PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes and the Lakes Region

dpg
08-10-2009, 06:25 AM
I heard one time a quiet Hurricane season down south usually translates to a pretty uneventful winter in New England, with less snow fall amounts. There hasn't been much talk of any disturbances as of yet. Might it be a mild winter??

meteotrade
08-10-2009, 11:02 AM
The correlation is probably tied to El Nino. El Nino patterns correlate to below normal Atlantic tropical activity and also mild, snowless New England winters. This is true mainly with strong El Nino's; Weak El Nino's tend to result in above normal snowfall. So as long as the current El Nino remains weak we are probably OK. If it strengthens any more, winter could be in trouble.

SIKSUKR
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Hurricane season is really just begining.

Resident 2B
08-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Hurricane season is really just begining.

It is looking like we will have our first named storm in the next two days. Not to worry, it is not far from the coast of Africa. But they have to start somewhere.

As Siksukr pointed out, the season gets going this time of the year.

As far as winter long range forecasts, as meteotrade stated, it is more about the sea surface temps in the Pacific, El Nino (warm) or La Nina (cold) and the degree of El Nino or La Nina, that impacts our winter weather. It also has an effect on tropical weather, so there could be a slight indirect relationship between tropical activity and our winters. The direct relationship is from the Pacific. Hard to believe, but fairly accurate over time.

Looks like a great weekend ahead. Enjoy it while it is here! :)

R2B

VtSteve
08-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Looks like the Cat 4 storm is pretty strong. The latest report I read said it would pass just to the East of Cape Cod, with wide-ranging strong winds. Will this impact my golf game near Laconia Saturday :confused: I'm too scared to think of my long-planned concert at Meadowbrook Saturday night. Good thing I didn't choose the covered seats with bar service :(

chipj29
08-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Looks like the Cat 4 storm is pretty strong. The latest report I read said it would pass just to the East of Cape Cod, with wide-ranging strong winds. Will this impact my golf game near Laconia Saturday :confused: I'm too scared to think of my long-planned concert at Meadowbrook Saturday night. Good thing I didn't choose the covered seats with bar service :(

You will be fine both golfing and at the concert. If we get any wind, it will be just breezy, not all that windy. I don't think we will get a drop of rain from Bill, he should pass well east of Cape Cod.

SIKSUKR
08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Sorry about the storm steve.This one is named after me.No,not hurricane siksukr!Latest forecast is for Sik...eerr Bill to stay 150-200 miles offshore.Should be some great swells for surfing.