Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Blogs > hazelnut
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Quiz
» Articles - Information
» Recent Forum Threads
Family Mystery - Appeal...
Yesterday 09:53 PM
Last post by ishoot308
Today 10:17 AM
5 Replies, 432 Views
Laconia State School...
03-14-2024 11:38 AM
Last post by John Mercier
Today 08:03 AM
55 Replies, 6,518 Views
Whirlpool - Warranty...
10-28-2022 04:46 AM
Last post by danieljans191
Today 02:52 AM
40 Replies, 12,635 Views
Origin of a Name
Yesterday 08:04 AM
Last post by Slickcraft
Yesterday 06:27 PM
8 Replies, 1,174 Views
Dave's boat shoppe ?
04-11-2024 07:22 AM
by posas
Last post by Fargo
Yesterday 01:02 PM
34 Replies, 4,296 Views
» Made in USA
Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average.

Moving Day

Submit "Moving Day" to Facebook Submit "Moving Day" to Digg Submit "Moving Day" to Google Submit "Moving Day" to Twitter
Posted 05-28-2008 at 07:22 AM by hazelnut

After signing the Purchase and Sales agreement in July of 2002 the race was on! The race to find..... FURNITURE. You see, the place was completely empty. Yup, most likely the only Island house in the history of Island houses to come completely UN-furnished, save for a wicker furniture set. So we began the process of asking any and all friends and family members for free furniture. You'd be surprised what you can get if you just ask. I found myself traveling all over the state of MA, to pick up free furniture. Over that month I was able to acquire a full living room, kitchen set, 6 beds, various lamps, and even dishes and silverware. Mission accomplished.
Of course we pushed for an extremely fast closing. If it weren't for bank red tape and paperwork we'd have closed a week later. As it was a closing in less than 30 days was a miracle in itself. So the first weekend in August 2002 was the scheduled closing/moving day. So you may be asking yourself, "How do you get an entire house full of furniture out to an island in one day?" I asked myself that question. I found the answer. You drive a Ryder truck on to a barge and have the barge drive the truck with the furniture in it over to the island. Don't ask if a Ryder truck sinking on the lake is covered by insurance because I didn't ask, I just prayed. The sight of a big Ryder truck on a barge putting across the lake is a sight I will not soon forget. Fortunately we have deep water in front of our place so the barge was able to pull right up and we actually drove the truck on to the front lawn. Perhaps one of the only times a moving truck has graced the shores of Cow Island? We unloaded that truck in record time. We just basically dumped everything on to the front lawn so we could get the truck back on the barge. Time was ticking and we were on the clock $$$. Well we bid farewell to the barge and began the task of loading the house. It really helps to have great family and good friends because we had that house set up within hours. Beds, Couches, Tables, Lamps, etc. One comment was made at the end of the day that it looked like we had lived there for years. So there it is, the beginning of the journey that has been 6 years of living on the island. Up next, first impressions of Island Life....
Posted in Island Life
Share Views 127135 Comments 4
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment

moving trucks on Cow

Hazelnut, you weren't the first to do this. Check out photo of our moving day on June 30, 2002......just weeks before you!

Orchestrating that whole thing, including getting Uhaul truck (never again), and loading truck, then getting it on barge and across from Harilla was an adventure.

Great minds think alike.

I agree with your opening premise.....there is nothing like island life.
  2. Old Comment
  3. Old Comment
    Awesome! I am glad to know I was not the only insane person to try this method of moving. Ha ha ha
  4. Old Comment
    Great subject and you tell your story well. Did you take pictures of the truck on the barge and on the lawn? Orion's was great.
    BTW, I agree with both you and Orion... there is nothing like island life.
    Posted 06-09-2008 at 03:48 PM by Rattlesnake Gal Rattlesnake Gal is offline