PDA

View Full Version : How Much Damage Can A Wine Bottle Cause?

Rattlesnake Gal
07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
A few weeks ago we headed down into Alton Bay for dinner. As we neared the bandstand out in the water, we noticed a wine bottle that is almost as big as a two-liter soda bottle floating in the water. Of course we scooped it up so no one would hit it. Inside were a couple of drawings that appeared to be done by a child. The other is from a guy named Jimi. Aside from the fact that this is trash, my concern is over someone hitting it. It was also getting close to sunset, which meant that someone might have struck it in the dark. So, if a boat were to hit this bottle, how much damage could it do to a boat?

I think Jimi had a bit to drink before setting the bottle afloat.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/507/medium/Jimi_trash.jpg

Hey my name
is Jimi. Im
just seeing who
this gets to
If ur cute Im
6’ 2 200lbs. Blues
blonde hair. If A
guy I like to drink
and have A good
time call me
520-xxxx
Jimi

Would you like the rest Jimi’s telephone number?
Whether it is for a date, a drinking buddy or to give him a piece of your mind for creating a litter hazard on the lake, just let me know.

chipj29
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Sorry, Jimi is not my type. Actually, he is exactly my type, as I am 6' 225#, blonde blue...but my name isn't Jimi.
Anyway, if it was a kid, I would say it is just a little kid having fun with a message in a bottle. But I don't think that wine bottle would do much damage to your boat.

twoplustwo
07-01-2008, 05:11 PM
That song is stuck in my head now:(

I think Jimi would attract a better class of people if he weren't drinking Sutter by the jug:D

SAMIAM
07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Maybe if it was a bottle of Opus 1......he'd have had a few takers.

2Blackdogs
07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Boats have sailed over rock breakwaters and showed only deep scratches.

There's be no damage to any boat, IMO, but that bottle could put a 53mph crimp in Broadhopper's barefoot skiing!

michael c
07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
It is my opinion that whoever put that bottle in the lake is a moron with little or no capacity to be able to understand the potential ramifications:
#1 What if i hit that 1 pound bottle at 40 -45 miles an hour? what if someone skiing behind my boat hits that bottle at 40 mph ??? what if blues eyes jimmy has to show up in court on monday to answer scharges due to the fact that either i put a dent in my $35,000.00 boat due to him being an idiot or due to a skiier falling on the bottle or hitting it with a ski ??
So many of you have ,in the not too distant past, rambled on for hours and hours about someone kayaking late at night and tried to defend them ,,,, where are you now , before the accident happens ???? silent ,I see...
Because hind site is 20/20 and so many of the people who use "my lake " these days have no idea what really is a safety hazard and what is not ..
I was on this lake when ,from Meredith all the way to spindle point,there were only 3 houses on the entire shore that you could see. I know there were a few more back from the shore in the woods a bit ,,,but just imagine,,,,3 cottages on the entire shore from meredith to Spindle point ...I was there ...and I won't go out on the lake ever again because it is chock full of idiots and many more idiots defending them ... and jimmy should be charged with littering ,if only to teach him a lesson ,,,we are talking severe Dain Bramage here !!
Mike

Lakegeezer
07-02-2008, 05:04 AM
I won't go out on the lake ever again because it is chock full of idiots and many more idiots defending themYou are right, the bottle should not be there. But there are similar natural hazards such as logs so it was a small infraction. I hope your claim that you will never go out on the lake again is due to age and decrepitus and not just the changes that the lake has experienced. On weekends, you are right. It is chock full of idiots. During the week, and even weekend mornings and late afternoons, the lake can seem almost empty. Try the lake on a Tuesday or May or September/October. You'll still see way too many houses built along the shore, but the water is yours and the loons.

chipj29
07-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Seriously though, just how bad is this wine bottle? While I agree it is juvenile, and yes technically it is littering. But damaging a boat? Causing injury? What are the odds?

When I was a young lad, I was guilty of the same thing. From a camp in Gilford, I put a message in a bottle and set it free from the boathouse roof. No, it was not a wine bottle...

I think we need to lighten up a tad.

Misty Blue
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm with you Chip.

This Forum used to be a FUN place to visit. But lately much of what I see is harping, moaning and going to great lengths to seek out how some others who drive a different boat, own a different home or live in a different state are infringing on someone's God given rights to have everything their way. It has even gotten reude at times.

Geez guys, lighten up. While RI Gal's post is honest and only posed a question some of the replys had venom in them. Dudes, take it easy!

Since I don't have a "WayBack" machine I can't zap you back to the good old days before there were people to offend you, so deal with it.

BULLWINKLE: "Hey Rocky, A message in a bottle."

ROCKY: "Now here's a message you'll really like."

Damn that Moose! There ought to be a law!

Misty Blue

Argie's Wife
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Would it have been more acceptable if he'd placed it in a biodegradable, recyclable plastic bottle that had once held organic green tea procured under the Fair Trade process? ;)

AC2717
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm with you Chip.

This Forum used to be a FUN place to visit. But lately much of what I see is harping, moaning and going to great lengths to seek out how some others who drive a different boat, own a different home or live in a different state are infringing on someone's God given rights to have everything their way. It has even gotten reude at times.

Geez guys, lighten up. While RI Gal's post is honest and only posed a question some of the replys had venom in them. Dudes, take it easy!

Since I don't have a "WayBack" machine I can't zap you back to the good old days before there were people to offend you, so deal with it.

BULLWINKLE: "Hey Rocky, A message in a bottle."

ROCKY: "Now here's a message you'll really like."

Damn that Moose! There ought to be a law!

