PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Trail/Location around Winni

onlywinni
11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Lets hear where your favorite place to sled around Winni is

I have spent over 10 years up there on the water and this winter we are going to play with the sleds up there as well

boat_guy64
11-03-2009, 07:33 PM
onlywinni,

There are so many but we have a few favorites. Our house is in Meredith and we have the luxury of getting on the railroad trail from our house. So everything we do starts in Meredith.

We have a favorite 4 lake ride.

Start in Meredith and go down through the Weirs. Before you get to South Downs, take a right onto Wools trail, follow the trail and do the prison loop and take a ride on Winnisquam. Get back on the trail, finsih the prison loop and get back to Paugus Bay and across over to HK powersports. From there, follow the trail down to Patricks Pub and onto Winnie. Go around Govenor's island, past eagle island and towards the right of the Weirs and get back on the railroad trail. Follow the railroad, up to Waukewan and across it and back on the railroad trail. Follow to Ashland and take trail 24 and follow the signs to Newfound lake. Take a ride on Newfound, get back on the trail and fill up with gas and get a snack at the newfound grocery. Take the 25 mile trip back to Meredith. You've just been on four lakes. It's now time for a nap for those of us over 40.

Our favorite riding is really on trail 24 on Bridgewater, Newfound and the ride up to Rumney and over to Plymouth. There are many, many trails over there and they do a great job on them.

This year we'll discover the Ossipee valley trails and we are planning a trip to Maine in February if the snow is good.

I also have a blog that detailed many of our rides from last year with my friend, my son and myself on the blog section of this site. It may give you more ideas.

This will be our 3rd year sledding and we are really hooked. It only took 4 weeks before I bought the second sled for my son and we made this a family sport.

Good luck with your sled and be safe.

onlywinni
11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks boatguy64..that sounds like a great ride

WINNOCTURN
11-17-2009, 02:13 PM
onlywinni,

Here are some rides we will be doing this season.

Saturday Rides
Vic & Steve will leave the Village Kitchen after breakfast every Saturday trail conditions allow. They usually stop for a quick lunch and return by 5PM.
There will be two large rides: one to Gorham via Trail 19 returning by Lincoln, NH. One to Bethlehem, then Littleton for lunch & returning Trail 5 to Rumney & home via rail bed, Another will be around the lake via Wakefield, New Durham & Gilford

Club Slow Rides
We will be scheduling several Club rides for those not that familiar with our local trails. These rides will be at a leisurely pace.
Check out our Website for the latest information on Club Events and Trail Conditions. www.moultonborosmc.org

Shedwannabe
11-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I think we speak a different language.

When I saw the question "Where to sled?" I thought you meant sledding, as in going in a sled down a hill, and walk back up again. Anyone got any suggestions for a place to go (old-fashioned) sledding where I won't run into skiers, dogsleds or snowmobiles?...i.e. - a quiet place without earsplitting noise to enjoy te simple joys of being out in nature?

hilltopper
11-17-2009, 03:36 PM

When I saw the question "Where to sled?" I thought you meant sledding, as in going in a sled down a hill, and walk back up again. Anyone got any suggestions for a place to go (old-fashioned) sledding where I won't run into skiers, dogsleds or snowmobiles?...i.e. - a quiet place without earsplitting noise to enjoy te simple joys of being out in nature?

Nothing like crapping on snowmobiles in the SNOWMOBILING forum. When the word sledding is mentioned in a snowmobiling forum, it means snowmobiling, but I think you probably knew that. You just saw a good opportunity to get a jab in, right? :rolleye1: At least when FLL craps on us, he doesn't do it in our own, dedicated forum...

Ryan
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for a place to go (old-fashioned) sledding where I won't run into skiers, dogsleds or snowmobiles?...i.e. - a quiet place without earsplitting noise to enjoy te simple joys of being out in nature?

Try Vermont.

Shedwannabe
11-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Actually, no, I didn't know sledding referred to snowmobiling...nor do I understand why it would be apparent.

[Later edit: Ah... I see that this IS a snowmobiling forum. I didn't realize that - I clicked on it in the "All Today's Posts" and didn't notice that it was about snowmobiling - I clicked on it because of the title of the forum. I had no idea why the hostility was coming at me, but I see that you felt it was YOUR forum.]

[Even later edit: I hardly ever notice the "Forum" a thread is in, as I go to "New Posts" to see what is new, not to a particular forum, and have never really paid attention to the column at the right that lists the forum. So no, I was unaware I had landed in a nest of snowmobilers.]

However, I did learn that some snowmobilers do not seem to care about or respect anyone who is not one of their group...and the more I read of the attitude snowmobilers have, the gladder I am not to be one.

What I don't get is why you hate people who like nature so much? I don't know of anyone trying to sabotage snowmobiliers having their fun, but every time I've seen a post from someone (and now from me) about enjoying ourselves in the beauty and quiet of nature without snowmobilers, there is a hostile reaction.

chipj29
11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Actually, no, I didn't know sledding referred to snowmobiling...nor do I understand why it would be apparent.

[Later edit: Ah... I see that this IS a snowmobiling forum. I didn't realize that - I clicked on it in the "All Today's Posts" and didn't notice that it was about snowmobiling - I clicked on it because of the title of the forum. I had no idea why the hostility was coming at me, but I see that you felt it was YOUR forum.]

However, I did learn that some snowmobilers do not seem to care about or respect anyone who is not one of their group...and the more I read of the attitude snowmobilers have, the gladder I am not to be one.

What I don't get is why you hate people who like nature so much? I don't know of anyone trying to sabotage snowmobiliers having their fun, but every time I've seen a post from someone (and now from me) about enjoying ourselves in the beauty and quiet of nature without snowmobilers, there is a hostile reaction.
Perhaps this would explain it. As someone has stated, you posted it in a Snowmobiling sub-forum.

For the record, most responsible snowmobilers have no problem whatsoever with sharing trails with non-motorized users. In fact, most trail systems have been built and are maintained by snowmobilers. In these cases, without snowmobilers, there would be no trails for you to be enjoying.
Now I am not suggesting that you should be thanking the snowmobilers. I am however suggesting that this is a two-way street that is traveled by both motorized and non-motorized users.

hilltopper
11-18-2009, 09:12 AM

No matter what "group" you are talking about (snowmobilers, x-country skiiers, joggers, motorcyclists) you will always find some that are disrespectful.

I have no idea how you concluded that I hate people who hate nature? I hike and canoe in the Summer and ski in the Winter. That's right, I enjoy hobbies that don't include "earsplitting noise" AND I enjoy snowmobiling. And guess what? I bet I'm not alone in that respect. Why do you feel the need to differntiate? We're all just folks who enjoy the outdoors.

I sensed you were trolling in the Snowmobile forum. If not, I apologize.

Irrigation Guy
12-02-2009, 09:00 AM

Here is why: Your comment about earsplitting is a jab. There are many snowmobiles that are quiet, just as there are boats, motorcycles, and cars.

Why is it you cannot understand this would be taken as offensive, which undoubtedly as it was intended?

trfour
12-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Lets hear where your favorite place to sled around Winni is

I have spent over 10 years up there on the water and this winter we are going to play with the sleds up there as well

"All!"... When the Lake is frozen safe to ride on and we have the snow for easy trail maintainance, you couldn't find a more enjoyable area!

The wonderful vistas on the Lake, and on up into the sorounding mountains are second to none, with great destinations, food and lodging for day trips and beyond!

Stay safe, and Happy Sledding.
Terry