculate home??" to Digg Submit "Looking for an immaculate home??" to Google Submit "Looking for an immaculate home??" to Twitter
Posted 07-02-2010 at 02:17 PM by Roy Sanborn

In search of an immaculate home...

I was searching the MLS last week for a home between $250,000 and $450,000. A home that you would consider to be of high quality, great condition, wonderfully maintained, and that has lots of character and charm. A home that I would call special. I was only looking in three or four specific communities but I really didn’t come up with much. Undaunted, I broadened the search to include all the homes in Belknap County and Moultonborough regardless of price. Fortunately, the MLS search system we use allows me to search for very specific keywords within the public description of the property so I can zero right in on the type of property I wanted. I picked “keywords” that would describe a desirable home and searched through the 1300+ homes currently on the market. The results were surprising and yielded two obvious conclusions.

Was the maid off last week??

Of the 1300+ homes available there were only 27 “immaculate” homes found! Can you believe that? Does that mean there are 1273 less than stellar house-keepers out there, or perhaps some of the homes were listed the week the maid was off, or maybe the agent just didn’t want to mention the state of cleanliness of the home? I’m not sure what keyword to use to look for something less than “immaculate”. I tried “well kept” and only 9 homes came back (one being “well kept immaculate”—I liked that one!). The search revealed only 16 homes when I plugged “pristine” into the search. That’s not a real common word to use, but who wouldn’t want a pristine home? Of the 16 homes that came up only 3 were “pristine homes”. The rest were describing the setting, the frontage, the water, the lot, and so on.

How about “high quality” homes? There were only 3 out of 1300! What quality were the rest? I tried “well built” and found only 4 properties. Now I am getting really concerned that the remaining 1293 homes are all of inferior construction…or is it again a case of vague property descriptions? It was hard to tell by some of the photos of the homes that I looked at.

What about a “like new” home. I found a mere 19 and some of those only “looked” like they were new, some “showed” like they were new, and some were in “like new condition”. All the rest of the 1281 listings therefore weren’t “like new” and had to be just plain “new”, “young”, “older”, or maybe even had Indian Shutters and an outhouse.

I found just 48 of the 1300 to be described as “well maintained”. That can’t be good. However, only 9 needed “TLC”. I highly suspect that in reality both these results are much higher. That’s good and bad.

A real Charming house!

There were 67 “charming” properties listed. Now anything can be “charming”, but I think this word gets misused a lot as some of the homes were not remotely charming based on the pictures I saw. I love homes with “character”, but there were only 18 homes that came up in the search. That means there could be 1282 lackluster, bland homes out there. There were 48 “cozy” properties starting with a $35,000 A-Frame home all the way up to a $1.4 million cottage on Governors Island. That’s a big range for the word “cozy”.

Not the kind of character I was looking for...

But, there were 133 “wonderful” results! There were wonderful “communities, lots, neighborhoods, spots, lawns, locations, gardens, and floor plans”. And there was the age old wonderful “family home”. It seemed though that you had to get up in the price range quite a bit before the true meaning of “wonderful” really kicked in…
And, lastly, the keyword “beautiful” yielded 334 properties. There were beautiful “floors, lots, woodwork, waterfront, landscaping, yards, etc, etc, etc…”, but only 16 beautiful “homes”. The rest therefore had to be only good looking, maybe stately, or down-right ugly. But as they say: beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, I mean beholder, so this category is somewhat subjective.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out how to use multiple keywords in my search. It wouldn’t seem to let me do it. But I bet if you were looking for an immaculate, pristine, well maintained, and charming home you wouldn’t find any at all---at least by the description of the property.

So you could conclude that (1) there are few homes on the market that are really outstanding or that (2) the property descriptions could be improved. Perhaps it is little of both? There does seem to be shortage of really great, high quality homes with character and charm especially in the mid-price ranges. It’s not that there aren’t good solid houses out there, but as Realtors®, we don’t walk into too many low to mid-priced homes where the first word out of our mouths is “Wow!”. We rely on photos a lot to convey what a house is like and many times great pictures can make up for a lackluster description. But it would also help a great deal if there were honest property descriptions relaying more about the condition, quality, and how a property feels rather than something like: “This 3 bed, 2 bath, Colonial on nice 2 acre level lot, has new appliances and flooring, a large deck, plus a huge back yard. Great location. Hurry, won’t last long.” (and just for the record there were only 45 homes that had a “great location”).

So if YOU are looking for any of the foregoing attributes in a home, call me! I know where all the beautiful, high quality, immaculate and pristine homes with character and charm are. It is not an easy job, but someone has to do it...

Posted in Real Estate
Share Views 3207 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments