PDA

View Full Version : Releasing fish.

Jonas Pilot
01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
What are some of the things we can do to try and return caught fish back into the water with as little negative effects as possible?

ishoot308
01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Great Question!!

Barbless hooks in my opinion would be the best start, followed by limited handling of the fish or never allowing it to leave the water unless absolutely necessary when removing hooks. Many times it's the over handling and removal of the natural oil / slime on the side of the fish that kills it.

Dan

TOAD
01-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Great Question!!

Barbless hooks in my opinion would be the best start, followed by limited handling of the fish or never allowing it to leave the water unless absolutely necessary when removing hooks. Many times it's the over handling and removal of the natural oil / slime on the side of the fish that kills it.

Dan

Good advise Shoot! Also the use of rubber nets (if nets are used) is supposed to be less detrimental to the natural slime on the fish.

I usually practice CPR when fishing.....Catch-Picture-Release.

jmen24
01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I agree with Dan, I only use barbless hooks, my family and I do not eat fresh water fish unless on river for more than a day, so keeping is not what we are after, usally just the look on the kids faces when the line goes taught.:D priceless.

Jonas Pilot
01-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Anybody have experience using circle hooks when using live bait?

Rattlesnake Guy
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
We were instructed that if the hook is in the lip you take it out, if it is to far down, leave it in as modern hooks are designed to rust out quickly.

Jonas Pilot
01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
That's why I asked the question about the circle hooks. They are designed to not "hook" until they reach the hard parts of the "lip" where they pivot and penetrate. I have used them for 9 or 10 years and, if you set the hook correctly, hook the fish in the lip almost every time. The key is a slow sweeping hook set rather then the abrupt one you would use for "J" hooks (traditional designed) and artificial lures. They make catch and release a whole lot easier and do much less harm to the fish.

topwater
01-15-2010, 08:49 PM
One other aspect of releasing a fish (Healthy). Is to pay attention to your line. It may sound foolish, but I have seen on MANY occasions, the person who is fishing not paying attention while the line goes tight. Thier talking, looking around, eating, whatever, but while all this is going on, the fish is swallowing your hook deeper and deeper. Some times gut hooking a fish or ripping his ( or hers ) gills will kill them. Just another point to ponder !

Jonas Pilot
01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
That's the only time using a circle hook won't work. When someone waits too long to set the hook. It doesn't matter if you are using live bait or an artificial. If you think you have a bite, set the hook!

Like Topwater says,"You have to watch your line". You will catch many, many more fish if you see the strike before you feel it. If you can feel it chances are the fish might feel it too and "spit the bait".

To me the great part of fishing is that you completely obsorb yourself in a simple task. Casting that lure out and giving your complete attention to the task at hand. Staring at that line and thinking of nothing else, except maybe watching a bird fly by or seeing the mink scurrying along the shoreline.

The angler that can pay attention to their line will catch a lot more fish than their fishing buddies.

Lucky1
01-16-2010, 01:31 PM
What are some of the things we can do to try and return caught fish back into the water with as little negative effects as possible?

I debated if I should respond so please take this lightly. Catch and Release sometimes equals Clean Up the Dead Fish on the beach in front of my house;) There have been some large beauties that might better have been a good meal for someone.

Jonas Pilot
01-16-2010, 01:45 PM
... that is the reason I started this thread. With proper care the vast majority of released fish should survive.

TOAD
01-17-2010, 06:24 AM
Anybody have experience using circle hooks when using live bait?

I've been using circle hook for bait fishing for the last 5 years. I have had very few fish that wind up gut hooked. The advantage to the circle hooks is that you do not have to "set" the hook. The design of the hook allows that with just a little pressure, the hook twists in a way that will almost always hook the mouth of the fish (unless the fish initially inhales the bait deeply). I find the smallmouth bass do have a tendency to "inhale" the smaller length Senko type worms. If you "set" the hook while using a circle hook it will actually reduce your chances of a hook-up....you just start reeling with a circle hook.

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/circle_hooks1.htm

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/lsu/lsug00002.pdf

Lucky1
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
What did anyone make of the comment in the news release cancelling a fishing derby (one of them)that said that salmon that had been previously hooked were smaller and weighed less?

I went and found the link again. It says, "Hook wounded fish are smaller and weigh less." I don't know if that is true but that is the accurate quote. Sorry for any confusion.

TOAD
01-18-2010, 06:55 AM
What did anyone make of the comment in the news release cancelling a fishing derby (one of them)that said that salmon that had been previously hooked were smaller and weighed less?

I went and found the link again. It says, "Hook wounded fish are smaller and weigh less." I don't know if that is true but that is the accurate quote. Sorry for any confusion.

I have never heard of that before but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I have caught fish with up to 3 hooks in them and didn't even take any notice of the fact the injuries might have had an effect on their size. :look:

I "guess" :rolleye1: there have been studies of tagged fish that have and have not been injured or wounded and the injured tagged fish of the same age and release dates are smaller on average that those that have not been hooked or wounded.:confused: It makes sense from a medical standpoint but I would doubt that an actual study like that has been conducted....of course I could be wrong. It could also be just a statement thrown out there with no factual basis to support and agenda or a program. :p

Lucky1
01-18-2010, 08:13 AM
I have never heard of that before but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I have caught fish with up to 3 hooks in them and didn't even take any notice of the fact the injuries might have had an effect on their size. :look:

I "guess" :rolleye1: there have been studies of tagged fish that have and have not been injured or wounded and the injured tagged fish of the same age and release dates are smaller on average that those that have not been hooked or wounded.:confused: It makes sense from a medical standpoint but I would doubt that an actual study like that has been conducted....of course I could be wrong. It could also be just a statement thrown out there with no factual basis to support and agenda or a program. :p

I was thinking that if hook wounded fish are supposedly smaller and weigh less it could be that they are less able to eat as well after they are wounded?

ApS
01-19-2010, 05:34 PM
... that is the reason I started this thread. With proper care the vast majority of released fish should survive.
As an aquarist, I think it's best that releasable fish are not handled at all. With a hooked fish held just above the water, I use a standard Leatherman to grasp the hook's shank.

Keeping in mind that the barb has to leave the fine bones of the mouth undamaged, a small circular flip-action of the wrist will release the fish back to the water. He'll be off in a flash, having spent only seconds out of his element. :cool: The technique works with treble hooks also.

I've had lots of practice, as I've never caught a big fish. :o

TOAD
01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I've had lots of practice, as I've never caught a big fish. :o

It would appear that you are too honest a man to be a good fisherman and catcher of lunkers! :laugh::D

rider
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I swap out the treble hooks for single hooks on all my lures, less snags and I've never missed a strike either.

NBR
02-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm with Toad on this one. Barbless or pinched down barbs and using a rubber net are good starts. Hooks take an incredibly lomg time to rust out particuarly in fresh water. There is a gadget if I remember right called a
"Bar-Bit" that will cut the hook in two and it has a magnet to pull out the pieces. Also In-Fishernman magazine has a hook removal system that works well.

Circle hooks work almost 100% of the time. They are great with live bait and do well with some artificial baits. I use them with some plastic worm and lizard applications. In cases where you can use circle hooks the only drawback I have found is remembering that you have a circle hook on the line and not to set the hook but just tighten up on the line.

ApS
02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
I've had lots of practice, as I've never caught a big fish.

It would appear that you are too honest a man to be a good fisherman and catcher of lunkers! :laugh::D
You should've seen the ones that got away! :D