PDA

View Full Version : Corn is ready

SAMIAM
07-19-2008, 08:37 AM
First local corn is ready.Drove by the Ledgewood Farmstand in Moultonborough yesterday and nearly locked my brakes when I saw the corn and blueberry sign up.Parking lot was PACKED.The ears are quite small but who cares?......absolutely sweet and delicious.Blueberries are the best,also YUM!

SteveA
07-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks Samiam :rolleye2: you just cost me some gas money. The Boss saw your post.. and we "have" to go to Moultonboro this morning. :rolleye2:

Yes dear, I'm getting in the car as soon as I finish this post..

and.. just for future reference.. How much do you charge to haunt a house? :D:D

SAMIAM
07-19-2008, 09:16 AM
No kidding...Halloween is my favorite holiday.....no charge for haunting.

Weekend Pundit
07-19-2008, 04:18 PM
The first corn of the season was also available at Beans & Greens in Gilford today. My son works there and he said every single bushel they picked was gone by noon. He says it was the sweetest corn he's ever tasted.

SteveA
07-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Ledgewood Farmstand in Moultonborough. We passed Greens and Beans.. and saw the sign. OUR OWN CORN. Like Samiam I about locked up the brakes. :)

WP, your son was correct. :cheers: The corn was the best we ever had. Small ears but fantastic. And, the money I saved driving to Moultonbourogh paid for it. :eek:

Life is good.. fresh corn!

Irish mist
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow, yes, Beans & Greens corn is excellent right now. Just got some today.

livingonwinni
07-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Moultons has some too !!

SteveA
07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Me... it stays in the husks, out of the plastic bags they pack it in when you buy it. (the plastic bags "overheat the corn and builds the sugar content.. I think :confused:) I get the water to boiling, then husk the corn and drop it in the boiling water. (I do add a little salt just as I drop in the corn.. much to the dismay of Ms. SteveA)

3 minuets (not one second more) from when the water comes back to a boil... out and served.. lot's of melted butter and a side order of angioplasty. :eek: (Ok.. a little more salt, with a little fresh ground pepper on top of the buttered corn.)

"She who must be obeyed" has my doctor and the ER on speed dial all summer long. ( Now.. on to the medium rare ribeyes, twiced baked potatoes covered with sour cream, and grilled asparagus ) :emb:

PS... have you tried the new Bud Lite with Lime.... (They call it BL) Ice Cold... :D

Hermit Cover
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Tried 4 ears from M-F's tonite....ate half of one and threw the rest out....very tough and starchy ....not sweet and tender.....very disappointed...probably imported from off site.

Lakegeezer
07-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Tried 4 ears from M-F's tonite....ate half of one and threw the rest out....very tough and starchy ....not sweet and tender.....very disappointed...probably imported from off site.Give them another shot. We had corn from Greens and Beans on Saturday and from Moulton Farms on Sunday. G&B tasted old and starchy while M-F was big ears, sweet, tender and fresh. I think every supplier has their bad days. You need to pick your ears carefully and pick them often.

Sal
07-22-2008, 07:40 AM
"3 minuets (not one second more) from when the water comes back to a boil... out and served"

Have you tried "nuke-ing" corn? Put up to 6 ears in a loose plastic bag (do not seal) with salt and butter. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes (if you have a wimpy oven, a bit longer) for each ear in bag. Half way thru, stop and manipulate bag so butter and salt covers all the corn. When done, immediately drop corn (very hot) into big bowl. All the flavor stays in the corn .. none goes to making corn "soup".

SIKSUKR
07-22-2008, 07:56 AM
I microwave them but not just the corn.I use a covered casarole dish and put about an inch of water in it with,in my case for the dish size,4-5 ears of corn.Micro about 6-8 minutes.It's really just steaming the corn so adjust your time for your micro strength.I've found that there really is no need to boil a large pot of water and warm up the kitchen on a hot summer day.Try it.It works great!

fatlazyless
07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Took a good look at all the different crops in the huge field of the Moulton Farm on Route 25 in Meredith yesterday. Lots of big healthy look'n crops....lots of different veggies,,,,with all this rain....once the sun returns....you'll be able to watch them grow as you drive on by.

Looks like things are really grow'n BIG on the farm this summer, ayuh!, :):):):):)

SteveA
07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Wow, maybe this "old dog" needs to learn "new tricks'

I'll report back after I try the microwave... :eek:

SAMIAM
07-25-2008, 04:02 PM
SteveA......That new Bud Light lime is AWESOME.......I drank Corona light for years....with lime, of course....I am officually off of the mexican beer...