PDA

View Full Version : Slow Sat AM Labor day

Formula260SS
08-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Sitting here on the broads with my new VZ Wirelss card noticing it seems very quiet out there. I was hoping for more action as it's fun to watch and also means the local businesses are getting some action.

Lets hope it picks up on Sunday and Monday, I'd have bet more people would be out based on the weather this year.

ApS
08-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Sitting here on the broads with my new VZ Wirelss card noticing it seems very quiet out there. I was hoping for more action as it's fun to watch and also means the local businesses are getting some action.

Lets hope it picks up on Sunday and Monday, I'd have bet more people would be out based on the weather this year.
It's like a weekday.

Thursday, and even Friday were off. Except for some local minor fireworks late Thursday night, I wouldn't have known it was Labor Day Weekend!

Today, there wasn't any sun showing until a short time ago. "The action" picked up a little since lunch.

Right after this post, I'll be adding my boat to whoever's out in the Broads now. :)

Lakegeezer
08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
My neighbor showed up long enough to pull the dock and board up their house. A serious sign of fall! But, it looks like a nice weather week coming up - maybe the best of the season with actual 80's in the forecast. Agree with parent poster, quiet for a holiday weekend, but labor day is usually quieter since the kiddies are back in school and busy with local activities.

nj2nh
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Do the kids up there start school before Labor Day? I know a lot of areas do. My boys don't go back until Sept. 3. I never even went back to college in Massachusetts until after Labor Day. It is truly the official end of summer down here and down at the Jersey Shore.

I always thought the Lakes Region depended on the college and HS kids to work in the summer resorts and restaurants. How can they do that if they have to be back in school?

nj2nh

Old Hubbard Rd
08-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Was at Weirs Beach last PM (Friday Aug 29). There were about 12 people there. I'm exagerating but I'm not far off. The fireworks were not scheduled till Sunday PM. It was a beautiful night weather wise. We took the boat over at 8:30PM. Got a dock space with no problem. Took a walk to the Lobster Pound music fest only to find out that the City of Laconia recinded their previously approved entertainment permit at the last second. THESE OWNERS ARE REALLY GOING TO SUFFER. THEY SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON THIS EVENT. The boardwalk pier was closed by 9;00-9;30. Anthony's pier looks like they never even opened Friday PM. The only cars at the Weirs were the Mount Cruise passengers. It was a very eiry feeling being down there with no one there on such a big weekend. It felt like the middle of winter with the temps about 70. weird!

sa meredith
08-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I was there (Weirs) yesterday, from 3:30ish until just after 6...and would report the same thing. Really noone around. We went to the Lobster Pound (wrote a review in that thread, very good!) and at 3:45 very very few people in there. The city had somehow put a stop to their event, as Old Hubbard Road wrote. But they told us it was just the 2PM band that could not play.
The second band (called The Route 3 Band) started playing at 5ish, and we could hear it from the outdoor bar. So, when leaving, we walked over to the huge tent that is set up...and there was exactly two (2) people watching...other than the dozens of employees standing at the ready to sell booze and food to the guest. It looked like LP did indeed spend big money getting ready, and everything looked first class...like they really had done it right...but no people. Sad.

Irish mist
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Weirs Beach will never be what it once was. It seems to be a generational thing. Whatever it is.....the crowds have been gone for a long long time. In the late 80s it was not uncommon to see cars backed up from where the Gilford Shaw's is now to the Weirs. And the late 80s were slow on the Weirs compared to the 70s when the place was packed.

It's not even fair to call these "crowds" that now show up on the Weirs. You get what on a Friday night.....several hundred people at best ? In the 1970s there would be thousands & thousands of folks down there on a weekend evening.
________
Chevrolet Corvette C4 Specifications (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C4)

Newbiesaukee
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Drove some friends of ours to Moultonborough General Store, Center Sandwich ( good coffee and snacks at Mocha Rizing), visit to Booty Farms, then across 113 to Holderness and finally to Meredith. Parked near Georges and walked around Meredith at noon. Relatively quiet. Although the lack of traffic made for a very pleasant day for us, a little sad to think of the local businesses.

tis
08-30-2008, 05:50 PM
We also thought it was very quiet today in the broads. Thurs and Fri you can think maybe people aren't here yet, but by Sat.? Maybe the cloudiness today caused some of it but it was pretty warm despite not a lot of sun.

