PDA

View Full Version : Meredith Bay Regatta

Lucky2Bhere
09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Before the forum fest check out the annual rowing regatta on Meredith Bay. Should be a beautifull day! Starts at 9am.

"A 2.5 mile Head Race on Lake Winnipesaukee
Meredith, New Hampshire

...continuing a tradition of rowing in the Lakes Region!
Lake Winnipesaukee was the site of the first ever inter-collegiate crew regatta in the United States."

skisox24
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
The day was perfect. Bright sun and temps in the mid sixties. A terrific crowd showed up and a carnival atmosphere consumed Meredith Bay. Many high schools competed in this shell competition. First off....we should be so proud of these young people, many of whom had to wake up very early for the trip to Meredith, and then have to wait for their race time to launch their shell, row out to the start of the race at the entry to Meredith Bay, and then let it all out with the race back to the finish line. They all won, no matter what the race time.

This is certainly a new fall classic for Meredith. Kudos also to Marine Patrol for having controlled powerboat traffic in the Bay in order to preserve the safety of the competitors. A great day, can't wait for the 2009 Regatta!

fatlazyless
09-22-2008, 08:08 AM
147 rowing shells

The Sunday, Sept 21 www.citizen.com has an article. Calm water and sunshine for the third annual Winnipesaukee Rowing Regatta welcomed high school, women rowers in 147 different rowing shells from high schools in six surrounding states. The writer for the Citizen must have counted all the rowing shells and counted up to 147.

I didn't see the regatta but anyone know if these were 147 eight person, rower shells, as that sounds like a huge number? An 8-person shell has nine aboard with the coxain, so 9 x 147boats = 1323people....which sounds like a lot of rowers.

Were the rowboats required to slow down to 6mph at the Meredith Bay no-wake zone?

Probably, the public high school rowers work extra hard to try to beat out the private school rowers. Who knows...what do I know? You got the public schools, the private schools, the church run, parochial schools.
Evere notice how rowers look to be more physically fit than your average Joe or Jane motorboater?

The article says it was a 2 1/2 mile race course, starting at the Weirs and ending somewhere close to Meredith town docks.

In my very non-expert opinion, an eight person rowing shell, which could be forty feet long(?), is about equal to a 25hp outboard, for the first ten minutes of a race.

SIKSUKR
09-22-2008, 08:23 AM
I saw a little slice of the regatta on my way to the FF.Pretty impressive amount of rowers and boats.Merideth was a zoo with heavy traffic more like a 4th of July weekend.It took me 10 minutes to get to rt25 from the Rt 104 lights.On top of that was a road race going on.Very busy Saturday in Sept.