PDA

View Full Version : Comments and Observations From My Trip

KellyG
08-17-2008, 10:07 PM
This past week was my second year that I have vactioned at Weirs Beach. I plan to make Weirs Beach one of my vacation spots every year. Although I don't post much here much, I read through the forum quite often throughout the year and learn a lot about the area. I thought I would post some of my comments and observations from this trip.

Half Moon Arcades - I love these arcades and save my tickets all week to get some "stuff" to bring home. I noticed that this year the prices on many of the games have increased. The deal or no deal game last year was $1 and $2 and this year it is $2 and $3 to play. The machines that have all the stuffed animals in it that you pick up with the claw have increased from 25 cents to 50 cents.

Funspot - I like playing the games here but they really need to get better prizes to get with the tickets. It is 300 tickets to get a coffee mug here and only 55 tickets at Half Moon for a coffee cup.

Hart's Turkey Farm - We ate here twice this year and twice last year. I noticed that there was not as many cars in the parking lot as last year. I love this place.

Boston Seafood - We ate here once and it was very good. We both had the fried haddock plate and split some onion rings.

Kellerhaus - We went here 3 times this year and 2 times last year. The only night it was real busy was Wednesday because they had cones for $1. It was definitely busier last year.

M/S Mount Washington - Much busier last year. We wanted to go on the Doris E Friday night, but no one bought tickets so it didn't go out at 6:30 pm. It only needs 10 people in order for it to go out.

Squam Lakes Natural Science Center - What a great place! We were there for 2 1/2 hours but you could spend all day here. I was able to get some great photos through the plexiglass type windows they have.

Cozy Inn & Cottages - We stayed here this year and last year in the same cottage. This really is a great place to stay. The owners are very friendly and they keep the cottages and grounds spotless. They even come around and clean the grills in the mornings. The cottages have just about everything you need in them. There is a full size refrigerator, gas stove/oven, the bed was new this year and there was also a new set of dishes.

I made quite a few observations this week. I live in Massachusetts and it is amazing the difference between NH and MA. Everyone is much friendlier in NH. I noticed that people from NH do not drive really close to your car. That was really nice. The 2 times that I had cars driving close, I looked at the plates and they were MA plates.

The price of gas is also much cheaper in NH. I have to use premium in my car, so that is all I look at. When I filled up in MA on my way up, it was $3.99 a gallon. When I filled up at Cumberland Farms at Weirs, it was $3.83 a gallon. At the gas station in Tilton, right before the highway, it was $3.69 per gallon. When we crossed into MA on the way home, premium was $4.09 per gallon.

The only thing that was disappointing this week was that the beach area at Weirs had bacteria so there was no swimming there. We just love to walk down there and stay for the day. It was a hassle to have to drive to an area to go swimming. Hopefully it will be ok for us next year.

I would like to thank everyone who has given me advice on this forum. You are all a great help when planning what to do.