The Governor Wentworth District ( Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro etc.) start school on Tuesday nj2.

Argie's Wife
08-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I beg to differ.... things might be quiet on the lake itself but my little corner of the world seems to be quite alive! :)

Alton Bay was all a-buzz with activity today, as there's a craft fair going on and tons of vendors milling about. Lots of pedestrian traffic and little/no parking. There's a band playing tonight and the craft fair is continued into tomorrow. Very busy!

upthesaukee
08-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I must agree with it being slow on the lake on Sat. morning. I got into my boat at Parker's a little after 9:30 and headed for West Alton for a fill up. I saw one SkiNautique going into the docks, and then passed only three boats going out the bay!

Coming back, I passed about 6 or 7 boats.

Weather was cloudy, but warm, and the wind was pretty much down...a little chop from Little Mark to West Alton, but otherwise a great ride.

The craft fair was bustling when I came back 10:15 - 10:30, but plenty of dock space then. Car traffic was tough...packed solid from the parking areas back to AmyLynn's.

Airwaves
08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I wonder if "That which can no longer be mentiioned" and the economy as a whole has already begun to take its toll on tourism at the lake? As we know the Mount has cut back on its voyages this summer for lack of passengers.

I was up for a day trip Thursday and while I didn't swing into the Weirs, I drove past it and I didn't see many boats at all and even less in the way of vehicular traffic.

Lakepilot
08-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Saturday late afternoon, the Wolfeboro docks were full. A couple of boats were waiting for spaces. The lake didn't have a lot of traffic though. Looked like more people tied up there boat for the day and wandered around town instead of boating on the lake.

tis
08-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Airwaves, in our neck of the woods, we noticed one of those types of boats not to be mentioned was pulled from the lake already. We were wondering if it was just because it is Labor Day or they are going to sell it. I don't think they usually pull it this early. Maybe it is the cost of gas.

SAMIAM
08-31-2008, 07:26 AM
NJ2NH brings up a good point with the early start of school,both college and H.S..Every year we lose all of our summer help early because of school openings and have to struggle through the long Labor Day weekend.
So many kids need to work summers....you would think the schools would have some consideration for them and the employers .
The schools come to us (small business) for everything.....mostly money.Sports team jackets,ads for various yearbooks,sponsoring class trips,sports clinics etc...and we're glad to help......but how about starting school in September,like it used to be?

TiltonBB
08-31-2008, 07:33 AM
I've heard that the marinas on the lake have sold about 45% less gasoline this year. That is a real good indication of what the boat traffic is doing.
In past years most marinas had waiting lists for boat slips. This year many slips were empty for the season.
All summer it seemed more like the boat traffic level on the lake was like it was May, not July or August. It is nice to have no congestion on the roads or the lake, but as was said in an earlier post, the area businesses must be off quite a lot.

ApS
08-31-2008, 08:43 AM
"...Coming back, I passed about 6 or 7 boats..."
Were you overlooking the sailboats? :confused:

As far as I could see in all directions on the Broads, the number of sailboats was equal to the number of powerboats. :coolsm:

In passing nearby, one sailor hollered at me, "Isn't today as good as it gets?"

We had a peekaboo sun, but it was truly ideal weather for 'most any boating activity—you needn't buy gasoline to do it! :look:

sa meredith
08-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Not trying to start a debate here...but it's funny...very early in the season, I posted on a couple of threads, about how bad things were in the economy, and how slow things would be everywhere in the lakes region this summer...hotels, campgrounds, restaurants, marinas, whatever.
And I actually had members disagree, siting things like "election year, sky is falling" stuff...and "it's just media driven, not a real recession"...and I just thought to myself.....uuuuummmmmm, yeah, OK. Just look around!
I make my living in "big ticket retail", in an industry that drives this country and economy...and can state without any bit of uncertainty, "tighten your belts, folks. It's going to get much worse before it gets better".

