PDA

View Full Version : Stripped fiberglass holes.

BroadHopper
05-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I have some canvas snap screws that were stripped from the boat. Someone told me to use adhesive sealant. I put the cockpit cover on and it eventually came out. Does anyone have any idea how to repair the holes?

bigRazor
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
There's tons of information about this online. Here's one link http://www.boat-project.com/tutorials/drill.htm.

Basically you need to drill out the existing hole, fill it with an epoxy filler and then re-drill for the screw. When putting the screw back in, make sure you use 4200 or 5200 sealant.

rick35
05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I use two part epoxy (in a tube) to fill stripped holes and then drill them out before screwing in the new snap. I think sealant is unnecessary. None of my factory snaps were sealed.

jrc
05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I use a paste epoxy like Marine tex. Mix up a little, generously butter the threads and back of the snap. Push the screw in and hold it in with scotch tape. Next day take the tape off and your done. Since your going to mix up too much epoxy, check around for a few more snaps that are loose, fix them at the same time.

Pine Island Guy
05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
i've used the JRC approach with success. Also have pushed some of the epoxy into the hole first which hopefully creates some substance behind the fiberglass to help avoid future "pull through"...

-PIG

BroadHopper
05-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I called up the Marinetex website and there is a how to on stripped screw holes. It is pretty much the same schedule as bigrazor pointed out. Went to West Marine in Portsmouth to pick up the putty. God I have a love hate relationship with the store! It has everything I need and I can not walk out of that store without buying something else!

Thanks for all the tips! ;)

lawn psycho
05-10-2010, 10:13 AM
broadhopper, maybe take some photos of the project and post to the forum?

codeman671
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I was recommended to use 5200 Fast Dry. I am going to try it this weekend. Our new boat arrived from Ohio last week with a number of the screws pulled out. The hauler left the canvas on and wasn't supposed to. I picked up a tube last night.