PDA

View Full Version : Annoying bugs!

Merrymeeting
08-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi,

This is one of those identify-this-bug threads.

Can anyone tell me what this bug is, and what possible useful purpose it serves other than being incredibly annoying?!!! :eek:

I'm talking about those tiny black things that fly in front of your eyes during August. They never seem to land, never seem to bite, or do anything else for that matter. Other than to hover in front of your eyes (no matter which way you turn your head!), and annoy the blazes out of you!

They are so small it's hard to tell what they are, and if you are successful catching one, it's usually crushed into a small black smear that is unrecognizable.

I'm glad they don't bite, but boy are they a pain!

:D

riverat
08-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Maybe a no-see-um, very annoying.
Do not mean to hijack but it seems very important to me to get this article out there.
http://http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/GJNEWS_01/708289850

SIKSUKR
08-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Yup,I go with no see ums.They come right through my screens.

ApS
08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
"...They are so small it's hard to tell what they are, and if you are successful catching one, it's usually crushed into a small black smear that is unrecognizable..."
1) We've been having a few relatively calm days lately, which may account for the smaller pests. I haven't seen what you're seeing, but gnats are a nuisance in the late summer elsewhere. You get to ignore them until one chooses to inspect the inside of your ear!

2) To chime in on this thread with my own "August Pest", it would be a housefly that bites!

It looks for all the world like your regular housefly (but smaller), and is much harder to swat. :look: Successfully swatted, they leave a bloody spot—likely with your red corpuscles! (A successful swatter that worked for me was a folding-style leather wallet.)

While never troubled at the dock, they antagonize boaters when it's calm and choose one's elbows, back, and legs to sample blood. This is a brand-new pest to me, and hopefully they won't be around next summer. :(

nj2nh
08-28-2008, 09:21 AM
The link doesn't work and I am mighty curious!

nj2nh

lfm
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
2) To chime in on this thread with my own "August Pest", it would be a housefly that bites!

:(

I hate those things - I thought I was crazy at first - thinkin' I was being attacked by houseflies. btw - have been bothered by them for the last 3 years - usually in the middle of Paugus Bay or Winter Harbor, never seem to be problem near shore.

Skipper of the Sea Que
08-28-2008, 08:05 PM
The link doesn't work and I am mighty curious!

nj2nh

Try this link for the bug story Riverat mentioned:

Click Be on the lookout for a very bad beetle (http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/GJNEWS_01/708289850) the headline from Foster's

The article refers to the invading bug as: "...The beetle, which is native to China and Korea, is considered 'one of the most destructive invasive insects around today',..."

20mile
08-28-2008, 08:28 PM
1) We've been having a few relatively calm days lately, which may account for the smaller pests. I haven't seen what you're seeing, but gnats are a nuisance in the late summer elsewhere. You get to ignore them until one chooses to inspect the inside of your ear!

It looks for all the world like your regular housefly (but smaller), and is much harder to swat. :look: Successfully swatted, they leave a bloody spot—likely with your red corpuscles! (A successful swatter that worked for me was a folding-style leather wallet.)

While never troubled at the dock, they antagonize boaters when it's calm and choose one's elbows, back, and legs to sample blood. This is a brand-new pest to me, and hopefully they won't be around next summer. :(

This is a stable fly. see link http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/aginfo/entomology/entupdates/Indoor_pest/stable_fly.htm

Merrymeeting
08-29-2008, 05:45 AM
I know what a "no-see-um" is, the ones that come through the screens. These seem different. Much faster (I can swat no-see-ums easily). But it's the floating in front of your eyes part that I find most bothersome.

They are usually not in swarms. In fact there is usually only 1 or 2, and they do seem to focus on the eyes. I've often wondered if they are attracted to the mositure.

Or... I'm losing my mind! :D

Pineedles
08-29-2008, 07:04 AM
I hope this isn't what you are seeing.

ApS
09-04-2008, 03:46 AM
I hope this isn't what you are seeing.
Hmmm. We seem to be using the same film processor of late.

