PDA

View Full Version : back in the olden days

Nagigator
08-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Way back in the early 80's before cell phones, my husband and I would keep in touch with his sister on Cow Island, at our camper on Moultonboro Neck Rd by CB radio. We had the pleasure of talking with a character who called himself "Donald Duck". He would give weather alerts, and other general information about the Lake, and talk about his wife "Daffy". I believe that was her name. Anyone else remember this gentleman? It was always so much fun to talk to him. I was wondering if he was still around. Good old days at the KOA.

Rattlesnake Guy
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I bet it was Boston's first TV weather man, Don Kent.

Nagigator
08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I seem to remember that he was blind.

fatlazyless
08-11-2009, 08:37 PM
After many years of being totally blind, I recall he regained his sight maybe 1-2 years ago through retina transplants or some such medical miracle.:eek:

CrawfordCentury
08-11-2009, 08:58 PM
After many years of being totally blind, I recall he regained his sight maybe 1-2 years ago through retina transplants or some such medical miracle.:eek:

I met Don Kent maybe 4 years ago at the Lane Tavern museum, which is the HQ of the Sanbornton Historical Society. I meet a fair number of celebs, but I think I gushed a bit when I put 2 and 2 together. (He introduced himself merely as Don. But those eyebrows are...well, lets just say if you looked up 'inimitable' in the dictionary, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pic of them!).

Why the out-of-character celeb. moment for me? I grew up loving maps. My favorite book in elementary school was the atlas. It all stemmed from watching his weather reports in the 1970s. Good memories, them there are.

Anyhow, he was fully sighted then.

fatlazyless
08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
It's two different people, Don Kent and the local radio voice who calls himself 'Donald Duck whose real name I do not recall. The Union Leader had a story maybe 1-2 years ago about his regaining his sight after many years of blindness.

Skipper of the Sea Que
08-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Way back in the early 80's before cell phones, my husband and I would keep in touch with his sister on Cow Island, at our camper on Moultonboro Neck Rd by CB radio. We had the pleasure of talking with a character who called himself "Donald Duck". .

I think you are talking about Bill Whall, aka Might Moe II.
I haven't been to the Lake this season so I haven't heard him "on-the-air" but he was around last summer monitoring Marine Ch 16. He performs a great service to boaters and the the Lake community.

For the Citizen article about regaining his sight click HERE (http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071223/GJNEWS02/552431221/-1/CITIZEN).

Nagigator
08-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Wow! What a terrific story. I love a happy ending! Thanks to you all for the info. I will have find a marine radio, and see if I can hear him again. The CB is loooong gone. and there isn't one on the boat I passenger on.

Rattlesnake Guy
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I remember the story now. The classic line when he regained his sight after all those years was. "hey, you never told me the dog was white!".

Nice to see your post skipper.:)