PDA

View Full Version : Page Pond-Sept 18

fatlazyless
09-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Driving around Meredith, one sees political style signs all over; on town hall, police, fire, public parks, private homes, encouraging 'Save Page Pond."

September 18 is the day when the purchase and sale agreement expires between 'The Wilds" and the Town of Meredith for a 567 acre property on Meredith Neck at a price of 2.6million dollars. Looking at the fund raising signs, the amount raised so far, through a town payment and a town mortgage bond is about 1.75 million dollars.

Anyone have a bucket full of old gold coins, which they do not really need, to contribute?

The Citizen has a lengthy article from about three weeks ago which pops up first when you search "Save Page Pond, Meredith NH.'

T.H.E. Binz
10-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I have never read nor heard anything about the Page Pond acquisition. Was it successful? If not, do we get our donated money back?

fatlazyless
10-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Good question and I have no idea other than the red thermometer sign in Hesky Park seems to indicate more donations are definately needed. Lots of white space at the top of that thermometer waiting for some donation money to color it red.

Maybe the seller, 'The Wilds,' is now pursuing a sale through two channels at the same time. Either a private sale, or a town conservation sale, and is just patiently waiting for the money to show up?

So, where is the money and who wants 567 acres of undeveloped sloping wooded hillside with a small undeveloped pond at the bottom for the absolutely, incredible, bargain basement price of just $2,600,000.? WHERE'S THE MONEY? This is the key big question here and deserves capital letters, imho.

The website for the 'Campaign to Save Page Pond and Forest' is accepting donations and has several attachments, which would not open for me, that may have a current update.

The tract of woods, pond and wetlands is described as a major watershed on the north side of the lake supplying clean water to Lake Winnipesaukee.

Scenario A- it remains as it is, an unchanged wooded slope with a small pond at the bottom, bordering Powers Road.

or

Scenario B - it is just maybe developed into a few roads and some single family homes.

Got to ask - considering that four out of four Meredith selectmen (the 5th was not present)) just recently
all voted unanimously to purchase a new, made-to-order, Pierce fire truck with an aerial tower for over $700,000.00 and figured out how to finance it, then why not put the same 'Magic of Meredith' to work on raising money for 'Save Page Pond,'
too?

"The power to tax is the power to destroy!" (Who said that first?)

Apparently, money means not all too much to the Meredith Selectmen.....ho-hum....tell me something we did not already know.:rolleye1:

About two miles further down the neck, located between Happy Homes Rd, Harris Rd, and off to the sde of Cattle Landing Rd, there's a 52 acre lot with 350' waterfront up for sale for 4.5 million dollars.

What a good spot for a tax exempt-charitable organization such as a summer camp which operates on a skeleton basis for eight weekends/year just like nearby Camp Monotomy and therefore pays no property tax.

Save the land from developement, or something!

fatlazyless
10-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Took a good look today at the thermometer, fundraiser sign in Hesky Park.

$12,500 has been raised via private contributions so far.
$1,750,000 original town contribution & town mortgage bond

$12,500 private contributions, as mentioned

$1,875,000 subtotal amount raised to date
$2,600,000 total is needed to 'Save Page Pond' and purchase it from the seller "The Wilds', so the campaign needs an additional $725,000 of private donations.

That's, the that's, that's, that's all, folks.....only $725,000.... piece o-cake Dearie!:):D:)

Hey, that's like the same price as the new Meredith fire truck with an aerial ladder. Maybe, put a temporary one year hold on the fire truck purchase, until the economy turns around, and Save Page Pond forever, like right now, before it gets developed into roads and homes.

Harborist
10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
For your total to be accurate FLL, the private contributions would have to be $125,000, not $12,500. I certainly hope that this is the case.

fatlazyless
10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
What did I do.....another look-see?

2,600,000 is what's needed, total.

1,750,000 is what the town will issue through taxes and a mortgage bond.

12,500 has been raised by private volunteer contributions.
2,600,000 subtract 1,762,500 leaves a balance due of 837,500.

Correct you are, Harborist! Oops, my bad, sorry about that.
Both of the thermometer signs at Moulton Farm and Hesky Park say the same, that only 12,500 has been raised so far. Seems like not very much. For some on this forum, $837,500 is just small change! Someone step up and and do the right thing here!

Seems like the timing for fund raising must be challenging what with all the stock market losses and business slowdowns.

If I donate the $837,500, do I get to rename it fatlazyless' Pond :D?

fatlazyless
12-26-2008, 07:46 AM
There was an article in the LaDaSun, the day before Christmas, and I tossed it in the trash already, but the news is that the Town of Meredith will be closing on the Page Pond purchase in the first week of January.

Still being short of the total asking price by some $250,000. the town will be able to come up with the money somehow or other, to satisfy the seller, and the sale will close with or without all thy monies needed. Obviously, I am lacking in details here, but the news is that this 500 acre wetlands that is very close to Bear Island will become conservation land and be set aside for walking, hiking, bird-watching, snowshowing, cross country skiing, etc.

500+ acres is a lot of land for like 2.25 million dollars.....highest quality....lowest price....and it locks it into conservation land, forever. As a very large watershed, and wetlands area that acts as a water cleaner, filter, and inflow, it could be considered the Town of Meredith's Christmas gift for Winnipesaukee's clean water.

:):):):):)

Anyone have an extra 250k in unneeded walking around money?:D

fatlazyless
12-27-2008, 07:14 AM
I forgot to consider Page Pond's use for hunting in the last post. Here's hoping that the 525 acres will not get posted with those ugly yellow POSTED signs that ban hunting, and this large wooded hillside and wetlands will be open to hunters.

Deer, deer, and more deer are most likely present, as I see deer in the general area, all the time, crossing the road. Probably, preserving this land for hunting was high up on the list for the selectmen as lots of townies like to go hunting.

After you shoot a deer, and get the 225lb dead deer dragged all the way back to a pickup truck, I hear that the Center Meredith Store, located on Center Meredih Rd in Meredith is the place to take the deer to get it butchered and freezer wrapped. You do not get a prep job that looks like it was done in someone's garage. It looks like they know exactly what to do, and it all gets wrapped up like a super market polystyrene white foam and clear plastic wrap job. Ready for freezer storage, and about six months of good deer eat'n.

fatlazyless
12-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Today's Dec 28 www.citizen.com has an informative article about the 'Save Page Pond 'campaign.