This is a stable fly. see link http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/aginfo/entomology/entupdates/Indoor_pest/stable_fly.htm
There were several opportunities this week to examine those flies, and that does appear to be the very stealthy pest I can't swat successfully. A folded Weirs Times tried yesterday was too slow.

I hate those things - I thought I was crazy at first - thinkin' I was being attacked by houseflies. btw - have been bothered by them for the last 3 years - usually in the middle of Paugus Bay or Winter Harbor, never seem to be problem near shore.
They don't seem to attack near shore. I discovered three of them at one time in the middle of The Broads: I managed to stun one, which landed on the water. It got up and flew away!

I know what a "no-see-um" is, the ones that come through the screens.
For about 100 bucks, "no-see-um" screens can be bought in a bulk roll—enough to do a house. Unfortunately, the fine mesh means that those screens will reduce the breezes through the house, but at least stops the fatter "no-see-ums" from entering. :rolleye2:

These seem different. Much faster (I can swat no-see-ums easily). But it's the floating in front of your eyes part that I find most bothersome. They are usually not in swarms. In fact there is usually only 1 or 2, and they do seem to focus on the eyes. I've often wondered if they are attracted to the mositure. Or... I'm losing my mind! :D
Any out-houses nearby?

Perhaps nobody has responded because Merrymeeting Lake has a lot of bogs around it (and a very different environment for bug species).

Maybe it IS time for an eye-exam. ;)

ApS
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Off Flasher 19, my boat has become a target for Horse Flies! :fire:

One "bit me good" last Thursday: now, they seem to welcome my boat in "twos". :eek2: They'll fly around and around, just like Deer Flies, but my "kill-ratio" had been much better with Deer Flies. :(

Today, I actually managed to successfully swat one :), and "flattened him good" with a back-up swat. (Followed with pushing the body overboard).

The swatting-weapon used? A "PFD-throwable-device". :eek:

I never noticed the landing of the one that bit me; but, actually, they are easy to hear, as they are a very "buzzy" fly.

Lately, I'm giving "deck space" to those large, black, Dragonflies, as their presence appears to discourage those Horse Fly "Drive-Bys".

I need a Dragonfly decal for my deck! :(

Lakesrider
08-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Here ya go...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dragon+fly+decal&FORM=IGRE3#focal=402ec95425a6886a76926556773a9885&furl=http%3a%2f%2fny-image1.etsy.com%2fil_fullxfull.129227377.jpg

:D

ApS
08-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Now I carry some hornet spray to do-in these menaces, but can't record a single horsefly "kill" with it. And their numbers appear to be increasing as August continues. :(

However, these past two days, black dragonflies have come to my rescue—I witnessed three successful "captures" on those days! :cool:

On the first, I had a swatter ready, but put it down to take a drink of water—just then, a horsefly landed on my arm—and I swatted at it with my cup! The beverage knocked the horsefly into the water, upon which a dragonfly then landed! The horsefly got away, but a few seconds later, a dragonfly approached carrying a captured horsefly. (A first for me!) It was like watching an Osprey carrying a captured fish!

The dragonfly landed on my sail—whereupon horsefly "parts" started falling. :eek2: This was repeated twice again. :look:

The most recent capture had me returning home to take a photograph. :cool: Wouldn't you know it—the moment I touched the dock, the dragonfly departed, carrying off his yet-unfinished meal. :fire:

Horseflies will "buzz" you, but will land with hardly a whisper. (Except when in "close-combat", dragonflies are silent fliers). Though there is no particular pain with a horsefly bite, a large welt remained—and has lasted for a week. :(

It seems as though "a white boat" is a target for horseflies. It's possible that's true for dragonflies as well, as I saw a dragonfly leave with his meal and head directly to a white boat at a dock. (Selecting a white boat out of several other boats).

:coolsm: I'll need three of those decals—one for the deck, and one for each side of the sail. :)

Dragonflies are the latest of Nature's-Wonders to me!

trfour
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
And just the other day my girlfriend told me that hornet spray works great on would be purse snatchers too. Supposedly works better than mace, with a longer range, for safety purposes!

OH, do we ever have some critters out there!

Terry