PDA

View Full Version : What's this fish?

Jonas Pilot
08-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Any body know what this fish is called? Why do you think so? How about some of it's regional names?

topwater
08-26-2009, 09:06 PM
That appears to be a Crappie, they have been in Winni for quite some time now, they are also in quite a few of the local ponds in the area, they have a very soft mouth and the bigger ones can put up quite a good fight. When I say bigger, some can get upwards of 2 lbs or so. Some say very good eating, but I do not eat anything I catch, strictly catch and release for me. I have caught them up in Lee's Mill 3-4 years ago.

Argie's Wife
08-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Clean it and bring it over - I'd call it DINNER!

Methinks it's a large mouth bass??? (Seriously walking out on a limb here - I don't fish as much as I'd liked to or used to and generally get perch, anyhow!)

TOAD
08-27-2009, 06:35 AM
CRAPPIE / Calico Bass / Paperlibs / Strawberry Bass / Tin Perch / Lamplighters. I call them Crappy but they are good eating.

hoopdawg
08-27-2009, 07:52 AM
This is what your fish is

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/hoopdawg61/BlackCrappie.gif

Features: Black crappie are silvery in color with numerous black or dark green blotches and no distinct vertical bars. This results in a darker overall color than seen in white crappie. The forehead is dished, but not as much as in the white crappie. The dorsal fin usually has seven or eight spines and its length is equal to or greater than the distance between the dorsal fin
and eye.

Habitat: Black crappie do best in clear waters of medium-sized lakes, reservoirs and large slow moving streams. They are less tolerant of flowing and muddy water than white crappie and more associated with aquatic vegetation.

Black crappie begin life feeding primarily on zooplankton. As they grow they begin taking increasingly larger percentages of insects, other larger invertebrates and small fish.

Technique: Crappie fishing is best during the cool weather of early spring when they inhabit the shallow ends of coves, and also in the fall. At these times, crappie congregate in loose schools around sunken logs or brushy cover or just beyond the weeds in water 6 to 15 feet deep. As with sunfish, the hardest part of catching crappie is finding the schools. Best fishing is during the early morning or in the evening when they often feed on the surface. During the winter crappies often move to deeper water along vertical structure such as pilings or dams. Begin by fishing near likely looking cover or structure at different depths until you find a school. A bobber and jig rig is the favored setup. Crickets, grasshoppers, and worms rigged the same way on a size 10 or 12 bait hook are also effective. Experienced anglers often fish jigs without a bobber, but a bobber rig will prevent many hang-ups. For jigs, the “smaller-the-better” seems to be the rule, with some experienced anglers using jigs as small as 1/80th ounce. Jigs come in many colors, but red and white, green and white, and chartreuse are popular. Light monofilament line of 4 to 6 pound test is necessary to achieve a lifelike action in these lures. Jig hooks may also be tipped with a crappie “nibble” to give them scent.

as the plate says on my truck
GO&FISH

Jonas Pilot
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
When I was a kid in Connecticut we called them "paper mouths" due to the thin skin around the mouth. If I remember right the adults called them "calico bass". One of my favorite nicknames is from the Cajuns of Louisiana, They like to call it "sac-a-lait" (Cajun-French for "bag of milk") for the succulent white flesh. When you say it make sure you use your best Justin Wilson accent (the Cajun Chef) and raise your eyebrows on the first and third syllables.

Nadia
09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Definately a crappie. DH loves crappie fishing.

glennsteely
08-14-2014, 02:43 AM
....white pearch.

8gv
08-14-2014, 08:30 AM
In FL they call them "speck".

Winnilifer
08-14-2014, 08:58 AM
....white pearch.

I catch what I call White perch while salmon and trout fishing, they don't look like that. Same shape, little bigger and no black coloring.:confused:

I have not caught a crappie so maybe I'm wrong.

Flyfisha
08-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Definitely crappie!! Good eating! Where did you catch him? I travel to Lee's after them.

dt5150
08-18-2014, 10:11 AM
yup, it's a crappie. some of the best eating freshwater fish there is.

Broken Glass
08-18-2014, 10:58 AM
I caught one of those on Sunday morning trolling at 45'. The fish was about 8-9" long and it put up a great fight for about five seconds then it ran out of gas. I was not sure what kind it was but suspected it may be a Crappie. Released to find another day. I also caught two nice 21" Salmon the same day. Fishing has been great. I bought a house on Rattlesnake in early July and I really love waking up starting the little motor and dropping the lines. Life is good.

Dan on "Good Stuff"