PDA

View Full Version : The end of another Great Season 2008

sa meredith
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I look forward to my Thursday night, 9PM drives up 93 every week, and now only have 5 left before close up. I find it very depressing. Didn't we just open??!! Wasn't this the year we were going to find the time to get to Sandy Point for lobster? and over to Walter's Basin for a Saturday night dinner at a table by the window? and get up to Lincoln for the Zip Line? and spend a night over on Long Island with my friend and his wife? and get out on the lake for a sunrise cruise. Well, what hapened? Rain, I guess. Who knows...summer is too short.
Maybe people can post things about their last days at the lake, until next year. And what their "must do this one more time" things are. Fun to read them all.
I was thinking back about the last three years, and how there has been a major incident/ accident each summer. Three years back two drownings in the broads on the same day. Two years back, the boat sinking off the broads..still no findings? And this year, the terrible Father's Day weekend thing (no finding yet there either I believe). I thank God I was not the second major event of the year on that August Monday afternonn.
Maybe we can have an error free '09. It will be interesting to see what things are like with the new "law" in effect (don't believe I am supposed to mention the actual term, per the forum rules). It's funny, as a reguar boater, I never gave it much thought. Doesn't bother me either way, and can see both sides.
I subscribe to the "always respect the other guys space" rule, but whatever.
So, people, what is the one thing (or things) you must do, without fail, one last time, over the next few weeks?
A quick few for me: breakfast at Geoge's. Beers in Wolfeboro at Upper Deck.
Margs at Crazy Gringo at the Weirs. Dinner at Lobster Pound (I am truly sorry, based on posts on this board, that I did not visit this place until the final days of August..great spot). Steak dinner at TBones, after putting the boat away at Paugus Bay Marina for the last time. And lastly, the single most important thing...listening to the Sox (and post game) on the radio, by the fire, into the late hours, followed by the simple sounds of the fire into the early morning hours...this I simply cannot do enough.

WinnDixie
09-10-2008, 02:14 PM
The end of summer was always bittersweet for me...being a cold weather hater. Even though I lived there full-time, I'd always get a pang when the air started to turn cold, and things started to close up for the season. Here's a bit of humor, though: sa meredith says the most important thing is listening to the Red Sox games on the radio. In the 60's we lived in the Shenandoah Valley in VA. This was, of course, before all the wonderful modern technology! My husband would go out and sit in the car about 9:00 at night or later. Once a lot of the "lesser" radio stations had gone off the air,he could get the Boston station that had the games, on the car radio. They wouldn't come in inside the house. He'd do this fairly regularly ( I think with the Bruins, too), and--come to find out--the neighbors began to think we had serious problems with our marriage! It never even occured to us anyone might draw that conclusion!! Made for a good laugh when the "truth came out"!!

kjbathe
09-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Labor Day weekend came too quickly this year. We've typically enjoyed the better part of 4 months of "summer" by that point and several sunny weekends with long weeks of sunshine in between, but not this season. It seems like we only had one real weekend that we weren't looking at the hourly forecast. And these last two weeks have been killing me -- beautiful during the week and wet on the weekend. The brevity of this summer sank in when we finished our ski shopping on the way to the boat the other day. There's just something odd about having new ski boots sitting next to the cooler and boat bag. :)

For us, we still need to get to JB Scoops. The girls need one or two more trips to Kellerhaus with a pocket full of quarters for the piano. And I just want one more calm day on the water, abundant sunshine, and perhaps some fall color on the trees on a warm Sunday afternoon. One more day with only one or two boats around and absolutely no reason to want to pull up anchor. With six or seven more weekends to go, I remain hopeful...

Merrymeeting
09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I started my end of summer depression last weekend.

We drove up last Saturday during the Hanna downpour. Through Gilford on a Saturday night at 7PM. Not another car in sight. Ditto Alton Bay, though there were still good crowds at Sandy Point and J.P's

No line outside the Wolfeboro diner on Sunday morning...

