PDA

View Full Version : Island Internet

Formula260SS
08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Have a new verizon broadband card on the island, must say it works well. It's kind of cool not to even have electricity but yet still get online.

Seems to get full power on rattlesnake and the speed is pretty good, this is going to open a whole new world for next year, working from the island, now I like that!!

Webbsatwinni
08-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Formula,

That is exactly what I did this year (in fact, what I am doing now from Rattlesnake), I used my tethered blackberry to be online and work remote from the lake. I can work remote almost anytime I need to, but without my verizon connection it would not have been feasible. I could not have done it through dial up and would have spent less time at the lake and more time in the office.

I love technology! And I can be at the lake and on the forum too, instead of just using the forum as a window to the lake from home.

Just remember that as with many wireless connections, it is not the most secure, but that does not impact the way I use it.

codeman671
08-30-2008, 07:06 AM
I'd love to try Verizon here on Mark as an alternative to Hughesnet. My AT&T phone is pretty bad down here so I am curious how Verizon service would be, especially for the internet. We are quite susceptible to storms and heavy cloud cover lately with the satellite.

Formula260SS
08-30-2008, 08:07 AM
I'd love to try Verizon here on Mark as an alternative to Hughesnet. My AT&T phone is pretty bad down here so I am curious how Verizon service would be, especially for the internet. We are quite susceptible to storms and heavy cloud cover lately with the satellite.

Codeman,

Been on the VZ wireless all morning, If I had to comment with my limited use so far (only an hour or so) I'd say it works very well. Just downloaded an excel spreadsheet that wasn't too large and speed seemed just fine.

I'm currently changing my server at work and look forward to accessing the office from the Island.

Mink Islander
08-30-2008, 08:56 AM
We have Verizon Wireless on Mink and it works well. Reasonable speed. Usually have 4 bars. No worries.

Audiofn
08-31-2008, 06:33 AM
Verizon is talking about limiting band width in the near future. Not sure how that will go over but it could make it not really worth it depending on how much you use the service.

Orion
08-31-2008, 07:07 AM
I've been using Verizon wireless on the north side of Cow Island all summer with great results. Speeds vary from 400 kbps to 1.4 Mbps. This is as good or better than most DSL. I just purchased a directional extenal antenna (Wilson Yagi #301111) and will report results when I get the right cable from the vendor. I'm looking through some trees to the tower on Belknap, I believe, and this antenna should give me the full signal strength for the full 1.4 Mbps full time.

Island Life
08-31-2008, 09:50 AM

Codeman, I'm not too far from you. We have the same spotty AT&T service - can rarely get my emails on iPhone - but we have great Verizon service. I'll be trying the Verizon card next summer, thanks for the advice Formula!

Argie's Wife
08-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Have a new verizon broadband card on the island, must say it works well. It's kind of cool not to even have electricity but yet still get online.

Seems to get full power on rattlesnake and the speed is pretty good, this is going to open a whole new world for next year, working from the island, now I like that!!

Mind if I ask what you pay each month for service? :)

We have cable internet via Metrocast and I work mostly at home but would love the option of working "wherever".

Slickcraft
08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Mind if I ask what you pay each month for service? :)

We have cable internet via Metrocast and I work mostly at home but would love the option of working "wherever".

Verizon offers two levels of service, a 5 GB monthly allowance (used to be unlimited) for $60 and a 50 MB allowance for $40. We have the 5 GB plan and use it on the west side of Welch Island where the signal is very strong, it will also work in West Alton with 3 bars signal. We use it on the island about 15 days per month and our useage is about 600 MB/month, the 5 GB plan gives pleanty of margin for us, the 50 MB plan would not work for us.

The download speed is dependant on how many users you are competing with. At 6:30 am today when all the tourists were sleeping, I got rates in the range of 800 to 1,000 Kbps. Last evening it was only about 100 to 200 Kbps.

You can use it in a lot of the country but it is slower than cable access (we also have metrocast at home) so that is the trade off.

codeman671
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Verizon is talking about limiting band width in the near future. Not sure how that will go over but it could make it not really worth it depending on how much you use the service.

Some of the carriers on land are thinking of doing the same. Yahoo had an article the other day that Comcast is going to be limiting customers usage going forward as well.

TechGuy
09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I just got and have been testing the new verizon Rev. A cell modem and it works fantastic. I'm down near rattlesnake and get 3meg bandwidth and I'm currently testing streaming video off the island realtime from wireless cams. This will allow full video monitoring off a laptop with no grid power or highspeed WAN line. I will be setting up a prototype solution for properties with no power or communication lines to have property monitoring via cell communications and solar power. I am currently setting mine up for security for those individuals that think island property is public property and can trespass as they see fit.

Formula260SS
09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I just got and have been testing the new verizon Rev. A cell modem and it works fantastic. I'm down near rattlesnake and get 3meg bandwidth and I'm currently testing streaming video off the island realtime from wireless cams. This will allow full video monitoring off a laptop with no grid power or highspeed WAN line. I will be setting up a prototype solution for properties with no power or communication lines to have property monitoring via cell communications and solar power. I am currently setting mine up for security for those individuals that think island property is public property and can trespass as they see fit.

Keep me posted, i'd be very interested in what can be done.....

Pineedles
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM

Is that when you fire on them from the remote controlled Missle Launcher?:laugh:

Orion
09-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I just installed my new Wilson Yagi antenna and am now getting a solid 1 Mbps or better (-76 db signal) on the northern side of Cow Island. I'm pointing east at the Verizon antenna near Winter Harbor. Using VZ USB727 EVDO Rev A. modem.