PDA

View Full Version : Moultonboro SMC Trail Conditions

WINNOCTURN
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
January 23rd

The Groomers have been out the last two nights and will be out again tonight. So conditions will be at their best for the weekend. All trials are listed as being in "GOOD" condition. Be careful in some spots as they may be icy. The Lake is being ridden, but all ways use caution when ridding any body of water.

Moultonboro SMC Trail conditions:
http://www.moultonborosmc.org/Local%20Trail_conditions.htm

WINNOCTURN

WINNOCTURN
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
For those of you who ride the Sandwich Notch Trails, the trail that runs from the Notch (Guinea Pond Trail) to the Ossipee Valley SC Trials (Whiteface Trial) was re-opened yesterday. The Ossipee section of the trial has been groomed. Not sure of what condition the Sandwich side of the trail is in at this time.
You can check for trial conditions at these two sites:
Ossipee
http://www.ossipeevalleysnowmobileclub.com/trailconditions1.htm
Sandwich
http://www.sandwichsidehillers.com/

Also there was a “WATER” problem on the Wolfeboro trial heading south from the Castle that has taken care of by the Bureau of Trails.

VitaBene
01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
George, As always I thank you.

The trails are in great shape considering we have had no appreciable snow in a week or so- kudos to the groomers. I thanked them on the Red Hill trail on Saturday.

The new Tucker looks great out there!

WINNOCTURN
01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Vita,

Let’s hope we get some thing from the Storm they are talking about Tuesday night into Wednesday. The snow has been "worked" so mutch it does not hold together for long after grooming.

WINNOCTURN

hilltopper
01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Great job by the club hitting the north end of Meredith (trail 15) last night before the storm (pretty sure MSMC "owns" this section now). Laid out a tantilizing white carpet. After some sleds packing the trail post-storm and another grooming, it should be mint!

Seeing signs of a warmup around derby time. Let's hope the trails can withstand it. Actually, let's hope it doesn't even materialize!

hazelnut
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Not too bad I think we should be ok:)

Thu
Jan 29 Partly Cloudy 28°/5° 10 %
Fri
Jan 30 Few Snow Showers 29°/9° 30 %
Sat
Jan 31 Partly Cloudy 26°/4° 10 %
Sun
Feb 01 Sunny 31°/18° 0 %
Mon
Feb 02 Mostly Cloudy 36°/27° 10 %
Tue
Feb 03 Rain / Snow Showers 35°/20° 40 %
Wed
Feb 04 Mostly Cloudy 29°/17° 10 %
Thu
Feb 05 Partly Cloudy 25°/12° 10 %
Fri
Feb 06 Mostly Cloudy 27°/14° 10 %

VitaBene
01-29-2009, 05:44 PM
I measured almost 9" of fresh snow on my deck in Moultonborough this AM. The trails s/b pretty good. I have not had to dig the trailer out yet!!

WINNOCTURN
01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Moultonboro Trail Conditions :)

We recieved about 11" of new snow from the last storm. Both the Tucker and Track Truck were down for repairs from Sunday through mid week. We are now back on line and getting things back into shape. Trails should be in good shape for this weekend. Grooming takes place during daytime and night time hours so riders should always be on the look out! And as always please stay on the trails!

Brian Hall
Trail Administrator

From Paul Driscoll
More details:

State groomed to the Castle parking lot last evening. Track Truck groomed from Skelley's Market to Castle lot and the Ayres trail. Scandic did Far Echo Harbor and Kona Loop this am, and Tucker is out grooming Corridor 15 and Red Hill again Today.

WINNOCTURN
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
The Moultonboro trails held up quite well on Saturday. It appeared most people were riding the Lake Saturday checking out all of the activities going on with the Rotary Fishing Derby. The most frequent comment I heard all weekend was about the amount of "SLUSH" on the Lake. It did not matter what part of the Lake you were riding in. Just keep the track spinning!

On Sunday I took a quick spin down off of Braun Bay to the Far Echo Beach and then looped back the Far Echo trial to the Kona trail, did the Loop trial and back home. I only passed 4 sleds.

