Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > Roy Sanborn
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
A New Chinese restaurant...
02-28-2024 02:41 PM
Last post by phoenix
Yesterday 09:01 PM
32 Replies, 7,095 Views
Gilford’s new red “barn”
12-02-2023 11:33 AM
by Jeanzb1
Last post by John Mercier
Yesterday 08:47 PM
63 Replies, 13,670 Views
Town Budgets Mild Winter
03-18-2024 02:32 AM
by Chubby
Last post by AB_Monterey
Yesterday 08:21 PM
27 Replies, 3,746 Views
Downing's Landing
04-14-2023 08:04 AM
Last post by upthesaukee
Yesterday 08:01 PM
4 Replies, 2,905 Views
Big Boom
03-27-2024 08:11 PM
by LongBay
Last post by Rvbuddy
Yesterday 06:57 PM
12 Replies, 1,233 Views
» Made in USA
Rate this Entry

A Ghostly Disclosure - The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report - September 2015 Sa

Submit "A Ghostly Disclosure - The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report - September 2015 Sa" to Facebook Submit "A Ghostly Disclosure - The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report - September 2015 Sa" to Digg Submit "A Ghostly Disclosure - The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report - September 2015 Sa" to Google Submit "A Ghostly Disclosure - The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report - September 2015 Sa" to Twitter
Posted 10-26-2015 at 09:52 AM by Roy Sanborn

A Ghostly Disclosure - The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report - September 2015 Sales

A Ghostly Disclosure - The Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report - September 2015 Sales

Last week I received a call to go out and meet with a homeowner who wanted to possibly sell her home. As I approached the house, which turned out to be at the end of a long dirt road, I noticed several out buildings and a barn all of which seemed to be in great condition. I stopped in the large circular driveway in front of the house and could not help but admire the setting and how well kept the home was.

As I went up the steps to the large front porch of the farm house, I noticed an elderly couple sitting at the far end. The early morning light wasn’t great as the sun was behind them, but I could see that the elderly gentleman was rather thin and pale and had long grey hair with a bit of stubble on his face.
He was dressed in a worn blue suit, linen shirt, was holding an old wood handled hammer, and on the floor next to his dusty boots was a bucket of hand tools. The woman, who I assumed was the lady who had called me, was dressed in a long floral patterned dress and an apron that reminded me of my grandmother. She looked like a typical spinster with a slight build and her silver hair was neatly up in a bun. I looked twice as I thought she had a chicken in her lap but I realized, thankfully, it was just a feather duster. A broom was leaned against the railing next to her. They just kind of stared blankly, seemingly surprised to see me.

I said “Hi, how you doing?” and as I started to approach them, the old buck nodded toward the front door and pointed a long bony finger in that direction. I had visions of Keith Richards for a second, but got the message and turned back toward the door and knocked. A younger and prettier version of the lady on the porch quickly answered the door to welcome me in. As I started to step inside, I glanced toward the end of the porch and the couple was still there, staring off into space.

The homeowner led me to the living room and told me that she and her husband had bought the property about ten years ago. Her husband had a job opportunity in another state that he wanted to take so now they had to part with it even though they loved it. The home had belonged to her great Uncle and Aunt whom she knew only for a short time before they passed away. It had changed hands several times since their passing and when it finally came available again they jumped on the chance to buy it. She said her and her husband, along with two children and a menagerie of dogs, have truly enjoyed the home but now it was time to move on.

She gave me a tour of the home and I couldn’t help but be impressed with it even though it was built in the mid 1800’s. It was tastefully updated, nicely decorated, and yet retained a lot of the early character of a quaint country farm. And, it was spotless. I mean really spotless. I commented on how clean the home was and the lady said, “You know, this home is the easiest place to take care of that I have ever lived in! Even with two kids and the dogs running through it all the time, it’s a breeze to keep up with! Even my husband barely needs to do any maintenance around here other than mow the lawn and the place looks great.”

I told her I would go back and do a market analysis for her and get back to her with what I thought the value would be. I then asked if there was anything that she would want a prospective buyer to know. She thought for a moment and whispered, “You know, sometimes we hear strange noises at night. Sometimes it is just banging, sometimes like sawing, and other times it a swishing noise, like someone is sweeping the floor.”

I said it was nice that her parents had come to stay with her a while and that I had kind of met them on the porch on the way in. She looked surprised and exclaimed, “My parents live in Florida! Someone was on my porch?!” As we stepped out on the porch, off course, no one was there… just the broom...moved over by the side door.

So, let’s be clear, if you are buying a home in NH, you should know that there is no line in the Seller’s Property Disclosure to tell you if a house is haunted. Remember, this is the Live Free or Die state. There's bound to be a bunch of dead people still haunting more than few homes around here. So if you are faint of heart, scared of things that go bump in the night, worried about ghosts and demons, afraid to hear moans, groans, screams, and the wailing of souls that are trapped between the living world and the dead, you should definitely ask the listing agent if the house you are looking at is haunted or possessed. I promise, if I know, I will tell you because I don't want you haunting me after you but the place! But you know, you might just get a spirit that keeps your house clean. They ain’t all bad, you know…

September was a great month for residential sales in the twelve Lakes Region of NH communities covered by this real estate market report. There were 111 homes that found new owners with an average sales price of $378,900 and a median price point of $229,900. This brings our total so far this year to 808 sales at an average price of $342,499 compared to 726 sales at an average price of $315,592 for the same period in 2014. That’s an 11% increase in total sales over last year. Pretty spooky, right? Happy Halloween!

Data compiled using the NNEREN MLS System

Posted in General
Share Views 10142 Comments 0
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments