PDA

View Full Version : New Family Member

DRH
08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Quilt Lady and I got a new kitten last week. He came north from a shelter in Bourbon County, KY. He's a little 10 - 12 week old red/orange guy named "Rusty", and he's got a big personality and a big purr.

Here's a shot I took of Rusty yesterday:

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Rusty_081809.jpg

SteveA
08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Great looking little guy! Does he meow with a southern accent?

If I do the math right... you're only 6 behind us! ;)

But you lead in dogs 1 to 0 :eek:

trfour
08-19-2009, 11:28 PM
And a very lucky cat!
Accent? Your from Boston?.. No, I'm from NH, are you from Texas? No, I'm from NH. What are you going to do this winter? I'm going to tune into www.winnipesaukee.com (http://www.winnipesaukee.com) . COOL! :D

eillac@dow
08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Rusty is awfully cute. Best wishes with him! :)

SIKSUKR
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Those eyes could melt a glacier y'all.

GrandmaBig6
08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Never liked cats, but now we have three cats and couldn't imagine ever not having cats before.

Our cats names are Leni, Squiggy and Chloe. All get along with the dog and we are brining the dog and Leni to NH on Saturday.

The other two don't travel well in the car so we have someone taking care of them for us.

Thanks for sharing Rusty with us. (My niece has a Rusty too and he looks just like yours).

Mary

Ropetow
08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Quilt Lady and I got a new kitten last week. He came north from a shelter in Bourbon County, KY. He's a little 10 - 12 week old red/orange guy named "Rusty", and he's got a big personality and a big purr.

And, from the looks of things, a Big potential for shedding! But shouldn't everyone wear cat fur?

ILoveWinnipesaukee
08-20-2009, 12:32 PM
And, from the looks of things, a Big potential for shedding! But shouldn't everyone wear cat fur?

I have a T-Shirt that says "No outfit is complete without cat hair" Could not live without my "kids" I have 6 of the feline variety and one of the canine variety and the cats sleep with the black lab on his orthopedic bed.

donnamatrix
08-20-2009, 01:51 PM
OMG. He's so handsome... do you know that all striped cats have an M on their forehead?? This little guy looks like the cat in the book "Dewey" - a terrific tale of a library cat. We have two Siamese (sealpoint & bluepoint) that rule the house with an iron paw. Once you have a Siamese, you will always have one, they are amazingly smart critters and extremely affectionate. If I could figure out how to upload their photo I would do it, but can't figure it out.. Help!

PennyPenny
08-20-2009, 08:11 PM

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Rusty_081809.jpg

I love kittens/cats. My grandparents had 2 rust colored tigers named Rusty and Rascal. They both outlived the grandparents. Enjoy him.

tis
08-21-2009, 06:53 AM
He is too cute!! How can anyone not love a little kitten? We had two Maine coon cats once that looked a lot like him.

twoplustwo
08-23-2009, 08:54 AM
What a sweet baby!!:)

Jonas Pilot
08-27-2009, 07:31 PM
This is Pokey. You better stay away from her food!

Pineedles
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
And Pokey better not get used to eating up there if that stove is used in the winter, or she'll be a cat on a hot iron stove.

donnamatrix
09-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Can't figure out why I can't get this work! I attached the file

Quilt Lady
09-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Donnamatrix, your kitties are wonderful. They look so much like my beloved Coco (seal point) and our first Siamese, Buffy Foonman (blue point). They lived to ripe old ages, many years ago.

You are right, once you have a Siamese, you will never be without one. Our third cat is a flame-point Siamese. The kitten is showing signs of a Siamese in his background. He is long and lean with long legs, especially the back legs. His head is wedgier than a domestic cat and he talks a lot. He chirps, squeaks, purrs and meows in all sorts of patterns to let us know what he wants (mainly food). Rusty is the smartest red cat we have had . . . but then that's not saying much. Red cats make good doorstops. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

MEEZERS RULE!!!!!

