PDA

View Full Version : Which side of that black over white buoy?

ITD
07-13-2004, 11:33 AM
For the fourth time in July I’ve directed boats to the correct side of the Black over white buoys at the entrance of Center Harbor. Each time it was a boat headed toward Center Harbor with at least 2 or 3 little kids in it going at least 25 mph. Today the guy was lined up exactly on the mid point between Mile Island and the buoys. I was coming out of the Center Harbor on my jet ski. Each time I’ve stopped and waved them down and then pointed out the correct side of the marker. They all seemed grateful, but I have to wonder why someone would venture onto a lake like Winnipesaukee without a chart and a basic understanding of how to navigate? Especially with their kids in the boat.

Last year a guy came blasting out of Center Harbor, again with wife and little kids in the boat, between the little island north of marker 5 and First Neck, I couldn’t stop him until after he was through. I told him he was lucky to have made it through and asked him why he didn’t go through the marked channel? He thanked me, told me he had just lost a prop the day before at Winnisquam. He said he saw the markers but figured it was safer to stay away from them. He sat in the same spot for a half an hour after I left him, I assume trying to get his wife to speak to him again.

PHDIII
07-13-2004, 08:39 PM
As I recall, there is at least 1 rock sitting above the surface off 1 mile Is. West of the 2 Black markers. You would think a boater unfamiliar with the area would stay away from visible rocks.
As soon as I pass Becky's Garden I put my eyes on the small Island where the markers are located and I don't take them off until I spot the 2 Blacks and the Red.
Best advice is right on the Bizer Chart...think BEN. Black-stay East or North--B-E-N.
Maybe this simple reminder should be posted at the boat launches--but then people would have to know their directions...too much to hope for.

hazelnut
07-14-2004, 07:02 AM
After 11 Days on the Island I watched several boaters pass between the Barbers Pole and the Nav Buoy and its Companion across from me. Most of the time it was a bowrider (not bashing bowriders I own one) with a family on board. Also most of the time these individuals who were unsure of their actions had come off plain and were plowing bow up rear end way down. Why would someone who does not know where they are make matters even worse by dragging the rear of their boat deeper into unfamiliar waters? Only one of these people hit a rock and when they did they just stopped for 15 seconds and then continued on their way as if nothing happened. To be fair the Barbers Pole is a bit confusing considering it is not a navigational aide at all. However all you have to do is pull out the Bizer chart and it clearly states which side to pass on the nav buoys near by.