PDA

View Full Version : Skimming

Webbsatwinni
01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
We were at the lake Sunday and stopped by Alton bay to check out the ice and while there, we witnessed a skimmer first hand. They skimmed the open water near the public beach. I thought the technique would be to speed up to it and stay on the gas and lean back. This one pulled up slowly and them took off and went through a lot slower than I would have thought.

Not that I am trying it, but I was surprised by the technique. It was fun to see a skimmer in their natural habitat.

Resident 2B
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I see them skimming down the whole open length of the Weirs Channel. For most machines it works great as long as they can keep the motor running. However, this is extremely dangerous and not allowed under the law.

R2B

VitaBene
01-21-2010, 03:09 AM
I see them skimming down the whole open length of the Weirs Channel. For most machines it works great as long as they can keep the motor running. However, this is extremely dangerous and not allowed under the law.

R2B

The true issue that I have with skimming is it creates track marks leading into open water. Then at night some poor schmuck comes along thinking he/she is just following the trail home and they are in open water- the more experienced rider stays in the throttle and power through, the less experienced sink and often drown. Sorry to be morbid but I have seen the airboats working the open water at Green's Basin pulling out bodies.

Please be safe out there!

ApS
01-21-2010, 04:59 AM
R2B
1) We are all familiar with "Megan's Law"—initiated due to too-frequent and sometimes fatal abductions.

2) Among recent law-makings, one recent NH law resulted in "Amelia's Law". (Passed due to a sad and avoidable fatality).

3) The skimming ban was long overdue and was finally precipitated by a training fatality for just such a snowmobiler recovery. :(

As an annual reminder for the law's necessity, the law should receive the name of the Laconia (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2861) rescuer who drowned in training against reckless or careless behavior.

JMHO.

Lakegeezer
01-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Sorry to be morbid but I have seen the airboats working the open water at Green's Basin pulling out bodies.

Please be safe out there!This picture, taken at the first entrance to Greens was taken this week. Indeed, watch out when you follow tracks at night.

CHSLTD
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I believe that would be Lt. Miller, Laconia Fire