PDA

View Full Version : Walk-In Health Care Clinic?

upnorth
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
My wife and I spent the night in our local hospital in Mass getting our 7 yr old all stitched up after a fall. (He's ok, just a split chin like his dad received many yrs ago:)). Anyway, stitches need to come out in 7 days, which puts us right smack in the middle of our vacation next week in Meredith. Short of going to the ER to have the stitches removed, are there any area clinics or pediatricians that can do same? We're also reaching out to our pediatrician, but I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks

Cub Run
07-16-2008, 10:12 AM
You might try calling Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia. They have a "Fasttrak ER ". We unexpectedly ended up there a few weekends ago with both of our boys with ear and throat issues. The staff was great, the Doctor that treated them was quick and thorough and we were back to the Lake in no time !

twoplustwo
07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
...you can take them out yourself if you dare:)

Other than that, there's plenty of local docs you could see in Meredith - I wouldn't bother with a trip to LRGH just for that. Off the top of my head and after a quick Google for numbers, I would try Dr. Joe Misiewicz - he is up by the gym at 279-7464, he's been in practice forever. Or try Carolyn Crosby or any of the docs at Belknap Family Health - they are across from the Harley shop at 279-7464. I'm sure if you called and explained your situation, they could squeeze you in an appt since stitches take all of a couple of minutes to remove.

If neither of those work out and you don't mind a quick trip to Moultonborough, we use Moultonborough Family Health at 253-6925. They're in Harbour Square on Rt. 25 through the double lights at 25B/Bean Rd, past MVSB and the realtor, take a right into Harbour Square and they are the office on the far right hand side of the building. Me, my kids, and my husband all use them and they are wonderful.

I'm glad he's doing ok!

COWISLAND NH
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Get a pair of small scissors & tweezers. Gently pull at the knot in the stiches and cut just below knot(one side) and pull....done it too many time to recall. They may even sell a kit @ CVS

Argie's Wife
07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Assuming the wound is healing up well and is perfectly closed, taking them out yourself is no big deal. Cowisland gave you very good advise.

We went through this with our oldest not too long ago. He howled, screamed and begged for me to stop. I told him I was almost through with the job and he was amazed that he wasn't feeling anything... So... then I BEGAN taking the stitches out. Once we got past the psychological thing of me coming at him with a pair of scissors, he was fine. :D

ladybug
07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
This week we were in need of a clinic or doctor. There are no walk-in clinics in the area. We called a local doctor's office and was told we had to go to Laconia General Hospital and could go to the Fasttrack ER as someone has stated.

Newbiesaukee
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I am a big believer in do it yourself. Having taken out thousands of stitches and even encouraging my patients to do it themselves, I would rethink doing it on the face of a 7 year old. Not all stitches are "simple stitches" as described and the worst case is starting and not being able to do it properly. Even the removal of the simple stitches should be done the correct way. On the leg of an old geezer or the arm or chest (or the dog), try it. But I would not try it in the situation you describe. Also, do you know if any stitches were put under the skin? If not, on the face some surgeons would put Steri-strips or similar fastens. Just my opinion. I have used the fast track at LRGH and it wasn't too slow when I was there, but waiting time is a crapshoot.

upnorth
07-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks

Seems like Fast Track at LRGH is the way to go.

I agree with Newbiesaukee. I have no problem taking them out if on myself (even attempted last year on my hand when a doctor friend stepped in), but on my son's face, no will do -- even though no stitches under the skin.

Funny -- we almost were able to use the ER doc who put them in to take them out -- he and his family will be vacationing in Moultonborough, but is arriving after the time frame for when the stitches need to come out.

Thanks all.

SAMIAM
07-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Don't be a wuse...stitches are easy to take out .CowIsland called it right and I've done it many times myself.It's not painful at all....just clip and pull with the tweezers.

upnorth
07-17-2008, 07:57 AM
I knew I couldn't fool you, SAMIAM. Whatcha doin' next week...

fatlazyless
07-17-2008, 08:11 AM
CVS has been setting up 'Minute Clinics' inside their stores on a state by state basis as they get permission from each state's health department.

Anyone notice if the CVS pharmacy next to the Gilford Lowe's has one of these 'Minute Clinics?'

With the high cost of health care, it's just cheaper to stay healthy. :eek:

wifi
07-17-2008, 08:16 AM
... Seems like Fast Track at LRGH is the way to go ....

One thing to be careful of is that I went thru Fast Track a number of times for cat bites. They billed my insurance company for an ER visit, even tho it was plainly Fast Track. ER visits with no overnight stay have a high copay (for me). Afterwards I found out if they mark it as a doctor referral and you don't have an imminent emergency, they don't charge it as a ER visit.

Nice kitty.... nice kitty... purrrr, purr...

winniplayhouse
07-17-2008, 08:36 AM
There is a new walk-in clinic(/photo gallery - I kid you not!) next to us here at the Alpenrose Plaza in the Weirs. I've never been in but I've met the doctor/photographer once and he seemed nice. He is certainly not open everyday as I believe he also practices elsewhere. It's called the Weirs Health Center.

fatlazyless
07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Maybe the Dunkin Donuts across from the Weirs Post Office could copy the CVS plan, and set up the last seat at the end of their counter as their Dr Donuts spot. Just like a handicapped parking space, their Dr Donuts seat could be engraved with the Hippocratic Oath and left unused and waiting for those in dire need of a medicinal honey glazed, boston creme, lemon filled, or old fashioned.

Got a high chloresterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes problem.....our Dr Donuts seat here at Dunkin Donuts has your cure!:D

wifi
07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe the Dunkin Donuts across from the Weirs Post Office could copy the CVS plan, and set up the last seat at the end of their counter as their Dr Donuts spot.

Got a high chloresterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes problem.....our Dr Donuts right here at Dunkin Donuts has your cure!:D

A self perpetuating client base.... nice idea !! :)

SAMIAM
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
My office hours are 8-12 AM,Upnorth......surgery on fridays.I'll even buy the little rascal an ice cream

lakershaker
07-17-2008, 03:11 PM
One thing to be careful of is that I went thru Fast Track a number of times for cat bites. They billed my insurance company for an ER visit, even tho it was plainly Fast Track. ER visits with no overnight stay have a high copay (for me). Afterwards I found out if they mark it as a doctor referral and you don't have an imminent emergency, they don't charge it as a ER visit.

We had the same issue - our daughter had strep throat, and we just needed to get an antibiotic perscription while on vacation this June. Instead of a $20 co-pay, I'll probably end up having to spend over $300. The crazy part is they don't know how much it will cost - I had to just leave a credit card number, and they said in a few months they'll know the amount after the hear from the insurance company!

But the staff and doctors were very nice and helpful, and it wasn't too long of a wait.

tis
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Huggins does the same thing, lakeshaker. I am not sure they still have it but they had the same kind of thing as the Fast Track but with a different name. But it didn't matter what it was, it never got coded right and you always ended up with an emergency room charge. Huggins has a LOT of trouble with coding!

An outpatient clinic is desperately needed on both sides of the lake!!! I think they would make a fortune!

Whimsey
07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Huggins plans to build one just behind the McDonalds at the circle, but still a couple of years off, I think. The nearest one I could find was in Barrington, and they were nice and efficient, but a bit of a haul.