With the warm temps yesterday the snow was very soft and sticky. There is still enough snow that can be pulled back into the trails, that barring more warm weather or Rain this week, we should be able to get the trails back in to condition for the coming weekend.

George

WINNOCTURN
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
From Brian Hall,

This week has seen some warm weather and rain to be followed by colder weather heading into the weekend. Grooming has been limited this week due to the warm weather and a broken exhaust on the Tucker. Groomers will be out Friday day and night getting things back in shape for the weekend. Expect some thin areas and icy spots

I would add a word of caution on any of the Lakes or Ponds as to the amount of SLUSH and possible Frozen Ruts and Bumps.

Ride Safe!

WINNOCTURN

WINNOCTURN
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
3:38 pm

I just got a call from THE TUCKER. The trails in Moultonboro are Icy and Frozen. Brian Hall (groomer) said the drag was bouncing over the moguls. It will present a major problem of lubricating the sleds track. We need about 6 inches of heavy wet snow to get the trails back in shape.

I think I will check out the Model A Snowmobile getogther at Moulton Farm tomorrow.

WINNOCTURN
02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Hopefully the Weather Man will be right. If we get even half of what they are predicting we will have good riding for the weeken. Hope to have "live" report from the TUCKER tomorrow.

Here is a forcast I like so far.

http://www.slednh.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3327&view=findpost&p=32760

I think all those Snow Dances have paid off.

WINNOCTURN
02-21-2009, 09:54 AM
The Groomers were out in full force last night.

The trails are in "GOOD" condition and the Lake has come back to where it is ridable again. :)

There are plans to run the Tucker over the Corridor trails early this afternoon to keep things in good shape. So keep an eye out for the Groomer.

Conditions should be perfect for our Progressive Dinner Ride staring at 3:30pm at the Club Garage.

Looks like we may get another 6+ inches Sunday into Monday?

WINNOCTURN
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
From Steve Janaitis,

In listening to snow reports, everyone around us got more snow than we did. I was at Bretton Woods today, they got 20 inches. I met the HK service manager at Hannaford and he was in Pittsburg at their camp this weekend and they got 20+ inches. Twin Mtn got 15 inches. Wakefield & Ossipee got over 15 inches.
Thanks,
Steve

Here in Moultonboro we were lucky if we got 4 or 5 inches. It is probably only enough to fill in some of the ruts and last for a day.

I have this pet peeve :fire: about the Welcome sign "they" put up at the Moultonboro/Sandwich town line. I swear if we got 4" on our side of the sign there is a foot or more on the Sandwich side. It's time to fire up the old Huskvana :devil: "I love the smell of saw dust in the morning"

George

ITD
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
From Steve Janaitis,

In listening to snow reports, everyone around us got more snow than we did. I was at Bretton Woods today, they got 20 inches. I met the HK service manager at Hannaford and he was in Pittsburg at their camp this weekend and they got 20+ inches. Twin Mtn got 15 inches. Wakefield & Ossipee got over 15 inches.
Thanks,
Steve

Here in Moultonboro we were lucky if we got 4 or 5 inches. It is probably only enough to fill in some of the ruts and last for a day.

I have this pet peeve :fire: about the Welcome sign "they" put up at the Moultonboro/Sandwich town line. I swear if we got 4" on our side of the sign there is a foot or more on the Sandwich side. It's time to fire up the old Huskvana :devil: "I love the smell of saw dust in the morning"

George

Ah, the old snow diverting sign trick, let me know if you need a diversion while you fix this travesty.

Thanks for all your work George.

Lakewinn1
02-25-2009, 06:58 AM
While lately we have not had much to cheer about on balance we had a good riding season!

WINNOCTURN
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Tucker went out at two this afternoon to try and pack down what we go. By noon time there were several areas ridden out by the little Bast rds jumping on the throttle at crossings and hills.

Education is the only answer. Meet Mr. Louisville Slugger.