LovelyToSeeYou
09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
I move around too much with a 93 year old Mom in VA and kids and grandkids in CA and going to the warm weather etc. I lost my 18 year old Siamese in April of 2006. I had another Siamese before that one, but this last one bonded with me as the kids were grown. I really miss having a cat but plan to be able to have one again when I am only in the north. The children's father is dead and I raised them alone. So a cat is good company!! Can't wait to be able to have another. Siamese seem to smart too. Mine would retrieve and play hide and seek etc. I am happy for all of you that have a pet and thanks for the pictures as they are lovely.

Hermit Cover
09-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Don and QL....great kitty! Kentucky is famous for CATS...but they are called The Kentucky Wildcats...and they are located in Lexington. Kentucky also is famous for Bourbon, and they say "beautiful horses and fast women"or something like that. Being a native Kentuckian I can assure you that if you play some nice bluegrass music in the background your kitty will smile! Heading to Central Kentucky this weekend for my high school reunion.....Congrats on your cute new addition....a purrrfect pet!:)

donnamatrix
10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey: I am an ambassador for Maker's Mark and have a barrel down there with my name on it. They make the best bourbon - or sipping whisky as my Grandmother used to call it. Yum

trfour
10-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Good thing to know in these times. Kittens know when they have a good home! ' And Winnipesaukee Cats Got It Maid!' :)

Greene's Basin Girl
10-27-2009, 11:27 AM

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Rusty_081809.jpg Does Rusty have a brother? My sister has wanted a male kitten that looks like that for a long time.

DRH
10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Does Rusty have a brother? My sister has wanted a male kitten that looks like that for a long time.

We found Rusty by scanning the web sites of the shelters in our area. Most of them post photos of their cats who are available for adoption. I'd suggest your sister do a Google search of the shelters in her area and scan their web sites. Hopefully she'll find a little guy like Rusty.

winni wanderer
10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Just put my 23 year old down after seeing all the warm fuzzy faces I realized
how much I need another lap warmer (exsp with winter coming)
Rusty is a beauty thanks, ww otherhalf :)

DRH
11-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Rusty's now 6 months old and he's grown like a weed. He's a playful little devil, as most kittens are, and he loves to drink water from a faucet. I took this picture of him yesterday morning.

http://echoshores.com/Photos/RustyDrinking_112209.jpg

Yosemite Sam
11-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Rusty's now 6 months old and he's grown like a weed. He's a playful little devil, as most kittens are, and he loves to drink water from a faucet. I took this picture of him yesterday morning.

Neat picture!

You must have a camera with you most of the time to get a picture of your cat drinking out of a faucet like that.

SIKSUKR
11-23-2009, 09:13 AM

Great photo DRH but how did you train him to turn the water on to a slow flow?:laugh:Soon he'll be drinking those k-cups!

Quilt Lady
11-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Soon he'll be drinking those k-cups!
Just what I need . . . a full-tilt, warp drive kitty with a caffeine buzz!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

SteveA
11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Just what I need . . . a full-tilt, warp drive kitty with a caffeine buzz!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ya... you better stock up on some DeCaf K-Cups. :laugh:

Janet
11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
My tabby, Jack, does the same thing as Rusty. As soon as I come in the front door, Jack is on the bathroom vanity waiting for his drink. He also loves playing in a little water in the tub. I thought cats were afraid of water - not my Jack! His sister Maggie wants nothing to do with water.

SteveA
11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
This is a nice "why does my cat... ??" site.

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/whycat.htm

Interesting, I always wondered about the "little bites" several of our cats will give us when we're patting them.

As far as the running water, we have several cats that insisted on drinking at the sink. We solved it with this,

We got it online for about $50. They all love it and are all drinking a lot more water, and that is a good thing.

Made by an company called DrinkWell.

webmaster
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Sorry to revive this 2 year old thread but when I read this article I thought of the picture of Rusty drinking from the faucet. Turns out a cat's ability to drink is really quite interesting:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/green/greenblog/2010/11/mit_researchers_unravel_the_ph.html

trfour
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
And they hardly ever need any practice! :)

Terry