I love this time of year for the quiet and seasonal changes. But it is sad to see summer end.

sa meredith
10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Although I have already posted in this thread, I feeled compelled to throw out a few quick thoughts, as I sit here at work, at 6:45 PM, Thursday, October 9th.
In an hour, I'll lock up, and head to Meredith for the final time until May, 2009 (if we have any money left by then hahahaha...not really funny though). No stopping at home, or the store..the car is packed, and the weekends "adult beverages" were purchased at lunch time. My hope is to get there, fire up the water heater, unpack a bit, and be settled into the NLCS game by 9:30.
It really is a depressing feeling though...it was such a short while ago that I was posting during snow storms (that kept on coming) about how it was only 115 days until camp opening...and then 80 days...and then 40 days.....and now the entire season has come and gone. And the thoughts of the winter that is coming, and such uncertain times ahead of us just consumes me. It's tough to find "mental relaxation" these days...seems like there is always something to be concerned about...election, economy, employment, 401K, heating oil....my God, make it stop! Anyway, as we close our place on Sunday afternoon, and sleep there for the fianl time, it somehow will feel different this time. Like we are losing our 1 escape from everyday life. In the past, everyday life was pretty good, so camp was never really an escape...but now...well things have changed...enough about that.
I am going to make every effort in the world to put concerns away for the next few days, and do what I want (we want) when I want.
Friday AM, breakfast at George's for the final time. Drive over to the marina, after a quick stop at the Laconia animal shelter to drop off some litter (I encourage all those reading this to do the same). Fire up the boat for the final time (gas prices???? who cares?) and cruise over to Johson's Cove (depending on conditons in the broads) to sit and read for a couple of hours. Stop in at the Weirs on the way back, and grab a margaritta at Crazy Gringos. Come back in to Pauus Bay, say goodbye to the boat, and drive over to this BBQ place that has been talked about this week.
That will be followed by a quick beer or two at TBones, where it will be time time say goodbye to the servers who took such good care of me all summer.
And finally...this is the best part...get back to camp and start a nice blaze, as the temps start to drop. NLCS game on the radio at 4:30, followed by the Sox at 8. 7 hours of baseball on the radio...and a whole bunch of beers. This, I am looking forward to.
And the last couple of days will include dinner at the Lobster Pound, a trip over to the corn maze at Moulten Farms with the niece and nephews, a couple more fires, a last trip to Guisseppies, and our once a year "to go" meal from Hart's Turkey Farm on Sunday night. This all followed by an early wake up on Monday, and the final drive home. As a side note, if the Sox are up 2 games to none at that point, all will be right with the world!
Sooooo...if I have not bored you to death, and you are still reading this "run on" post, that should probably be a blog...I am curious if other people are experiencing similar emotions this weekend???? Ending the season can be very depressing. My sister has a camp a little down the road from us, and my parents have theirs right next door to them. And Dad took ill this past year (they made it up a whooping two times, all year). So sometimes, it's tough not to think...the clock is running. Anway...
not this weekend, not me....there are no problems for the next three days...spending money like a drunken sailor, and cheering for the Sox like no one is watching me. Meredith/ Laconia...I'm coming, get ready!

VitaBene
10-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Great post SA, we will likely take our last, or close to last, boat ride. My son will take my wife and daughter and I along with Cristen and her husband out on a nice slow cruise. A trip to the fairis likely in order as well as a nice motorcycle ride. Also I have to start considering the garage switchover from boat shrapnel (oars, paddles, sails, tubes) to snowmobile shrapnel!