The 8 to 10 inches will compact to 3 or 4 after grooming. Corners and other spots will still be icy under it. It will make for some good riding for the next two days.

All grooming equipment will be out tonight.

George

hazelnut
03-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Today Friday March 6th.

Conditions vary widely from place to place. Locally the lake is actually in pretty good condition as of today. Minimal slush as most of the snow has compacted down to make a decent ride. Whatever slush was there before has hardened up under the snow pack so it can get quite bumpy sometimes. Pretty minor inconvenience though. The tracks from Southdown shores to Meredith were in excellent shape. The 15N Meredith to Center Harbor to Kanasatka varies widely. Meredith to the farm was like a B- From the farm to Route 25B around a D and from Route 25B to Kanasatka was like an A-. The Red Hill trail from Kanasatka went from an F quickly up to an A as you approached the summit. The 201 to the Village kitchen was good until you hit the Village Kitchen then the quality dropped a bit but it wasn't all that bad. From Moultonboro Neck to Kanasatka was good. So the word of the day is VARIED. All in all a good day on the local trails.:coolsm:

WINNOCTURN
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Today Friday March 6th.

Conditions vary widely from place to place. Locally the lake is actually in pretty good condition as of today. Minimal slush as most of the snow has compacted down to make a decent ride. Whatever slush was there before has hardened up under the snow pack so it can get quite bumpy sometimes. Pretty minor inconvenience though. The tracks from Southdown shores to Meredith were in excellent shape. The 15N Meredith to Center Harbor to Kanasatka varies widely. Meredith to the farm was like a B- From the farm to Route 25B around a D and from Route 25B to Kanasatka was like an A-. The Red Hill trail from Kanasatka went from an F quickly up to an A as you approached the summit. The 201 to the Village kitchen was good until you hit the Village Kitchen then the quality dropped a bit but it wasn't all that bad. From Moultonboro Neck to Kanasatka was good. So the word of the day is VARIED. All in all a good day on the local trails.:coolsm:

Our biggest problem tonight and the rest of the weekend will be the night time temps. They do not appear to going down low enough to be able to get the groomers out. Next week looks better as for the night time temps but there is more Rain forcast.

As you say the Lake may be the place to go if you can get to it?

hazelnut
03-07-2009, 03:56 PM
The warm, Late Spring temps really killed the trails today. The sun was the biggest enemy. Once the temps got up and exposed areas melted down to plain old mud. We took the castle trail to the top of Mt Shaw. While it was beautiful up there today the trails from the Castle on down were 50/50. 50% snow 50 % mud. With the rain tonight any trail riding tomorrow would be ill advised. I'm parking the sled til the next snow storm. If there is one :(

Hopefully not the last ride of the season around here........

WINNOCTURN
03-08-2009, 07:13 AM
The warm, Late Spring temps really killed the trails today. The sun was the biggest enemy. Once the temps got up and exposed areas melted down to plain old mud. We took the castle trail to the top of Mt Shaw. While it was beautiful up there today the trails from the Castle on down were 50/50. 50% snow 50 % mud. With the rain tonight any trail riding tomorrow would be ill advised. I'm parking the sled til the next snow storm. If there is one :(

Hopefully not the last ride of the season around here........

50/50. 50% snow 50 % mud.

The technical term for this is called SNIRT

EricP
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
50/50. 50% snow 50 % mud.

The technical term for this is called SNERT

I though it is SNIRT?

BlackCatIslander
03-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I thought it was SNUD.

WINNOCTURN
03-17-2009, 06:00 PM
From Our Trail Master Leo Lemoine:

Leo has Officially Closed the Trails as of today March 17th 2009. Most of the Gates have been closed and locked. We hope every one has enjoyed riding the Moultonboro Trail System this season. We would like to thank the Groomers that made the Trails some of the best in the Lakes region. The New Tucker made a big difference this year on several of the trails that were previously groomed with the Scandicks. With his said we would like to again thank all those who donated to the Tucker groomer Fund.
We are now busy planning our work projects for next season. Next SEASON Officially Starts NOW! It really never STOPS.

George