PDA

View Full Version : Area Resident on CNN Working the EV Angle!

AC2717
08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Another electric DYI-er in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, Bob Batson, has formed a company called Electric Vehicles of America that sells vehicle parts for other anti-gasoline rebels looking to convert

Here is the link

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/08/14/electric.cars/index.html

Does anyone know Bob? I never heard of his shop, I think I will take a ride up there just to check it out to see what it is all about, anyone know where it is?

brk-lnt
08-14-2008, 07:06 PM
No idea where the shop is, but I would like to check it out. I've been considering putting together an EV of my own.

TomC
08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.ev-america.com/

11 Eagle Trce
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-2100

Lakegeezer
08-14-2008, 08:24 PM
http://www.ev-america.com/

11 Eagle Trce
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-2100Very interesting web site. Imagine a bunch of electric cars running around the lake. Perhaps a fleet of electric boats. Its web site spoke of 2-3 cents per mile for electricity. I only drive 10,000 miles a year and would like having my fuel costs be under $300. Hope they do well.

SAMIAM
08-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Hard to keep the tears out of my eyes just thinking about all those electric cars......birds chirping,butterflies and hummingbirds happily fluttering.
But, to be serious......when you plug in that electric car,that makes you feel so good about yourself,the power is coming off the grid ,which is fired up,in most cases,by coal....or even,(horrors) foreign oil.
But ,I'm not complaining since that leaves more gas for me and my SUV.
I like the remote start so I can run the A/C for a while begore I get in.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lakegeezer
08-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Hard to keep the tears out of my eyes just thinking about all those electric cars......birds chirping,butterflies and hummingbirds happily fluttering.
But, to be serious......when you plug in that electric car,that makes you feel so good about yourself,the power is coming off the grid ,which is fired up,in most cases,by coal....or even,(horrors) foreign oil.
But ,I'm not complaining since that leaves more gas for me and my SUV.
I like the remote start so I can run the A/C for a while begore I get in.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh:The grid is likely to be the long term answer. The nice part about it is that alternate sources can flow into the grid as they become available. Wind, solar, nukes - its just power at your end. At some point, the math has to be examined. Is it indeed 3 cents per mile for electric vs about 20 cents per mile for gasoline? Something is fishy there because for home heating, electric heat is still considered more expensive than oil. Why would it be so different for transportation? The potential losers here are the gas stations - unless some sort of "quick charge" system is invented. Most of my driving is to Meredith, with an occasional trip down to the big city of Laconia. I'll still need my truck to haul the boats in/out of the water and to take long trips, but having an EV as a second car is something I'm anxious for.

jrc
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
The grid is likely to be the long term answer. The nice part about it is that alternate sources can flow into the grid as they become available. Wind, solar, nukes - its just power at your end...

I think people look at hydrogen powered cars for the same reason, any fuel can be used to make hydrogen. Recharge time is the big bugaboo with electric. I recharge my gas car in a two minutes at a gas station. Hydrogen would be the same.

...At some point, the math has to be examined. Is it indeed 3 cents per mile for electric vs about 20 cents per mile for gasoline? Something is fishy there because for home heating, electric heat is still considered more expensive than oil. Why would it be so different for transportation?

I didn't check the math but I'm guessing it's efficiency. Heating a house with oil is pretty efficient, only a little goes up the chimmney. A gas car on the other hand is a lot less efficient than an electric car. Much of the energy in gas is lost to heat and not actually causing the car to move.