PDA

View Full Version : Ski Doo Question

sgold44
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm looking for maintenance info for my 1996 Ski Doo Mach1 Triple. I bought it last year. I started it up this weekend. As I was looking around the engine, I noticed a dipstick on the right side down low just below the pull cord. I pulled it out & it looks like grease?? Any ideas about what this is. I'm new to snowmobiling & don't know much about these machines.

Formula260SS
12-01-2008, 08:10 PM
It's the chain case, there is a full line on the dipstick, oil in it looks pretty bad after only a few miles of riding. I'd find a small shop where someone can look it over at a resonable cost, a 12 yr old sled is going to need some maintenance regardless

If thats your first sled just be very carefull with that throttle, it will get you in trouble very fast if your an inexperienced rider.

trfour
12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi sgold44,

I have a question for you.
1. Do you have an owners manual?.... They are worth their weight in Gold!!

Link for some tips; http://www.snowmobilers.org/saferider/maintenance/page_00.html In the left, click on; Fall Preparation.

Belmont Resident
12-04-2008, 08:02 AM
For the $100.00 you spend it will be well worth it. You should have it greased the bearings checked, especially the drive shaft bearings. If your speedo isn't working that is an indication you drive shaft bearings are loose or bad.
You also want to check you chain tension which is located just above or below that dip stick.
Fast lake sled but a back breaker when the trails get bumpy. I owned a 96 STX. After the first year I upgraded the springs and the rear shock, that made it a much better trail sled.
Good luck, keep the rubber side down.

Irrigation Guy
12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I'd give the guys at winnipesaukee motorsports a call. They will take care of you. No need to bring it to a dealer. These guys love ski-doo's.

279-9059 www.nhtoystore.com

cowisl
12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Call Dave Rossetti. He will take care of you at a reasonable price

603 393 5658