Hope you have a great weekend- I know we will!!~

John

Pineedles
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
sa,

You and I have communicated through pm many times this year but I am posting this message publicly so that others can urge you to post your thoughts through the provided blog. You are a very talented writer and it is not tedious to read your "feelings" about the "last visit". Leaving the Lake is a very personal experience, but it is shared by many. It is a thought that goes through all of our heads and each of us has a special ritual to conduct. As we grow older some of us think that it won't just be the last time till next year, but never again. Keep up the great work of touching all of our feelings.:)

secondcurve
10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Although I have already posted in this thread, I feeled compelled to throw out a few quick thoughts, as I sit here at work, at 6:45 PM, Thursday, October 9th.
In an hour, I'll lock up, and head to Meredith for the final time until May, 2009 (if we have any money left by then hahahaha...not really funny though). No stopping at home, or the store..the car is packed, and the weekends "adult beverages" were purchased at lunch time. My hope is to get there, fire up the water heater, unpack a bit, and be settled into the NLCS game by 9:30.
It really is a depressing feeling though...it was such a short while ago that I was posting during snow storms (that kept on coming) about how it was only 115 days until camp opening...and then 80 days...and then 40 days.....and now the entire season has come and gone. And the thoughts of the winter that is coming, and such uncertain times ahead of us just consumes me. It's tough to find "mental relaxation" these days...seems like there is always something to be concerned about...election, economy, employment, 401K, heating oil....my God, make it stop! Anyway, as we close our place on Sunday afternoon, and sleep there for the fianl time, it somehow will feel different this time. Like we are losing our 1 escape from everyday life. In the past, everyday life was pretty good, so camp was never really an escape...but now...well things have changed...enough about that.
I am going to make every effort in the world to put concerns away for the next few days, and do what I want (we want) when I want.
Friday AM, breakfast at George's for the final time. Drive over to the marina, after a quick stop at the Laconia animal shelter to drop off some litter (I encourage all those reading this to do the same). Fire up the boat for the final time (gas prices???? who cares?) and cruise over to Johson's Cove (depending on conditons in the broads) to sit and read for a couple of hours. Stop in at the Weirs on the way back, and grab a margaritta at Crazy Gringos. Come back in to Pauus Bay, say goodbye to the boat, and drive over to this BBQ place that has been talked about this week.
That will be followed by a quick beer or two at TBones, where it will be time time say goodbye to the servers who took such good care of me all summer.
And finally...this is the best part...get back to camp and start a nice blaze, as the temps start to drop. NLCS game on the radio at 4:30, followed by the Sox at 8. 7 hours of baseball on the radio...and a whole bunch of beers. This, I am looking forward to.
And the last couple of days will include dinner at the Lobster Pound, a trip over to the corn maze at Moulten Farms with the niece and nephews, a couple more fires, a last trip to Guisseppies, and our once a year "to go" meal from Hart's Turkey Farm on Sunday night. This all followed by an early wake up on Monday, and the final drive home. As a side note, if the Sox are up 2 games to none at that point, all will be right with the world!
Sooooo...if I have not bored you to death, and you are still reading this "run on" post, that should probably be a blog...I am curious if other people are experiencing similar emotions this weekend???? Ending the season can be very depressing. My sister has a camp a little down the road from us, and my parents have theirs right next door to them. And Dad took ill this past year (they made it up a whooping two times, all year). So sometimes, it's tough not to think...the clock is running. Anway...
not this weekend, not me....there are no problems for the next three days...spending money like a drunken sailor, and cheering for the Sox like no one is watching me. Meredith/ Laconia...I'm coming, get ready!

SA Meridith:

Great post. Don't worry, all will be well. The weather is expected to be outstanding and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with friends and family this weekend. The bad news for me is that this will be the first time in many years that I won't be visiting the Lakes Region for Columbus Day weekend. While you will be enjoying your last visit to the lake, I'll likely be spending hours at Mass General Hospital. Not to worry though, my wife and are expecting our second son at any moment and it will be a joyous occasion. Remember, the buildings aren't crumbling, the sun will shine tomorrow and before you realize it we will all be participating in the ice out contest.....now if I only could get the correct month next year!

