PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Roberts

Lucky2Bhere
06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
We just climbed Mt Roberts on Saturday. This is possibly the best trail we have done in the lakes region. It has gorgeous lake views on the ascending ridge and a white mountain view at the summit. Mount Washington loomed large and clear as a bell. The climb is 2.5 miles from parking lot at the top of Ossipee Park Rd. Difficulty is easy/moderate. Plan for 3.5-4 hr round trip including time to enjoy the views.

The Bald Knob trail from the upper parking lot is also great and shorter/easier.

DRH
06-10-2009, 06:59 AM
We just climbed Mt Roberts on Saturday. This is possibly the best trail we have done in the lakes region. It has gorgeous lake views on the ascending ridge and a white mountain view at the summit. Mount Washington loomed large and clear as a bell. The climb is 2.5 miles from parking lot at the top of Ossipee Park Rd. Difficulty is easy/moderate. Plan for 3.5-4 hr round trip including time to enjoy the views.

The Bald Knob trail from the upper parking lot is also great and shorter/easier.Our neighborhood hiking group climbed Mt. Roberts last month, but the day we climbed was hazy so we didn't enjoy the clear views you did. Still, it was a good hike. There are a number of excellent trails on the Castle grounds. We're planning to hike up Mt. Shaw next week pending good weather.

Shreddy
06-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Do you guys find yourself fighting ticks much when hiking up in those areas? I used to work at the water bottling plant right there. The two times I stepped off in the grass for a couple of seconds I had a tick on me.

DRH
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Do you guys find yourself fighting ticks much when hiking up in those areas? I used to work at the water bottling plant right there. The two times I stepped off in the grass for a couple of seconds I had a tick on me.Yes, ticks are fierce in the tall grass in that area. Our hiking group hiked the "Brook Walk" and "Shannon Brook Trail" a few weeks ago and one of our members found 5 ticks on her socks when we finished the hike. Another member of our group found a tick attached to his belly when he got back home. So all hikers in that area should be very alert to the abundance of ticks and check themselves frequently during and after all hikes. I'd advise every hiker to use a good insect repellent.

Shreddy
06-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Yes, ticks are fierce in the tall grass in that area. Our hiking group hiked the "Brook Walk" and "Shannon Brook Trail" a few weeks ago and one of our members found 5 ticks on her socks when we finished the hike. Another member of our group found a tick attached to his belly when he got back home. So all hikers in that area should be very alert to the abundance of ticks and check themselves frequently during and after all hikes. I'd advise every hiker to use a good insect repellent.

Thanks! I just wanted to clarify because I know that area can get extremely intense with the ticks, but yes, extremely nice hike as well.

dewitt
06-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Don't mean to hijack this blog. I guess i am though does anyone know if devil's den is still around I heard it might not be there anymore.

Slickcraft
06-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Don't mean to hijack this blog. I guess i am though does anyone know if devil's den is still around I heard it might not be there anymore.

See http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3772&highlight=devil%27s

DRH
06-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Don't mean to hijack this blog. I guess i am though does anyone know if devil's den is still around I heard it might not be there anymore.Interesting that you should ask that question at this time because our hiking group just went there yesterday. We were able to get to the peak of Devil's Den Mountain with no problem, but we then hiked around for about an hour trying to find the actual "den" and couldn't locate it. It's still there, but we just couldn't find it. We plan to go back sometime and look again.

ApS
09-06-2009, 03:23 AM
"...There are a number of excellent trails on the Castle grounds. We're planning to hike up Mt. Shaw next week pending good weather..."
Not quite halfway up Mt. Shaw is an easy "walk in the woods": It gets a bit rockier past that point.

With the trees just starting to turn color now, I'd wait until October, when strong winds will keep the temperature (and any bugs) down.

While researching some Mt. Shaw links, I found some photos of that hike, with some hints that should improve your hiking experience:
http://www.wanderingfools.com/album/Shaw/shaw.html

All of the details in the above photographs—flora or fauna—were new to me, so every hike on Mt. Shaw must be a different experience: One of mine certainly was:

A party of hikers walked out of the woods onto my well-marked Mt. Shaw trail—coming onto it at a 90° angle—and asked me how to find "Bald Knob". :confused: They were at least a mile from "Bald Knob", and were coming from that direction! :blush: :o

BTW: I'm still looking for a mysterious missing relic, missing monument, Mt. Shaw link that popped up only once at a Google-Earth map! :confused: :mad: :rolleye1: