PDA

View Full Version : Bees and Bats

SteveA
07-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a drop off in Bees and Bats.

I love to sit outside just after sunset and watch the bats. Believe it or not I just saw my first bat tonight. ( I don't sit outside everynight.. so maybe I missed some) I've also noticed far fewer bees in my gardens.
A "Google Search" came up with this..

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/07/08/mystery_disease_also_hitting_nh_bats/

Before I go all "Al Gore" on this I wonder if some other folks have noticed the same trends. :confused:

sky_nh
07-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Didn't know there was a problem. Thanks for the article.

Every summer I have two bats that fly in circles above my yard in the late evening looking for supper. It's been that way for the eight years I have lived here.

While this might be a new team, there's still two flying around this summer. I must have a bountiful supply of moths, mosquitoes, and other goodies to keep them coming back.

Orion
07-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Over the past several years we had had about a half-dozen bats living in our roof ridge (mixed feelings on that), but this year they are gone and the mosquitos are up. In prior years, they had pretty much eliminated mosquitos at our camp. I only saw a single bat one night last month. None since.

COWISLAND NH
07-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Please feel free to come over in my loft a get as many as you like...just had a few babys born hiding behind our moose in the living room....they make a mess!! I will say we have very few bugs though

JTA
07-22-2008, 07:24 AM
You can add red squirrels to the list. I don't have any around my place this year and they're not missed! I'm not sure about the bats. I was expecting lots of mosquitos this year but they haven't been too bad so maybe the bats are active on Cow Island.

SteveA
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
just had a few babys born hiding behind our moose in the living room....they make a mess!!

A Moose in the living room...:confused: and I thought a few turkeys and a woodchuck in my yard was problem! :):):) I have to believe the moose makes a bigger problem than the bats!! :eek:

I'm almost sure the moose is a stuffed moose... but I couldn't pass on the reference... :)

SteveA
07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
This would be my avatar...

:):):):)