Flylady
10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Well I'll be on the plane at 6:30 AM(PST) for my last trip of the year from Los Angeles. As always, when I arrive at the lake I still get goosebumps each time I arrive; in awe of the beauty and tranquility. Because I have to travel so far, each day of each trip is savored from sunrise to sunset. When I leave after closing up the place for the winter, I alway shed a few tears as next May seems like an eternity. However, thanks to the wonderful folks on this forum and the web cams I can stay in touch from 3,000 miles away. Thanks you!:liplick:

mcdude
10-10-2008, 06:21 AM
SA Meridith:

I'll likely be spending hours at Mass General Hospital. Not to worry though, my wife and are expecting our second son at any moment and it will be a joyous occasion.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We all hope that it goes smoothly!!! McD

SIKSUKR
10-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Yup,the boating season is over.But now ski season is about to begin and just like the anticipation in May,Im pumped to start going to the skihouse.Went last weekend and got the same thrill of opening up the house for the season.I love all the seasons in New England and look forward to each.Before you know it there will be all kinds of activity on the ice.This should not be a sad time.Get out there and enjoy all times of the year in the great state NH.

Pine Island Guy
10-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!

It's a beautiful Friday night on the island... we have many nice weekends ahead of us till ice-in...

PIG

Misty Blue
10-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Things are just heat'en up!

See ya at the Sandwich Fair PIG!

Misty Blue

Mee-n-Mac
10-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!

PIG

Yup, we're doing a foliage cruise this afternoon. Just wish the wind would let up a bit.

callmeD
10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
SA - loved your post. Seems you are in good company.

Living every day to the fullest is our best approach to life - then we'll have no regrets (seems that's your plan for the weekend - good for you!).

And best of all ... Sox ARE on their way to being 2 up! 2-0 Sox lead in the first! GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

Ropetow
10-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Today was a great day on the lake. Beautiful sunset. Hope for a few more weekends. We lost my dad last week at 87 years-old. He'd been ill for the better part of a decade and never got to go boating with us on the Big Lake, but always loved our pics and stories. He grew up in South Boston and was a boater from his teens to 50s. I grew up as a ghetto kid in Cambridge MA (literally the other side of the tracks from Haahvud and thankful for that real-world upbringing). He was a high-school grad and was prouder than I am of my BC Ph.D. Being on the Big Lake is therapy for me now....knowing how much my dad loved the water, even though his water had salt in it. I look forward to a few more weekends of viewing nature's beautiful foliage, chatting with friends at the marina, watching the sunset and contemplating my place in the cosmos, and, on Monday, enjoying a late lunch with adult beverages at Shibley's in the gorgeous NH sunshine. The water, the Big Lake, is a very special place for me. I look forward to a great ski season, but I'll carry memories of the Big Lake with me on each run until we launch the bowrider again in the spring. We are fortunate to live in NH...where we get to experience all four season's of natures beauty in the Live Free or Die state, and where we realize how lucky we are, despite our tanking 403Bs. The world's economy is in turmoil, the elections look like they'll give us an untested president, but we know that we still live in the greatest state in the greatest country on earth, and are forever grateful for what we have. We are truly fortunate, those of us that have the opportunity to call the Big Lake our home body of water, and I give thanks for that every single day. God Bless America, and may He hold my dad in the palm of His hands, now and until we meet again.

callmeD
10-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Ropetow - I am very sorry for your loss. Take comfort in your fond memories of your Dad, and keep friends and family close.

Your post brought me to tears ... you are so right in what you say about living in such a beautiful area of the country. For many, the summer represents fun, family time, relaxation ... WARMTH! And when the season ends, it is sad to think we have to wait another three seasons to experience all that again.

However, we should appreciate and enjoy every season as it comes and goes and look forward to the next with the same anticipation of summer ... because really, life is what you make it. We just need to change gears and look at the coming season as a fresh start.

Donna

summersux
10-12-2008, 08:40 AM
:D The end could not have come sooner. Way less litter on the roads already. Also the traffic is down with far less rude drivers.

