PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to the Margate Beach Bar this season?

Cristen
06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I love the location of the Margate Beach Bar. The food/drinks are good as well. I was there on several occasions last summer, and the service was terrible. I'm hoping they tighten up their wait staff this season, as it's a beautiful spot to have lunch/cocktails on the lake.

Please let me know about your experiences this season.....

Thanks!

ishoot308
06-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Hello Cristen;

I went a few weekends ago, and nothing has changed from years past. I went by boat, sat outside, and waited...a LONG time! I'm never in a rush when I am at the lake so all was O.K. Food was just O.K. and drinks were good. It has been this way for many years and I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.

It's a great place to stop, you just cannot be in a hurry and hopefully they get your order right!

Take care!

Dan

KonaChick
07-01-2008, 10:10 AM
What's the dock situation like at the Margate? Thanks!!

VitaBene
07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
What's the dock situation like at the Margate? Thanks!!

There are 6 or so public docks there.

Cristen
07-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Hello Cristen;

I went a few weekends ago, and nothing has changed from years past. I went by boat, sat outside, and waited...a LONG time! I'm never in a rush when I am at the lake so all was O.K. Food was just O.K. and drinks were good. It has been this way for many years and I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.

It's a great place to stop, you just cannot be in a hurry and hopefully they get your order right!

Take care!

Dan

Thanks Dan. It's too bad they don't get better help because it really is a fantastic spot on the lake. Have a great 4th of July weekend. :)

Misha888
07-05-2008, 10:20 PM
is what the Margate needs. It's great that you can dodge the other boats on the way into Paugus Bay, but I don't think the high price of the weak drinks and frozen chicken fingers is hardly worth the gas or frustration of the channel.

You'd be better off going to Smith Cove, parking at the docks and walking up to the Lyon's Den. :rolleye2:

Meredith lady
07-19-2008, 07:47 AM
The Margate hasn't changed at all over the years as far as I am concerned-it's decor is outdated and the food is awful-not a favorite place of us locals

MaidenCove07
07-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Went there for the first time in my 30 something years on the lake.....

Got a spot for the jet ski at an ample public dock, though with a larger boat, the swimming kids and the rocks would have made me nervous.

Wandered up to the well shaded bar, got a beverage from a very friendly bartender named Mike almost instantly. The place was reasonable busy and despite the claims that they were short staffed, it seemed people were getting food and drinks very quickly

Perused the menu and was so hungry I couldn't choose, so I asked Mike for his recommendation. He suggested the Fish sandwich or the lobster roll....saw them both parading by to other tables (one of the ways I choose a meal...what does other people's food look like? :rolleye2:) and selected the fish sandwich as I'd has a LR back home earlier in the week...my companion chose the Iceburg wedge and chicken wings.

My sandwich was GREAT. A nice piece of haddock, lightly coated, with lettuce and tomato on a cibatta roll which I expected to be very hard - it wasn't. Tartar was served on the side - Ken's brand in little cups. I got to choose how much I wanted on the sandwich.

My companions Wedge was HUGE - nearly half a head of lettuce, very cold with tomatoes and red onions, the only thing missing was bacon which we're used to, but was not advertised so we weren't disappointed. The wings were typical bar food so nothing outstanding there, but the were cooked well done as requested. The did have WAY too much sauce on them though so they were particularly messy :look:.

Overall, we were pleasantly surprised to find a new waterside place for a beverage and a snack...we'll return...

Other good recommendations for such things would be great - how far is Lyons' from the water???

jkjoshuatree
07-28-2008, 07:18 AM
My wife and I went last week, found a spot at the dock and stopped in for a drink. There were two bartenders, the place was barely busy and it took a good six or seven minutes for the bartender to even notice us (there wasn't another person on our side of the bar).

After we finished our drink neither bartender came over at all! When we finally flagged one down, he put up his hand and said wait a minute. Then he and the other bartender waited on FOUR other people on the dock side of the bar (the side where people from the beach order their drinks).

I'd had enough at that point. I got up, without paying for my first drink, and started back towards the boat. My wife then waited in line with the other people on the dock side and was served almost immediately.

Needless to say, we didn't pay for that drink either. We just left.

Because of their horrible service (something similiar happened to us the first time we went there a few years ago-we swore we'd never be back, but decided to give it another try) they lost the profit on 4 drinks (not a big loss, I know), but more importantly, they lost two paying customers for life.