PDA

View Full Version : New Web Cam!

Just Sold
06-18-2009, 10:21 AM
New IP camera for home & pet monitoring with color night vision. It's cell phone enabled so you can get steaming video on your cell from your cottage!

http://www.sharxsecurity.com/products.html#pet

brk-lnt
06-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Almost any camera that outputs an MJPEG stream option can be viewed on a media-enabled cell phone.

This camera is kind of interesting, but really nothing special.

BrownEyedGirl
06-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Almost any camera that outputs an MJPEG stream option can be viewed on a media-enabled cell phone.

This camera is kind of interesting, but really nothing special.

I agree. I have several of these types of cameras, not the brand but all the same features for about half the price. They are very helpful no doubt.

garysanfran
07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Can anyone recommend a web cam I can install to monitor my cabin?

I'd like to watch the rain when I'm away.

Ideally I'd like one outdoor and one indoor cam. I will not have a seperate computer but do have DSL connection indoors. I guess this means the outdoor cam would have to be wireless?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

brk-lnt
07-29-2009, 12:35 PM

Ideally I'd like one outdoor and one indoor cam. I will not have a seperate computer but do have DSL connection indoors. I guess this means the outdoor cam would have to be wireless?

Or, you'd have to drag a network cable over to the camera, not really a difficult task.

What is your budget for these cams?

Do you care about night time performance, or just day time?

Do you want to record the video, or just have it available to watch at random times?

garysanfran
07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't really have a budget.

I'd like to be able to monitor two cams from a PC anywhere. As I said, outdoor and one indoor (with the possibility of adding 1-2 more indoors).

Doesn't have to be color (would be nice though). Doesn't have to be night-vision (would be nice also). It would also be nice to pivot and tilt one of the indoor cams. The only reason I would use night vision, is if it could capture wildlife (size?) with motion control. Seeing black bear would be a thrill!

Would I direct-cable the indoor cam to the modem/router? And is the outdoor cam much more expensive if wireless?

Thanks again.

Bear Islander
08-02-2009, 05:43 PM

Ideally I'd like one outdoor and one indoor cam. I will not have a separate computer but do have DSL connection indoors. I guess this means the outdoor cam would have to be wireless?

The link is to a webpage I wrote about setting up a webcam.

http://www.bearcam1.com/cam_info.htm

Even a "wireless" camera requires a wire for power. I think its easier and simpler to run an internet cable and forget the wireless cams. I think the best way to do an "outdoor" camera is to put it inside a window looking out. That way you don't have to worry about rain, bugs etc.. If you want the camera to look back at your home that is another story.

If you have more than one cam in a location run one internet cable and use a multi-port "switch" to put all the cams on one cable to your modem/router.