Now we just need a bunch of snow.
:D

Ropetow
10-12-2008, 09:12 AM
:D Now we just need a bunch of snow.

Being the gambling-type, I think I'll bet every last penny that remains in my 403B (and I do mean pennies! :eek:) that your prediction will come true within the next 90 days, max!

Irish mist
10-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad Ropetow. It's never easy.
________
Cami automotive (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/CAMI_Automotive)

This'nThat
10-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Anyone who missed this year's Columbus Day weekend really missed an opportunity to enjoy Winnipesaukee and surrounding area at its finist. Warm temperatures (~70); blue skies; calm waters; and not-so-many boats in your way. And, if you headed North to the White Mountains (on the back roads), the traffic was light and the colors were the best I've seen in years. This is the type of weekend you wish you could put in a bottle and use over and over again throughout the year.

VitaBene
10-12-2008, 06:49 PM
:D The end could not have come sooner. Way less litter on the roads already. Also the traffic is down with far less rude drivers.

Now we just need a bunch of snow.

Your screen name not withstanding, summer is my favorite season at the lake. If your post is a thinly veiled swipe at out of staters, that is too bad- they are the economic engine that makes this great state thrive.

See you on the trails:D

SIKSUKR
10-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Great post Ropetow.Sorry about your dad but it sounds like you have it all in the correct perspective.Why can't I write more posts like that?

Ropetow
10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Today may have been the best day on the Lake all season. Good temps, partly sunny, and very, very few boats. But, those that were out are clearly Big Lake vets, as everyone exchanged The Wave with us! Temps look OK in the Accuweather long-range forecast, though they are calling for snow flurries the night of the 21st! Hope to squeeze out a few more weekends. Maybe I'm nuts but I'd love to be out during snow flurries! That's be the perfect ending of a great season, the perfect transition to ski season. :eek:

callmeD
10-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Maybe it's the "Best for Last" theory ... and I'm sure you'll savor that day in your mind for a long time.

Here's another one ... a client of mine last night told me he went to Maine over the weekend to close up his place on a lake (don't know which one), which he does every Columbus Day weekend. Funny thing ... as crowded as his place is all season, there was not a soul to be found this one.

He spent two hours on Saturday on the lake in his boat, alone. The day was "perfect" he said, and there were no other boats on the lake except for one kayak that came by. He put two chairs up on the deck, pulled out two fishing rods and just sat there and enjoyed the serenity and peace.

He did mention it could have been a little better ... if he remembered to bring beer!

I try to carve out moments each day like this - things like the smells of the season ... the dampness in the fallen leaves that line the roads as I go for my jog; the visuals - beauty of the colors that paint the landscape; noticing the change in busy-ness generally, during this changing season.

Every day can be that special ... be present in the moment and your life will be enriched.

Namaste

chipj29
10-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe it's the "Best for Last" theory ... and I'm sure you'll savor that day in your mind for a long time.

Here's another one ... a client of mine last night told me he went to Maine over the weekend to close up his place on a lake (don't know which one), which he does every Columbus Day weekend. Funny thing ... as crowded as his place is all season, there was not a soul to be found this one.

He spent two hours on Saturday on the lake in his boat, alone. The day was "perfect" he said, and there were no other boats on the lake except for one kayak that came by. He put two chairs up on the deck, pulled out two fishing rods and just sat there and enjoyed the serenity and peace.

He did mention it could have been a little better ... if he remembered to bring beer!
I try to carve out moments each day like this - things like the smells of the season ... the dampness in the fallen leaves that line the roads as I go for my jog; the visuals - beauty of the colors that paint the landscape; noticing the change in busy-ness generally, during this changing season.

Every day can be that special ... be present in the moment and your life will be enriched.

Namaste

Aside from a fishing rod, and perhaps some bait, that is the only other thing you must have to fish! How could he have forgotten it? :laugh: