PDA

View Full Version : Spring surprise

upthesaukee
04-04-2010, 06:51 AM
We are fortunate enough to have a screened porch on the back of the house, off our bedroom, overlooking the brook that flows through our yard. While enjoying the porch and watching TV yesterday afternoon, and the temps in the high 70's, I saw some movement in the woods along the stream. As I directed my attention there, I realized I was looking at an otter. He/she was small and sleek, and crossed the stream (knows where the rocks are:laugh:) and started down the opposite side.
The stream is still running at a decent clip but not the raging stream of last week. It kept looking into little eddies along the side, and then suddenly stopped next to one that was about 2-3 feet in diameter, then jumped into the eddy and came out with a small fish, probably a kibbie.
No time to go get the camera, but sure was interesting to watch.
We used to have otters on the property years ago, and would see them in the winter sliding down the snow on the stream banks onto the ice or into the open water. Haven't seen any in probably 10 years or more, and so my wife and I enjoyed the show, albeit too short.
Hope it comes back.

Just Sold
04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Cool, Thanks - Great story maybe you will get another chance to get a picture.

VitaBene
04-08-2010, 03:39 AM
We are fortunate enough to have a screened porch on the back of the house, off our bedroom, overlooking the brook that flows through our yard. While enjoying the porch and watching TV yesterday afternoon, and the temps in the high 70's, I saw some movement in the woods along the stream. As I directed my attention there, I realized I was looking at an otter. He/she was small and sleek, and crossed the stream (knows where the rocks are:laugh:) and started down the opposite side.
The stream is still running at a decent clip but not the raging stream of last week. It kept looking into little eddies along the side, and then suddenly stopped next to one that was about 2-3 feet in diameter, then jumped into the eddy and came out with a small fish, probably a kibbie.
No time to go get the camera, but sure was interesting to watch.
We used to have otters on the property years ago, and would see them in the winter sliding down the snow on the stream banks onto the ice or into the open water. Haven't seen any in probably 10 years or more, and so my wife and I enjoyed the show, albeit too short.
Hope it comes back.

I saw one in the weeds at teh edge of the Suissevale Lagoon as well last week.