Misty Blue

Seriously,
I think all this money strapping, bad economy is put everyone is a bad mood, it is a message in a bottle for sakes sake. It was some kids doing somthing that has been done for hundreds/maybe 1,000s of years. Yes it could cause an issue, I am sure you neever did anything that caused an issue, can we all stop being PC and the holy'er than thou my S*&t does not stink routine

RI GIRL: Yes it could cause damage to the extent depends on the situation but as far as to a boat, more than likely nothing unless you hit it with your prop

GoSnow
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Just consider the broken glass in the lake. My daughter sliced her foot on a broken beer bottle in the sand when she was swimming. Not the best way to start your summer vacation at Winnipesaukee!!!

dpg
07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey Michael let it all out and tell us what you really think. :eek::laugh:

wildwoodfam
07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Seriously though, just how bad is this wine bottle?
I think we need to lighten up a tad.

Lighten up everyone - there are far greater obstacles in the lake than a wine bottle...logs, chairs, water ski's, and I've hit some of them with no damage to the boat whatsoever. Fact is - we tell kids to send off notes in bottles - in our stories, in our folklore, and in literature. Then - irnoically, when these kids listen to us - we get all sue happy and litigious and selfi concerned...

NOW granted - Jimi does not appear to be a kids, perhaps a drunken fool who thought this to be funny. Then again - druken fools often tend to act like kids!

wildwoodfam
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Just consider the broken glass in the lake. My daughter sliced her foot on a broken beer bottle in the sand when she was swimming. Not the best way to start your summer vacation at Winnipesaukee!!!

Broken glass on a beach on a lake was most likely broken on the beach - or close to it! Hope your daughter was OK - and enjoyed the rest of her vacation!

gravy boat
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Would it have been more acceptable if he'd placed it in a biodegradable, recyclable plastic bottle that had once held organic green tea procured under the Fair Trade process?

Hey, at least the contents were biodegradable -- and I'm SURE the contents were added to the lake --after a slight detour.. yuck!

GB

mcdude
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
What a riot! I think poor Jimi is lonely!:look:

I don't own a boat (does a kayak count?) and know next to nothing about boating. I've learned a lot about boating on this forum from the few posts I have read through. I don't think most (non-boat) people have any clue that putting a bottle in the lake might cause problems. The larger problem may be ....who drank that classy Sutter Home Merlot (yuck) and were they driving the boat.....Jimi????

wildwoodfam
07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
What a riot! The larger problem may be ....who drank that classy Sutter Home Merlot (yuck) and were they driving the boat.....Jimi????

It's yummy! :liplick:

Meredith lady
07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
In 1974 I buried a "time box" with 3 friends at a summer camp. We retrieved it 15 years later and it was awesome. The wine bottle was a great idea, although it could be dangerous. I agree with Samiam-give me a good bottle at least!:)

brk-lnt
07-02-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't own a boat (does a kayak count?)

NO, kayaks are not boats and they don't belong on this lake!

(kidding)

Misha888
07-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I think Jimi had a bit to drink before setting the bottle afloat.

Hey my name
is Jimi. Im
just seeing who
this gets to
If ur cute Im
6’ 2 200lbs. Blues
blonde hair. If A
guy I like to drink
and have A good
time call me
520-xxxx
Jimi

Would you like the rest Jimi’s telephone number?
Whether it is for a date, a drinking buddy or to give him a piece of your mind for creating a litter hazard on the lake, just let me know.

RSG ~ Help the guy out. Post his number on Match.com . . . better yet, he sounds like he's more qualified for the CraigsList personals.

Throwing a glass bottle in the lake is all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out. And yes, if I hit that with a wake board it would probably break. The glass, it would sink to the bottom and start turning into sand again, Jimmi's phone number would be lost forever . . . dumb and dateless what a shame that would be. :devil:

p.s. Sorry to hear about your daughters foot and heres to a speed recovery.

wildwoodfam
07-06-2008, 04:15 PM
about a young girl who tossed a bottle with a message into a Maine lake in the early 70's - and the bottle was just recovered this summer by a young boy who found it washed up on shore! The boy called the number in the message and 40 years later - miraculously the young girl, now a woman still lived at that address!!:)

Cannot find the link to the story - or I would post it.

Argie's Wife
07-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Here's a rather bittersweet story about a message in a bottle:

Message In A Bottle Offers Closure
Note From A Marine No One Expected To Hear From Again Surfaces After His Death (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/20/assignment_america/main2111662.shtml)

nj2nh
07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
My parents live in southeastern Massachusetts along the beach on Mount Hope Bay (Fall River area). Anyway, when we were kids, we used to put messages in bottles and send them off, wondering if anyone would find them. I'd say about 90% of them just ended up on our beach anyway.

We did once find someone else's bottle and thought it must have come from some poor lost soul on a desert island. There was a note, but we couldn't read it anymore. It was fun and mysterious - especially to a 12-year-old.

nj2nh

twoplustwo
07-07-2008, 06:05 AM
http://www.newburyportnews.com/permalink/local_story_186200751.html

wildwoodfam
07-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for posting!

SteveA
07-07-2008, 10:51 AM
That song is stuck in my head now:(

I think Jimi would attract a better class of people if he weren't drinking Sutter by the jug:D

You meant "Message in a Bottle" I'm stuck with Steely Dans' "Jimmi Don't Lose that Number.." :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ( OK I changed the spelling of Jimmy)

Go ahead... try to get that song out of your head now! :confused::confused:

AND... What's wrong with Sutter Home? ( I think maybe the 5 litre "Box O'Wine")
wouldn't have floated! ;)

and.. yes I do know the Steely Dan song was "Rikki don't lose that number" but it's still stuck in my head.

twoplustwo
07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Knock it off, or I'll hunt down your phone number and sing the theme song from The Brady Bunch until you can't take it anymore:laugh:

*starts humming 'Rikki don't lose that number, it's the only one you want'*