Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > trfour
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
Ice-Out Declared!
03-17-2024 05:14 PM
Last post by WinnisquamZ
Yesterday 08:38 PM
10 Replies, 1,746 Views
A New Chinese restaurant...
02-28-2024 02:41 PM
Last post by bushwack1
Yesterday 03:06 PM
30 Replies, 5,387 Views
How safe is downtown ...
03-12-2024 05:41 AM
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 02:30 PM
70 Replies, 7,345 Views
Town Budgets Mild Winter
Yesterday 02:32 AM
by Chubby
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 09:03 AM
1 Replies, 872 Views
ENSO Japanese Steak House
03-15-2024 12:34 PM
Last post by webmaster
Yesterday 08:00 AM
6 Replies, 1,691 Views
» Made in USA
Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Photo Entries Of Our Family Album

Submit "Photo Entries Of Our Family Album" to Facebook Submit "Photo Entries Of Our Family Album" to Digg Submit "Photo Entries Of Our Family Album" to Google Submit "Photo Entries Of Our Family Album" to Twitter
Posted 07-06-2009 at 04:01 PM by trfour
Updated 08-07-2010 at 03:25 AM by trfour (Add Link)

Family album from Life, 1953
My Sister and I are in the process of taking the album apart to scan all of the photos so as to give copies to all of our family members.

Loading the luggage trailer, and heading west, only to return to Lake Winnipesaukee, several years later.
Love,
T

PS. Part of the story of our journey west was published in a Dec. 28th 1953 issue of Life Magazine.
Link; http://books.google.com/books?id=-T8...age&q=&f=false

The Boss In The Kitchen.
Of our new mobile home. "Best In The World"!!!!

Life Magazine-And I quote; " The Ruggs lost their old home in Stoneham for back taxes".
Our old home was up for sale and had not sold before we had to start the trip west. Power of attorney was left with what my Dad thought was a friend, and low and behold after we were out in California, found out that this creep sat on and upped the price, let it go into forclosure, and baught it from the bank for peanuts!... As you can imagion, My Folks already had a full plate out west and chalked it up to experiance...

Also, my brother Brynn fell from the second rung of a ladder to an upper bunk bed and just was unlucky enough to land wrong on his leg...

This story will continue...
Love,
T
The next portion of our trip, although out of sequence I remember very well and would like to share it with Y'all.

I was 7 years old, pushing 8.
We had spent the day in Salt Lake City before travelling south into Las Vegas.
On this leg of our trip, the bought used luggage trailer had a bent axle and would strip the rubber off a new tire on a pretty regular basis, especially in the heat of day... It and we experienced two flat tires, which slowed us down immeasurably. The decision was made in Las Vegas to cross the Mojave Desert at night.

Well, there just happened to be a raging wind and sandstorm and my Dad had his hands full trying to keep the high profile rig in one lane. Here comes a State Trooper that had been following us for a while, he pulled us over and made us put up at a truck stop over night until the storm blew over.
Now, even after the sunset it was HOT. Neither the Buicks or the Magic Carpet had air conditioning. I was tired and went to bed early that evening.
Before my Mom and Dad turned in for the night, they left the front door open with just the screen door closed for ventilation.
Next, and this could have been the early creation of how Brinks Home Security got started.

They took out Every pot & pan, piled them on the kitchen counter, tied a string from them and over to the screen door handle, so as any would-be intruder would at least wake us up!
So guess who wakes up thirsty in the middle of the night, stumbles out to the kitchen and streight away sets this crude but very effective devise off!
'HE, double hocky sticks' broke loose, and the pain of the pots & pans bouncing off of my bare toes, and my own family coming at me with rolling pins, baseball bats and guns, you can talk all you want about seeing you're life flash before you're very EYES!!
Oh, and take another guess who was on everyones dung list for a few days, to boot!...

I added a newspaper clip of our Mom that won on an old TV show back in the fifties that some may remember, Queen for a Day Hosted by the late " Jack Bailey. "
The Rugg family children got to watch the episode live at home on TV.
For those who remember, and would like to take a trip back and down memory lane, I will add a link to some old video clips of the show. http://www.queenforaday.com/queen-for-a-day-clip3.asp

Enjoy,

Our 34 day trek across our very and beautiful United States braught us to, on the evening of and July 6th, 1952 when we pulled into The Airport Trailer Village- Park in Westchester, CA. A suburb west of Los Angeles.
Were there for a week and moved to Artesia, southeast of Los Angeles.
The trailer was in place and Dad decided he would put the stabbalizers in place the next day.

It was here at 5:00 AM the next morning that we discovered one of California's notoriaties.
"EARTHQUAKE!" The Tahachapi earthquake paid us a visit. Had our wheeled trailer rocking and swaying like a washing machine. Most of us ended down on the floor and thought that our trailer was going to, see you on the flip side.
Opened the back door and saw the COWs, in a field and pasture, falling and tumbling over like candle pins.

Sight seeing in New York, and the disarmorment fo a cannon at the Gettysburge Memorial Battleground.

Viewing the Empire State Building.

Trying to find a spot to park the tent, Fort Wayne Indiana.

Pulling out of Cajon Pass, CA.

Moral to this story, haven't quite got there yet, If Mother Nature could ever give a Clue,
"TRUST AND BELIEVE IN HER!"

More pics by Life Magazine...

Brother Fred being picked up at the house by the Marines. He served in Okinawa.

Brother Mel served in the Navy, and your's truley served in the Army Signal Corps

Updated 09-07-2009 at 02:12 AM by trfour (Add smaller pictures)
Tags
From left to right, Brynn, Dad, Mom, June, Fred, Bob, Mel, Linda, Diane, Terry, Doņa.

Sister Sandra was born out in California, after our journey. Attached Images

A Magic Carpet Ride , And The Rugg's

Posted 07-06-2009 at 12:54 AM by trfour
Updated 08-30-2009 at 12:59 AM by trfour (Additions to text)
Tags
My Mom and Dad were thinking about moving to California from the east coast back in 19and 51. This adventure would have to be thought out well in advance because at the time we were a family of 9 children. First of all, as we all know today, how can we make this gigantic move, and secondly, do we have anymore families of this size today?.... Food for thought. If you are thinking that maybe times were better back in the day, try it!!

Second of all, logistics, feeding the family while...
Continue reading...
Attached Images
Attached ImagesUS3091480.pdf (323.9 KB, 16 views)

trfour

Tags
My Mom and Dad were thinking about moving to California from the east coast back in 19and 51. This adventure would have to be thought out well in advance because at the time we were a family of 9 children. First of all, as we all know today, how can we make this gigantic move, and secondly, do we have anymore families of this size today?.... Food for thought. If you are thinking that maybe times were better back in the day, try it!!

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour

Tags

Continue reading...
Attached Images

trfour
Attached Images

Posted in Uncategorized
Share Views 88338 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments