PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Snow Squall

gokart-mozart
01-29-2010, 07:35 AM
I was caught in an amazing snow squall last night.

Driving from Concord to Wolfeboro, it started snowing lightly around 5:30pm.
By 6:00, it was steady and starting to stick to the road. Passing Stockbridge Corner, it really picked up, but as soon as I got to Prospect Mountain High School, I was completely enveloped in white.

I couldn't see ahead or behind, and I couldn't see the side of the road! I actually was stopped, in the road, for 4-5 minutes and then was able to limp to the Alton Circle, using the piled up snow on the shoulder (or what passes for the shoulder there) as a guide.

I'm amazed that there wasn't more accumulation.

Lakegeezer
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Mrs LG was caught in the mini-blizzard on Route 93, between exit 22 and 23 - a lonely stretch. Traffic stopped for a while, then proceeded at 30 MPH. Once to Meredith, she was caught at the Irving/Wining Butcher area as people tried and failed to climb the hill towards Center Harbor. Finally, the police and sanding truck arrived and things cleared up. We got a quick inch or so.

BroadHopper
01-29-2010, 10:02 AM
The wind was whipping around hard. I feel the truck shaking. I and others had to stop as I could not see beyond the wiper blades. Complete white out! Good thing everyone was driving safe. I did not see an accidents.

TOAD
01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Had the same thing down here in West Springfield, MA albeit a little earlier around 4:00 PM. Sky turned dark :eek:, snow coming down so hard you couldn't see 10 feet. :eek: Saw lightening and heard thunder twice. Lasted about 10-12 minutes. Got about 1/2 inch in that short time though.

corollaman
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Glad we have the cold right now, cause if we didn't that system in the mid-atlantic would be giving us another ice storm, and we certainly don't want to re-live that weekend from hell back in December '08! I was without power for 3days! My aunt, for 11 days! The snow would've hit us too, as well as the ice had that arctic front didn't come down from Canada. I'll take snow over ice though! Ice is just a whole nother problem!

Barndoor Bob
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
That was some crazy weather Friday afternoon ! It took use 2 attempts to get to Barndoor Island ! Does anyone know the wind speed ? We were guessing 50-60 MPH.