Waterbaby
08-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Do the kids up there start school before Labor Day? I know a lot of areas do. My boys don't go back until Sept. 3. I never even went back to college in Massachusetts until after Labor Day. It is truly the official end of summer down here and down at the Jersey Shore.

I always thought the Lakes Region depended on the college and HS kids to work in the summer resorts and restaurants. How can they do that if they have to be back in school?

nj2nh

Hi nj2nh -- yes, the majority of schools both here and in MA start before Labor Day. Up until about 6 years ago, the school district I live in started after but apparantly the NH Superintendants meet at least annually and decided to make the districts more uniform at one of those meetings, and we began starting before Labor Day at that time. I hate it, we always took the last week of August through Labor Day for vacation and would just have son miss the first couple of days of school; once he hit 4th grade, however, where school becomes "school", we stopped that. Now I have a new word for the Superintendants -- Stupidintendants. :laugh:

WinnDixie
08-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I remember you mentioning that about a slow economy early this year and getting some replies disagreeing. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion...but I did...and do agree with you. I have not been up there this year, but have heard from friends and have read things here that would make me believe things are a little tough. It isn't only true up there, but the Lakes Region does depend on tourism, and has a short window in which to make the money. I am going to hazard a guess that you are in the automobile business from what you say. That has to be difficult right now..no matter what the season!

I guess we are not supposed to say "recession"...and technically we are not in one, so you read. This might be cold comfort, however, to people who are having all (or more than) they can do to make ends meet. I love the Lakes Region...it will always be home to me. All I can do is pray things will get better (they always do, eventually) and support my favorite Food Pantry up there. Hope some of you will do the same.

Meanwhile...smiles to you, sa meredith...hopefully you are fully recovered from your baaaad day at the Witches!

Can I sneak a question in here for SAMIAM? What is your restaurant? I wonder if I ever ate there when I was in NH.

coronado
08-31-2008, 04:41 PM
I also posted some observations early this summer about the economy and that people I had spoken with were not going to be spending like they could before...... Was at the Weirs, Sat 7 to 9 pm.... amazed at the lack of people.... Mount was next to empty.... parking spots everywhere.... public docks darn near empty..... spoke to the woman that was working the candy store, stated that it has been about the worst summer she can remember....other folks in the store overheard our conversation and chimed in with more of the same.... no crowds, no spending etc...... So... What is it people... are the times tough? or is it the media doom and gloom ? or is it just all in our heads and we spend our time whining about it?????

ApS
09-01-2008, 04:59 AM
It's almost dawn on this Monday morning—the last day of Labor Day weekend. My view of one mile of Wolfeboro shoreline shows only one dock light—and no other lights! :eek:

"...I love the Lakes Region...it will always be home to me. All I can do is pray things will get better (they always do, eventually) and support my favorite Food Pantry up there..."
Well, WinnDixie, what's your favorite market in Alabama? ;)

upthesaukee
09-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Were you overlooking the sailboats? :confused:

As far as I could see in all directions on the Broads, the number of sailboats was equal to the number of powerboats. :coolsm:

In passing nearby, one sailor hollered at me, "Isn't today as good as it gets?"

We had a peekaboo sun, but it was truly ideal weather for 'most any boating activity—you needn't buy gasoline to do it! :look:

The only reason I didn't mention them is because I didn't pass any:eek:!

There may have been some over towards Sewall Point or Parker Island,but not anywhere near close enough to pay attention to or notice, and definitely not in and around my travel path from Parker Marine to West Alton Marina and return. :rolleye1:

SAMIAM
09-01-2008, 07:23 AM
sa Meredith is right folks....circle the waggons because it's going to be a long winter.

WinnDixie
09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Sorry, Acres Per Second..I guess I shouldn't have capitalized "food pantry"! What I meant is to support a food pantry up there, as I have read several articles --and heard from the one that we support (St. Vincent de Paul)--that there is an ever increasing need. I'll bet you know all this, anyway, and I'd wink back if I had mastered the smilies! As yet, I am not too sure of them.